Juan Uribe Placed on Waivers

flavum

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:18 PM)
Is there any theory on why this happened now? Is it because there are about 10 days until the season starts and they wanted to clear this up before opening day?

Well, you aren't going to put Alexei, Richar or Ozuna on waivers. Might as well check and see if anyone is willing to take him off your hands...and $4.5 mil...and if not, trade him for a bag of balls. If it's revocable, why the hell not....

Im sure KW is working on some sort of a deal right now. I doubt they are going to let him go for nothing. Brian Roberts and Ellis seem to be the two names mentioned.... Is Ramirez ready to play 2b every day? I think Uribe was better defensively at 2b and Richar is injured.. Something has to be in the works.. Especially if Ramirez was playing CF today..they wouldn't put him out there today if they knew he is going to be our every day 2b. It should be an interesting 3 days.

Just contacted Chris Rongey, who does the pre and post games for The Score, and he says nothing has happened with Uribe just yet. He also doesn't understand where this comes from besides a money standpoint, and I agree with him on that. Sure, Uribe isn't an All-Star, and I don't even like him at that, but, he was said to be in the lead for the 2B job. I'm confused. "Ranger" also feels something with Uribe is imminent though. On another note, he says Fields' condition is bruised arm - day-to-day.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
That great insider, Chris Rongey", should of watched the game on TV. Hawk and DJ mention them cutting Uribe during the broadcast.

He's in AZ. I don't know about any of this Uribe stuff. It's just what he told me.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
He's AZ. I don't know about any of this Uribe stuff. It's just what he told me.

Cowley was on the score about an hour ago. He spoke to Uribe tonight and Uribe told him he's headed to Phoenix with the team tomorrow... so if he's been cut, I guess he's going to start stalking them.

Uribe told Cowley that neither KW or Ozzie said anything to him today about waivers.

I agree with the theory that unless Uribe blew up at Ozzie or KW, there has to be a trade in the works. The Sox would be better off keeping him as a backup in case Cabrera gets hurt than risk letting him go for nothing and pay his salary anyway. He's hitting .300 this spring. It would make more sense to keep him in case another team's shortstop got hurt. KW may very well be going after Roberts. That would solve the lead off problem and allow Anderson to start in center.

QUOTE(wsgdf_2 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
Cowley was on the score about an hour ago. He spoke to Uribe tonight and Uribe told him he's headed to Phoenix with the team tomorrow... so if he's been cut, I guess he's going to start stalking them.

Uribe told Cowley that neither KW or Ozzie said anything to him today about waivers.

Cowely is hardly a source to take credibly. They don't have to talk to Uribe or his agent. The waiver is not a public thing that they openly discuss with everyone. I have a hard time believing that this would be such a crazy story on all the stations, and up on whitesox.com without any shred of truth to it. They would of immediately have come back with a comment that it isnt true.

Zach asked Cowley about who would replace him. He kept on repeating how shocked he was about the move, and it doesnt make sense.

Cowely also stated in the same speech that getting a Mark Ellis is a lateral move and doesnt improve from Uribe at all. Mark Ellis who had an OPS+ of 110 last year, hit .276 and had a OBP of .336. These number pretty much crush Uribe's numbers and he also hit 19 dongs playing in a much larger park.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
Could it be that the team just put him on waivers to gauge other teams interest? And that we all got excited over nothing because in 3 days the Sox will revoke the waivers and he'll still be on the roster?

I would hope we already know what the interest is.

This isn't a player that the public would react negatively to if mentioned in trade rumors. This is a guy who has lost his position, has been the source of constant criticism both by the fanbase as well as the organization, and who's play has deteriorated both offensively and defensively.

I don't mean to sound like a dead horse here, but it seems as if the only logical explanation is that they are hoping someone will claim him and thus have to pay his entire salary, as opposed to the team eating a portion of it as part of a potential trade.

Who knows though. Seems everyone is fairly baffled by this.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
The waiver is not a public thing that they openly discuss with everyone.

In accordance with Major League rules, the White Sox are not allowed to comment on the rumor. - per Merkin's article

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Uribe's agent, Martin Arburua, said he has not been informed of Uribe being waived.

"I haven't heard anything like that," Arburua told a pool of reporters. "Everything I've been told by the club was positive about Juan. I heard he was hitting well, playing great defense. That would be a shock." - also from Merkin's article

Interesting stuff.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
Could it be that the team just put him on waivers to gauge other teams interest? And that we all got excited over nothing because in 3 days the Sox will revoke the waivers and he'll still be on the roster?

So you have whitesox.com, the announcers for your tv broadcast, your flagship radio station, and just about every news outlet turning this story. You have people contacting the player and the agent, for a fishing trip. I doubt it. If its this open, and they havent openly refuted it either publicly or by telling Cowely directly as an unamed source. I mean how do you do that, then welcome the player back with open arms.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
Can someone summarize 15 pages here? Is it official?

The White sox aren't allowed to officially comment on the waiver wire per MLB's rules. It has been mentionned on all of the local press sources and has an article on Whitesox.com reporting on the rumor. The only denials appear to have come from the Uribe camp, who might not have known anyway. It's impossible for this to be confirmed until either he's claimed or given his outright release.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
So you have whitesox.com, the announcers for your tv broadcast, your flagship radio station, and just about every news outlet turning this story. You have people contacting the player and the agent, for a fishing trip. I doubt it. If its this open, and they havent openly refuted it either publicly or by telling Cowely directly as an unamed source. I mean how do you do that, then welcome the player back with open arms.

Because it's a business. If someone wants him...take him. If not...what have the Sox lost? Nuthin'. So what if he's pissed? Tough tittie toenails.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
Just contacted Chris Rongey, who does the pre and post games for The Score, and he says nothing has happened with Uribe just yet. He also doesn't understand where this comes from besides a money standpoint, and I agree with him on that. Sure, Uribe isn't an All-Star, and I don't even like him at that, but, he was said to be in the lead for the 2B job. I'm confused. "Ranger" also feels something with Uribe is imminent though. On another note, he says Fields' condition is bruised arm - day-to-day.

Did you also ask him why he would care since he's a cubs fan?