3/25 roster rumbles

Dick Allen

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Over-under on the amount of games needed for KW to swallow his pride and jettison Crede and benchOwens in favor of Fields and Quentin?

50?

great question...unfortunately it might be the all star break

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Over-under on the amount of games needed for KW to swallow his pride and jettison Crede and benchOwens in favor of Fields and Quentin?

50?

40 for Crede, 30 for Owens

Good thing we'll be going through our toughest month with a rusty Crede and worthless Owens.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)

50?

I am going with Over.

Think of 06 when Pods lead off over and over and over even though he was pathetic in the field and with the stick. He couldnt steal, and was basically a backwards K walking up to the plate.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
As long as Ozzie's our manager, Owens will have a spot.

which is just a joke...fathom, i know you hear me on this....WHY THE HELL WAS FIELDS NOT PLAYING THE OF IN ST?!?!?!?

my god...we played him in major league games in LF last year, why not let him learn in exhibition games this year?

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
You're extremely ignorant to think that a team like San Francisco or LA wouldn't give up a C prospect for Crede, especially now.

If they haven't yet, why would they now...do they even have a C prospect that we would want? Don't you think we can get more for Crede if he can showcase himself? And there is no way I would compare Morgan Ensberg to Crede. Ensberg is crap and he never really had that great a glove. Crede, while not great in BA or OBP can still hit homeruns...he won't go 110 games without a HR like Ensberg did. And he'll still pick 'em.

Again, its a crap situation, but it's the situation the Sox are presently in. And Fields in LF SUCKS!

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
Again, its a crap situation, but it's the situation the Sox are presently in. And Fields in LF SUCKS!

Fields got what, 2 weeks in the outfield? For a former Big 12 quarterback, I am confident he has the athletic ability to play the easiest position in all of baseball. If Carlos Lee was able to transform into a suitable defensive player, so could Fields. And we played Pods in LF, so it's not like it can get any worse.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
Unreal. Shame on KW and Ozzie. What a terrible message this sends to our young players (who aren't particularly fond of Ozzie in the first place).

OK, can we stop kidding ourselves about Josh Fields? It's not like he doesn't have any holes in his game and there aren't things he can work on in AAA. There are only spots for 25 guys on the roster, so it doens't make a whole lot of sense keeping Crede and Fields both on the team. Fields is going to be an awesome player, but he needs to improve his defense and he needs to make a heck of a lot more contact than he does now. I'm not saying Crede is a lot better player, but Crede simply can't go back to AAA.

Also, I don't think our young players (who supposedly aren't fond of Ozzie for some reason) care about what happens to Josh Fields. This is an extremely rare situation.

It looks like we're going to have Crede at 3rd base, Owens in CF, and Uribe at 2nd base. So much for hoping our offensive would significantly improve this season. If Anderson doesn't make the team, then I'm really going to question the way Ozzie has handled a particular group of players that have been in our minor league system.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
Fields got what, 2 weeks in the outfield? For a former Big 12 quarterback, I am confident he has the athletic ability to play the easiest position in all of baseball. If Carlos Lee was able to transform into a suitable defensive player, so could Fields. And we played Pods in LF, so it's not like it can get any worse.

exactly...barry bonds and manny ramirez play left field....im pretty sure with a moderate amount of seasoning in ST fields would be just fine....the brewcrew dont seem too worried about LF being to hard to braun to play

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
Bourgeois, Carrasco, and Phillips also cut.

Looks like we have a deadweight back-up catcher again.

That is somewhat of a shame. Though he have a logjam in OF and 2B for better or worse, I kind of like Bourgeois. Like Buehrle, his name is hard to spell, is certain to be mutilated by Soxtalk members, and his name has lots of vowels.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
If they haven't yet, why would they now...do they even have a C prospect that we would want? Don't you think we can get more for Crede if he can showcase himself? And there is no way I would compare Morgan Ensberg to Crede. Ensberg is crap and he never really had that great a glove. Crede, while not great in BA or OBP can still hit homeruns...he won't go 110 games without a HR like Ensberg did. And he'll still pick 'em.

KW f***ed up immensely in his handling of Crede and needs to swallow his pride and bite the bullet and maximize his return for Crede while helping the team. Having Crede showcase himself only hurts the team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

Well, then LF with Josh there for a year and in one year we've got the same problem. Crede gone, Fields at 3B and then what? I'll take Swisher and Crede for 1 year (if that) over Fields and Crede for 1 year. To me, Fields isn't a big enough talent to be out of position...he's not Miggy Cabrera.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
It looks like we're going to have Crede at 3rd base, Owens in CF, and Uribe at 2nd base. So much for hoping our offensive would significantly improve this season. If Anderson doesn't make the team, then I'm really going to question the way Ozzie has handled a particular group of players that have been in our minor league system.

You really thought the offense would improve? By the way, you may want to change the date in your sig to reflect the next failure.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

Yet, we're gonna have a guy who probably makes Pods look like a GG play CF.

I wanted Fields at 3B from the start, but like you said, if the team was so intent on Crede at 3B, why not put Fields in LF?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
exactly...barry bonds and manny ramirez play left field....im pretty sure with a moderate amount of seasoning in ST fields would be just fine....the brewcrew dont seem too worried about LF being to hard to braun to play

Really, you guys are comparing Fields to Manny and Bonds. I don't think so.