Discussion of racism and Michelle Obama

DrunkBomber

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
I just think you should be careful tossing around the word racist.

If John McCain had been a member of a church for 20 years that could be proven to have been led by an anti-black pastor, he'd have been ripped to shreds a long long time ago. He would have been guilty of racism by association. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Obama, not so much.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 06:22 PM)
Also, I forgot to address this but do you realize that SHE personally said in the interview that she got into Princeton because of affirmative action but a CAMPAIGN SPOKESPERSON said otherwise? Is that seriously what you tried to use to combat the argument? Youre going to take a campaign spokespersons word over the actual person and then act like I had been exposed by trying to cover that page up or something.

Is anyone actually told "you got in because of affirmative action?" How would anyone except the admissions office know?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
If John McCain had been a member of a church for 20 years that could be proven to have been led by an anti-black pastor, he'd have been ripped to shreds a long long time ago. He would have been guilty of racism by association. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Obama, not so much.

Except, the reality has been the opposite. McCain's spiritual advisor has been credited with some statements that are very inflammatory, just like Obama's pastor. And yet, which story is getting all the press?

Don't get me wrong, I think normally, we might be hearing a lot more about McCain's background than we are. But there are a few other factors at work. For one, with the Dem race still being bitterly fought, their issues will be scrutinized more closely. For another thing, I don't think there is any denying that people of all races in this country are having various types of issues with having our first serious black candidate. The very nature of that causes all sorts of emotional reactions.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)
Except, the reality has been the opposite. McCain's spiritual advisor has been credited with some statements that are very inflammatory, just like Obama's pastor. And yet, which story is getting all the press?

Don't get me wrong, I think normally, we might be hearing a lot more about McCain's background than we are. But there are a few other factors at work. For one, with the Dem race still being bitterly fought, their issues will be scrutinized more closely. For another thing, I don't think there is any denying that people of all races in this country are having various types of issues with having our first serious black candidate. The very nature of that causes all sorts of emotional reactions.

Elaborate on McCain's 'spiritual advisor' please.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
Elaborate on McCain's 'spiritual advisor' please.

Reverend Rod Parsley of the World Harvest Church of Columbus, Ohio -- whom Sen. John McCain hails as a spiritual adviser -- has suggested on several occasions that the U.S. government was complicit in facilitating black genocide.

In speeches that have gone largely unnoticed, Parsley (who is white) compares Planned Parenthood, the reproductive care and family planning group, to the Klu Klux Klan and Nazis, and describes the American government as enablers of murder for supporting the organization.

"If I were call for the sterilization or the elimination of an entire segment of society, I'd be labeled a racists or a murderer, or at very best a Nazi," says Parsley. "That every single year, millions of our tax dollars are funding a national organization built upon that very goal -- their target: African Americans. That's right, the death toll: nearly fifteen hundred African Americans a day. The shocking truth of black genocide."

He goes on.

"Right now our own government is allowing organizations like Planned Parenthood to legally take the innocent lives of precious baby girls and baby boys and even footing the bill for it all with our tax dollars, turning every single one of us into accessories to murder," he says. "You know who their biggest fans must be, that must be the Klu Klux Klan, because the woman who founded this organization detested black people.... African Americans were number one on Margaret Sanger's list. So this 'Lady MacDeath,' as I like to call her, studied the works of Englishman Thomas Robert Malthus, and embraced his plan of eugenics."

LINK

Another snippet from the article...

This is the second time that controversial remarks by Parsley have surfaced on the campaign trail. Last week, David Corn of Mother Jones reported that the televangelist "called upon Christians to wage a 'war' against the 'false religion' of Islam with the aim of destroying it."

Yep. That's one reason why I'm against abortion and think McCain needs to get on board. I don't see the racism though, when he points out the 1500 African-American are destroyed daily. In fact, I see just the opposit.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
Yep. That's one reason why I'm against abortion and think McCain needs to get on board. I don't see the racism though, when he points out the 1500 African-American are destroyed daily. In fact, I see just the opposit.

Are you also for waging a holy war against the false religion of Islam?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 08:26 AM)
Are you also for waging a holy war against the false religion of Islam?

I'll say this much. If the peaceful, law abiding Islamic people don't stand up and put a stop to the extremism that is so very prevelent in today's world, they won't have much to b**** about when the s*** hits the fan. It's been almost 7 years since 9-11 and you hear very very little moderation from the Islamic community. If they won't stand up for themselves, why should I?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
I'll say this much. If the peaceful, law abiding Islamic people don't stand up and put a stop to the extremism that is so very prevelent in today's world, they won't have much to b**** about when the s*** hits the fan. It's been almost 7 years since 9-11 and you hear very very little moderation from the Islamic community. If they won't stand up for themselves, why should I?

You didn't answer the question.

And don't you find offense to what the pastor said? Would you take offense if a religious leader called Christianity a false religion?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 08:36 AM)
You didn't answer the question.

And don't you find offense to what the pastor said? Would you take offense if a religious leader called Christianity a false religion?

To directly answer your question, No ... I don't think we should wage a war against Islam. Unless, of course, Islam gives us no choice by waging war against us and we are left with no choice.

