Juan Uribe Placed on Waivers

flavum

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
If this means Ramirez is going to get a lot of time at 2B, why is he in CF today? This is all very weird. Uribe is a very popular guy on the team. It could have some sort of effect on the team if they think he got screwed.

Yeah, I agree. Something doesn't smell right. Maybe they DON'T think he will be claimed? I have no idea...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
If this means Ramirez is going to get a lot of time at 2B, why is he in CF today? This is all very weird. Uribe is a very popular guy on the team. It could have some sort of effect on the team if they think he got screwed.

Yea, thats what I pointd out a while ago. Makes no sense for Ramirez not to be at 2B unless

A) A 2B is going to be traded for

B) Ramirez could be traded for a team looking for a CF

QUOTE(JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
B) Ramirez could be traded for a team looking for a CF

Horrid idea. Worse than trading Richar, Quentin, or Fields. Sign a guy, see him performing well and impressing, and then deal him while he's under contract for 4 years before he's played a single MLB game and had any chance to prove he's a decent player?

Well it's really an interesting situation, and one I certainly didn't expect to see when I logged on this morning.

All the talk in Spring Training was that Uribe was the favourite to win 2nd base. Ramirez was too raw at 2B and Richar has been injured.

I wonder if something has changed suddenly there (probably with Alexei), or whether this was their plan all along.

My thoughts on Uribe are well known, I don't think he's a starter, and he's overpaid to be a backup.

But the Sox better well hope that someone claims him or that they can trade hin, because the situation has not been well handled ever since the start of the off-season (the Uribe / Cabrera scenario).

Because otherwise it's a huge waster of resources, paying 4.5M to a guy who you are not even going to use.

That money could have been used to upgrade at 1 more spot on the MLB level, or to put it towards the draft or some more signings from the Latin America region.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Are these the same waivers Manny Ramirez was placed on? Is it a certainty if he's not claimed he will be released?

No. Manny (and a lot of major leaguers) was placed on revocable waivers. From what I've read, Juan was put on irrevocable waivers and designated for assignment, meaning the Sox have 10 days to decide whether they want to assign him to the minors or to release him. From what it sounds like, the minors aren't going to happen (not too sure if they're an option at this point either, I don't know the MLB's waiver rules as much as I'd like to), and he'll probably be released if no one claims him.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
Are these the same waivers Manny Ramirez was placed on? Is it a certainty if he's not claimed he will be released?

Those waivers are during the year, and a lot of GMs use that method to hide who they really want to get rid of, or to conceal a trade. The team has the right to refuse the waiver but then they are not allowed to trade him/move him at all. If he clears waivers, the team is free to trade him.

It's a big confusion method.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Hence the word: irrevoccable

Irrevocable is for the waiver part. You would use revocable waivers to guage interest. If someone claimed him, you would lose him now. Revocables you can pull back. The Tribune is now reporting that Juan knows nothing about the waiver deal, and plans to travel with the team to Phoenix tomorrow, so they must be the same as Ramirez. If nobody claims him, I believe he's still a White Sox. Yes.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
According to Levine, if noone claims him the Sox can either release him or leave him on the roster as if nothing happened.

And the last time the White Sox ate $4.1 million was...................................

If nobody claims him, he'll probably be in Cleveland March 31.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:18 PM)
Is there any theory on why this happened now? Is it because there are about 10 days until the season starts and they wanted to clear this up before opening day?

My guess is that they want to move him but other teams are asking them to eat more salary than they wish to.