Clinton 'misspoke' about Bosnia trip in '96

knightni

It's really not that big of an issue to me whether she "misremembered" or not but to me it just brings more attention to the fact that she's been exaggerating her foreign policy experience and that's supposedly a major advantage over Obama. She really doesn't have that much foreign policy experience.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
Sinbad/Sheryl Crow in '08!

That's an awfully sexist thing to say. Crow is more popular and should be on top of the ticket.

Besides, she's better looking.

How do you misspeak about something that never happened. I can see if this had happened to her some other flight to some other place...and she was saying I misspoke, I was thinking of such and such. But when you just fabricate something out of thin air...how can you use misspeaking as an excuse. You weren't misrembering or misspeaking..you were bulls***ting...

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
How do you misspeak about something that never happened. I can see if this had happened to her some other flight to some other place...and she was saying I misspoke, I was thinking of such and such. But when you just fabricate something out of thin air...how can you use misspeaking as an excuse. You weren't misrembering or misspeaking..you were bulls***ting...

I agree. Just like Obama was bulls***ting when he said he never heard Wright spew his anti-America hatred in 20 years of being a member of his church. Neither one is credilble.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
I agree. Just like Obama was bulls***ting when he said he never heard Wright spew his anti-America hatred in 20 years of being a member of his church. Neither one is credilble.

That's a distortion of the truth.

If you don't like him you don't like him but you don't have to do that.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
That's a distortion of the truth.

If you don't like him you don't like him but you don't have to do that.

It's not a distortion. The man was a member of that church for over 20 years. Personally, when he says never heard that anti-American rhetoric, I think he's lying through his pearly whites. If he did hear it, he should have instantly walked out and disassociated himself.

This is an issue that needs much more scrutiny, not just an "oh well". Sorry, but this man is trying to become POTUS. If he can't stand the heat, he needs to get out of the kitchen.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
It's not a distortion. The man was a member of that church for over 20 years. Personally, when he says never heard that anti-American rhetoric, I think he's lying through his pearly whites. If he did hear it, he should have instantly walked out and disassociated himself.

This is an issue that needs much more scrutiny, not just an "oh well". Sorry, but this man is trying to become POTUS. If he can't stand the heat, he needs to get out of the kitchen.

Why don't we bring this issue into EVERY thread in Soxtalk.

I can't wait to discuss Obama's pastor in today's game thread.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)

He definitely tried to tap-dance his way out of it but he didn't tell any blatant bald-faced lies or say anything in direct contradiction with something else he'd already said. The first time he was asked about it he said "I knew he was prone to saying controversial things but nothing ever as bad as that 9-11 sermon, and I wasn't there for that particular sermon b/c I was out of town" and pretty much tried to avoid the question and hope it'd go away. Then when it didn't go away he had to come clean about the extent of the rhetoric he was exposed to, which is more than he let on in the beginning.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
Why don't we bring this issue into EVERY thread in Soxtalk.

I can't wait to discuss Obama's pastor in today's game thread.

Don't call me out on distorting the truth if you don't want to hear the truth.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
Don't call me out on distorting the truth if you don't want to hear the truth.

I would never disagree about Wright, but I will have to disagree about this "truth" - Obama clearly stated he HAD head the Reverend say some questionable things that he disagreed with. When did he deny that? I may have missed it, in all seriousness.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
I would never disagree about Wright, but I will have to disagree about this "truth" - Obama clearly stated he HAD head the Reverend say some questionable things that he disagreed with. When did he deny that? I may have missed it, in all seriousness.

From what I understand, and I can't prove it because I'm too damn lazy to search for it, Obama at first said he hadn't heard the questionable comments, and then said he he did but objected to them. I don't know what the truth is.

I have an interesting analogy here as to how BAD of a "misspeak" this is and how it was meant to be an outright lie.

Back in November of 2006, my family and I were vacationing in Orlando Florida. On our way back to our time share we heard tornado warnings on the radio. Them moments later a tornado swept across the road in front of us. Our windshield was shattered. We almost died, but we all survived, but it was close. It was a very scary situation!

The real story: The tornado was several miles south of our condo and we never saw it. only saw footage of the damage on the news that evening.

You dont just "misspeak" major details like that.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
He said he hadn't heard the Youtube sermons in question, and that he actually didn't find out about them until he started running for president. He tried to avoid talking about the rest as much as he could and limit the damage but that didn't work so he had to acknowledge he's heard Wright say controversial things.

What he did not say is "yeah, ok actually I was at that 9-11 sermon."

Well he did disinvite the guy to his coming out party...so he had to know of the controversial remarks back then.

He did say this before his speech: The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. -- Barack Obama, Huffington Post, March 14, 2008

So when he gave his speech March 18th, I wanted to hear if that statement was the truth or not. In his speech he says he heard remarks that could be considered controversial while he sat in church, but he never says what they were. Was he there for the America deliberately spread AIDS among blacks, God damn America, 9-11 was America's chickens coming home to roost, etc... or were they some other remarks. Did he lie in the HuffPost piece? We don't know exactly. He chose his words in the speech just as carefully as he did prior to it. So things aren't clear, but I would think there would have been a specific denial to those specific remarks, if he was able to do so truthfully. The way he did do it, he left himself an out...if for some reason someone is able to prove he was there for the worst comments.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
From what I understand, and I can't prove it because I'm too damn lazy to search for it, Obama at first said he hadn't heard the questionable comments, and then said he he did but objected to them. I don't know what the truth is.

He said he hadn't heard the Youtube sermons in question, and that he actually didn't find out about them until he started running for president. He tried to avoid talking about the rest as much as he could and limit the damage but that didn't work so he had to acknowledge he's heard Wright say controversial things.

What he did not say is "yeah, ok actually I was at that 9-11 sermon."