Dye hitting .179

Bubba Philips

Ya know some hitters actually do better against the regular pitchers they will see once the season begins. Some hitters stuggle against the plethora of no name young fireballs constantly being thrown out there in Spring. I have a feeling Dye does better against pitchers he is more familair with, watch him light up CC, Bonderman, Rogers, etc once the season starts.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
The sub-topics (topic descriptions) that the moderators are adding to some of these threads lately are absolutely hilarious.
Overreacting ?Wasn't weak hitting Dye's m.o. last season. His weak hitting lasted until August or september. He brought it up to some decent level by the end of the season. Edited by forrestg

forrestg I imagine the contract status, and JD not knowing whether or not he would be on this team much longer probably had something to do with that.

2007 was really the only season he had a slow start for us. Just look at these numbers since he's been here.

2005;

Pre ASB - .270/.331/.528

Post ASB - .279/.336/.494

2006;

Pre ASB - .318/.397/.646

Post ASB - .313/.371/.595

2007;

Pre ASB - .214/.271/.402

Post ASB - .298/.368/.579

Dye has slowed down to speed of a crippled old man since 06, it looks like. Whenever I see him fielding, it looks like I accidentally hit the slow-mo button on the tivo. And at bat, it looks like he is swinging a piece of sagging baloney.

I really disliked the deal we gave him at the time, and I would not be surprised to see Dye have a repeat performance from last year's miserable 1st half. We should have really let him go for a couple draft picks, IMO.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
Overreacting ?Wasn't weak hitting Dye's m.o. last season. His weak hitting lasted until August or september. He brought it up to some decent level by the end of the season.

Yes you're overreacting. It's f***ing spring training. Don't worry about it and take numbers with a grain of salt.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
Dye has slowed down to speed of a crippled old man since 06, it looks like. Whenever I see him fielding, it looks like I accidentally hit the slow-mo button on the tivo. And at bat, it looks like he is swinging a piece of sagging baloney.

I really disliked the deal we gave him at the time, and I would not be surprised to see Dye have a repeat performance from last year's miserable 1st half. We should have really let him go for a couple draft picks, IMO.

He's only 34 so he should have a good season or 2 left in him I think.

Something around his 2005 season is what I expect from him. A .274/.333/.512 line or there abouts, somewhere around a .850 OPS with 30 HR's for the season.

The Sox couldn't really afford to let Dye go for a couple of draft picks, because how were they to know that BA would become a factor based on his spring training, and whether or not they knew that Quentin would become available when they re-signed Dye?

QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
Ya know some hitters actually do better against the regular pitchers they will see once the season begins. Some hitters stuggle against the plethora of no name young fireballs constantly being thrown out there in Spring. I have a feeling Dye does better against pitchers he is more familair with, watch him light up CC, Bonderman, Rogers, etc once the season starts.

FWIW (probably very little), Dye had traditionally hit quite well in spring training: http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/jermaine-dye.shtml

Dye hasn't exactly been the model of consistency over his career and it's hard to know what we're going to get from him.