Why the love obsession with Toby Hall?

maggsmaggs

Who should be the back up catcher?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Back-up Catcher

• Donny Lucy
    • Toby Hall
    • Other

He can't a lick, his D is okay, but his arm is terrible now from the surgery. I highly doubt he can be a great game caller. I know the Sox are the leash for some $$ with him, but why should he make the team over Lucy who is superior in all aspects of D, would bring more energy, help for his developement and would probably be a better hitter. All I know is Toby Hall's days as a solid hitting catcher are gone and he won't throw out runners. Lucy >> Hall. Comments? Anyone agree? Disagree?

Edited by knightni

when hall was brought in he was a decent defensive catcher and was relatively proficient at hitting lefties, which was what we needed....unfortunately the injury has cost him alot and right now im not so sure lucy would be any worse out there

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
He can't a lick, his D is okay, but his arm is terrible now from the surgery. I highly doubt he can be a great game caller. I know the Sox are the leash for some $$ with him, but why should he make the team over Lucy who is superior in all aspects of D, would bring more energy, help for his developement and would probably be a better hitter. All I know is Toby Hall's days as a solid hitting catcher are gone and he won't throw out runners. Lucy >> Hall. Comments? Anyone agree? Disagree?

I've got to agree with you here. They need to quit wasting money on Hall. He isn't worth it. They should just bring Lucy up for 3 reasons. #1. He will probably be better than Hall and #2. He is a ton cheaper than Hall and #3. Let him develop in the majors.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
I've got to agree with you here. They need to quit wasting money on Hall. He isn't worth it. They should just bring Lucy up for 3 reasons. #1. He will probably be better than Hall and #2. He is a ton cheaper than Hall and #3. Let him develop in the majors.

The problem is they are going to have to pay him no matter what. Lucy can use some more seasoning. Considering how due Hall is for a hot streak, they might as well keep him on the roster. The back-up catcher doesn't get much time with AJP around. If AJ gets hurt, the Sox are in trouble.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
We've got people basically asking us to eat, what, basically 12-13 million in salary this year to not play Crede, Uribe, MacDougal and Hall? We're not exactly paying guys for s***s and giggles.

Last year they were.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
I remember getting flamed last season when I said losing Hall (same time last season) wasn't a big loss. I still have yet to be proven wrong.

What? I don't think you could have been more wrong. Had he not been injured he might have produced something like his career numbers.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
What? I don't think you could have been more wrong. Had he not been injured he might have produced something like his career numbers.

Oh please, he barely produces anywheres. He was a throw in a trade to the Dodgers and obviously they released him for Russell Martin. He was a free agent for months and no one wanted him and then Kenny cam along and overpaid for him when he was competing with no other team.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)
Losing Hall last year was big enough.

It opened the door to Gustavo Molina, which in turn caused Andy Gonzalez and Luis Terrero to look good in comparison.

nor the injuries to Crede, Pablo, and decline years of Dye and Count didn't play a factor into last year.

Also the experiment gone wrong with Brian Anderson and missing Thome for over a month.

Missing Hall meant nothing last season.

People underestimate the value of a backup catcher, but Chris Widger absolutely killed us in 2006. I was calling for his release in May and I think he was canned in June after a pathetic outing against the Tigers where he left a ton of guys on base and the Sox lost a close one.

I was in the minority during the Hall signing by not going completely gaga over him because I wanted a more true backup catcher like Jose Molina or Henry Blanco. Hall's career numbers against lefties were greatly exaggeration and for his figure (6-2, 255 Lbs) he has no power at all.

Right now against LHP he is a career .275/.319/.377/.717 hitter. That's very Erstad like.

Jim Thome in 2006 against LHP: .236/.354/.361/.715 There's clearly a difference in BA, but look at the OPS. We know Thome sucks against LHP (career: .240/.342/.415/.757) yet some how Toby is a left handed specalist, and "mashes" them? BS

Another thing I recall pointing out was his "effectiveness" against the LHP in our division. He sucks against Sabathia, good against Cliff Lee (everyone including Thome is too,) a soft hitter against Kenny Rogers (7-21, all singles, .725 OPS,) and horrendous against Santana.

He's out of shape, slow, can't throw anyone out, can't hit, our pitchers had better ERAs with Gustavo Molina in, and talks big. He's also one of the highest paid backup catchers in the league.

He didn't get surgery after coming back early (conviently it was right around the collapse of the team and bullpen) so if he doesn't feel healthy at the end of camp, they should send a message and cut his fat ass instead of putting him on the DL.

Rant over.

Phillips seems like a palatable option as of now. Maybe we can find some team in need of a backup catcher and trade him.

as mentioned before.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds are actively seeking a catcher and could offer Ryan Freel.

The Reds want some help because of Dave Ross's injury, and Freel, who is owed $7 million over the next two years, has been available since the end of last season. About the only Freel-for-catching deal that would make sense would have him go to San Diego for Michael Barrett. No other team has both an expendable catcher and a need for Freel in their lineup. Perhaps the Reds should simply sign Mike Piazza. They're in a division that doesn't do a lot of basestealing anyway.

He's a grinder/cokehead, leadoff hitter, played second base and steals bases!