Did we get screwed by our schedule?

joeynach

Looking at this years schedule it just looks very unfavorable on paper. First of all we have 16 home games in April, terrible attendance and weather month (bound to be a ton of make ups) and we have 20 Road games in May, a much better weather and attendance month. We have a 10 game road trip out west in May, we have a 10 game road trip end of July, we have a 9 game road trip end of August, and we have a 10 game road trip at the end of Sept (including 4 at NYY). Thats just seems a little extreme to me, on paper, to have so many extended road and home stretches instead of more balanced schedule that would have less peaks and vallys. Just for comparison the cubs have 1 road trip of 9 games and their next longest are 7 gamers. The indians have an 11 game road trip and a 9 gamer, none of which are down the stetch in Sept. Just seems a little odd thats all im saying.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
Looking at this years schedule it just looks very unfavorable on paper. First of all we have 16 home games in April, terrible attendance and weather month (bound to be a ton of make ups) and we have 20 Road games in May, a much better weather and attendance month. We have a 10 game road trip out west in May, we have a 10 game road trip end of July, we have a 9 game road trip end of August, and we have a 10 game road trip at the end of Sept (including 4 at NYY). Thats just seems a little extreme to me, on paper, to have so many extended road and home stretches instead of more balanced schedule that would have less peaks and vallys. Just for comparison the cubs have 1 road trip of 9 games and their next longest are 7 gamers. The indians have an 11 game road trip and a 9 gamer, none of which are down the stetch in Sept. Just seems a little odd thats all im saying.

The schedule doesn't seem to change much from year to year. I mean it seems like we open the season vs. the Indians every season. There's a lot that goes into making a 162 game schedule, so MLB probably tries to keep it that way just for the sake of making it easier. I'm sure you could look at every team's schedule and find things that would make you think it's unfavorable.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
IIRC, when the Sox won the title in 05, they were damn good on the road.

Don't those long road trips by definition get balanced by a lot of games at home?

June is a good month for the White Sox. They are in TB on Sunday the 1st. Go to Detroit June10-12 play at the Cubs 1 weekend and have 3 games in LA vs. the Dodgers after 1 of the 4 off days. It all evens out. 7 games total outside of Chicago in a month. There are a few series that end on Monday this year which is odd.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
The odd thing is that we don't play KC until June 3rd, yet we play LAA 7 times before playing KC once.

Also, joey, your original schedule thread is here: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...;p=1517864&

Hahaha I was wondering if I posted about it earlier.....see what happens when u smoke and drink too much kids.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
IIRC, when the Sox won the title in 05, they were damn good on the road.

Don't those long road trips by definition get balanced by a lot of games at home?

Thats kinda what Im saying it seems our schedules has more extremes than others. Longer road and home stands, months with either ton of home games or a ton of road games. I would like to things a little but more balanced I guess, maybe thats just the engineer in me talking.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Thats kinda what Im saying it seems our schedules has more extremes than others. Longer road and home stands, months with either ton of home games or a ton of road games. I would like to things a little but more balanced I guess, maybe thats just the engineer in me talking.

No team is ready for cold april baseball after playing spring training. For the civil rights game I would not send the whole team. allowing several of our starting players to go to chicago so they can acclimate themselves to our weather.

Edited by forrestg

QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Doesn't longer homestands and road trips equate to less travel?

I would much rather only fly twice a week than four times a week.

All I'll add is that opening week last year, I went to the Saturday game (and opening day). It was the coldest &!^!%! baseball game I have ever been to, bar none (-20 wind chill). A few of us were excited because there was talk of moving the game up to Milwaukee--inside--but that didn't happen.

After that game, crappy 40 degree days don't phase me a bit. Bring it.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Opening Day @ Cleveland, Forecast: High 44, Low 21, 60% Chance of Precip, Wind 14 mph.

I know it is still a week away, but that is ugly.

Its stupid scheduling. I know the teams in warm weather and that have domes don't want their home games being played in April when kids are in school, but they should at least put as many games as possible into those locations until at least the middle of April. The Brewers with their dome come to Chicago twice in April. I know the games will sell out, but what about possible rainouts or coldouts or just the disinegration of the quality of the game when its ridiculously cold.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
Its stupid scheduling. I know the teams in warm weather and that have domes don't want their home games being played in April when kids are in school, but they should at least put as many games as possible into those locations until at least the middle of April. The Brewers with their dome come to Chicago twice in April. I know the games will sell out, but what about possible rainouts or coldouts or just the disinegration of the quality of the game when its ridiculously cold.

That was exactly my point in a thread that I made in The Diamond Club a few weeks back.

Why not schedule the warmer weather/dome teams at home the first week and a half of the season?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)

Why does this seem to be more of an issue over the last couple of years compared to say 25 years ago?

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
Why does this seem to be more of an issue over the last couple of years compared to say 25 years ago?

Since they added a round to the playoffs and changed the ALCS from a best of 5 to best of 7, the season starts about a week earlier than it used to. Before that, it started even a week later than that. A lot of the cold weather teams wouldn't open at home, so there's 2 weeks or 3 in some cases. You're obviously not going to avoid all of the foul April weather, but they should at least try to do something about it. I have a stub somewhere for the opener of Comiskey Park II. I think the date was April 18th.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
Since they added a round to the playoffs and changed the ALCS from a best of 5 to best of 7, the season starts about a week earlier than it used to. Before that, it started even a week later than that. A lot of the cold weather teams wouldn't open at home, so there's 2 weeks or 3 in some cases. You're obviously not going to avoid all of the foul April weather, but they should at least try to do something about it. I have a stub somewhere for the opener of Comiskey Park II. I think the date was April 18th.
That was 1991 and was one of the latest home openers in awhile:

Sox Home Opener

08 - Apr7

07 - Apr2

06 - Apr2

05 - Apr4

04 - Apr13

03 - Apr4

02 - Apr12

01 - Apr6

00 - Apr14

99 - Apr9

98 - Apr6

97 - Apr4

96 - Apr9

95 - Apr27

94 - Apr8

93 - Apr9

92 - Apr13

91 - Apr18

90 - Apr9

89 - Apr14

88 - Apr4

87 - Apr10

86 - Apr7

85 - Apr19

84 - Apr6

83 - Apr12

Edited by RME JICO

It should be noted that 1995 was an anomaly, correct? I don't remember, all baseball from 1994 on to about 1999 or 2000 is fuzzy to me at best, the only thing I can clearly remember is Kerry Wood's 20-K game and obviously the home run chase.