To answer question #2 ... I think Christianity has been corrupted and defiled to the extent that yes, it is now a false religion. I believe in a personal relationship with God and Jesus and I don't need the 'guidance' of the church to acheive said relationship. So no, I wouldn't take offense.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
To directly answer your question, No ... I don't think we should wage a war against Islam. Unless, of course, Islam gives us no choice by waging war against us and we are left with no choice.

To answer question #2 ... I think Christianity has been corrupted and defiled to the extent that yes, it is now a false religion. I believe in a personal relationship with God and Jesus and I don't need the 'guidance' of the church to acheive said relationship. So no, I wouldn't take offense.

You might not particularly take offense to a statement like that but having a religious leader call an entire religion false and to suggest waging a holy war against said religion is a bit cuckoo if you ask me. Where exactly is the press coverage on this? Preaching hatred is only newsworthy if it involves race?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)

This is one of the falsehoods I see taken as fact a lot, when discussing religious extremism. People are wondering why there isn't moderation in the Islamic community. There is.

Let's look at it in this admitedly simplistic way. Here is a list of countries with large Islamic populations, where extremism and violence are minimal (not gone mind you, but rare)...

Turkey

Jordan

Kuwait

Qatar

Bahrain

UAE

Oman

India

Bangladesh

Tunisia

*various Stans

On the other side of the spectrum, countries with major extremism issues, either internally or by exporting it/promoting it...

Iran

Iraq

Syria

Saudi Arabia

Yemen

Somalia

Pakistan

Afghanistan

Algeria

Sudan

*various other Stans

And finally, a few countries I'd suggest are teetering on the edge, having some issues but also some control...

Egypt

Indonesia

Taking a look at this lists, I see a lot of countries in trouble, but also a lot of countries not. To say there isn't any moderation is, I think, inaccurate.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 08:47 AM)
You might not particularly take offense to a statement like that but having a religious leader call an entire religion false and to suggest waging a holy war against said religion is a bit cuckoo if you ask me. Where exactly is the press coverage on this? Preaching hatred is only newsworthy if it involves race?

The esteemed Reverend Jeremiah Wright preached hate towards America and towards white people. Obama sat in this man's church for twenty years and listened to his hatemongering toward me and my nation. When called out on it, he refused to disavow the esteemed reverend. I consider it at the very least an extreme lack of judgement on Obama's part. Michelle Obama has made her feelings well known in regards to how she views this nation. Their daughters have been raised listening to Wright's vile teachings. I don't want such a man as my president. Period.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
Obama sat in this man's church for twenty years and listened to his hatemongering toward me and my nation.

So you know for a FACT that the reverend preached nothing but hate for 20 consecutive years, each and every week?

And you can see that the hatred rubbed off on Obama. He exudes hatred towards whites and America. What a vile human being.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
So you know for a FACT that the reverend preached nothing but hate for 20 consecutive years, each and every week?

What he preached is public record. I didn't say it was each and every week for 20 years. He said enough. I never thought I'd say this about anybody, but at this point in time, I'd rather have Hillary in the Oval Office.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
What he preached is public record. I didn't say it was each and every week for 20 years. He said enough. I never thought I'd say this about anybody, but at this point in time, I'd rather have Hillary in the Oval Office.

My father preached hatred for the 34 years of my life. He's one of the biggest racists I know. I am the complete opposite. So should everyone label me a racist because of my father's beliefs?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
My father preached hatred for the 34 years of my life. He's one of the biggest racists I know. I am the complete opposite. So should everyone label me a racist because of my father's beliefs?

You didn't choose your father. Obama did choose his pastor.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
You didn't choose your father. Obama did choose his pastor.

I'm sure the moment they met the first thing the Reverend said was f*&% whitey and America and Obama said "Oh yeah! This is the church I'm going to."

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
I'm sure the moment they met the first thing the Reverend said was f*&% whitey and America and Obama said "Oh yeah! This is the church I'm going to."

It's not what he said when they met that I have an issue with. It's what's been said over the course of time, with Obama sitting in the pews, having Wright perform his wedding ceremony, perform the baptism of his children, become Godfather to his his children. How much more do you need to see that the real Obama is not the one that he is presenting to the voting public?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:02 AM)

Thank goodness. It's people like you that break the stereotypes that are out there, unlike the 'esteemed' Reverend Wright, and that's the point.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
It's not what he said when they met that I have an issue with. It's what's been said over the course of time, with Obama sitting in the pews, having Wright perform his wedding ceremony, perform the baptism of his children, become Godfather to his his children. How much more do you need to see that the real Obama is not the one that he is presenting to the voting public?

After reading both of his books and following his political career since his Illinois Senate days I have seen nothing that has led me to believe that Obama is a hateful person.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
After reading both of his books and following his political career since his Illinois Senate days I have seen nothing that has led me to believe that Obama is a hateful person.

He may not be, but what about the people surrounding him? What about the cabinet posts? You all like to cook George W. Bush on the same s***, well, think about that for a moment...

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)

Ok man. You vote your way, I'll vote mine. I've made my position more than clear.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
He may not be, but what about the people surrounding him? What about the cabinet posts? You all like to cook George W. Bush on the same s***, well, think about that for a moment...

Overall I think he has pretty good people surrounding him. Each of the 3 candidates have some questionable people surrounding them.