3/25 roster rumbles

Dick Allen

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
Really, you guys are comparing Fields to Manny and Bonds. I don't think so.

defensively? sure why not...the current version of those two players BTW...not bonds in his prime

Edited by daa84

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
You really thought the offense would improve? By the way, you may want to change the date in your sig to reflect the next failure.

What I don't get is that we brought in Swisher for our new "strategy" of OBP and making pitchers work. However, now we have a CF, 3b, and 2b who are some of the worst players in baseball in terms of drawing walks. Our 3-4-5-6 hitters should do a great job at making pitchers work, but the rest of the offense will probably even things out by how aggressive they are.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
if BA isn't the centerfielder i am going to be royally pissed. I'm already mad about fields, this would just make things a bit unbearable.

It's gonna be Owens bro. I already see it happening. BA, once again, will be a 4th OF.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
if BA isn't the centerfielder i am going to be royally pissed. I'm already mad about fields, this would just make things a bit unbearable.

Anderson is not a track star, so he cannot be our leadoff guy, so he will be traded or a 4th OF on this team.

My prediction

Against Righties

Owens CF

Cabrera SS

Thome DH

Konkero 1B

Dye RF

Swisher LF

AJ C

Crede 3B

Uribe 2B

Against Lefties

Ozuna 2B

Cabrera SS

Swisher LF

Konerko 1B

Thome DH

Dye RF

Crede 3B

AJ/Hall C

Owens CF

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
Fine, but again, Fields isn't enough of an offensive presence to justify him booting balls in LF. If he was, I'd say fine, but not yet.

hes better htan jerry owens offensively....and the upgrade from owens to fields is significant enough to justify any dropoff that would have existed defensively from fields having a full ST under his belt in left compared to owens....by alot too

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
This is TWICE in this season alone that KW gave his word (Gio not losing, Crede to be traded) and broke it. His word should equal s*** to anyone. Watch out Pauly.

Or maybe KW just loves having veterans in the lineup as he doesn't try to have to rebuild.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
Fine, but again, Fields isn't enough of an offensive presence to justify him booting balls in LF. If he was, I'd say fine, but not yet.

what!? 23 homers and 67 rbi's in half a season isn't an offensive presence!? Sure, he has work to do with K's, walks, OBP, AVG, etc... but those are things he can improve on vs. MLB pitching. It's tough to improve on those things in AAA when you have already mastered that level of play.

I would not be surprised if we have ruined Josh Fields future in the majors. All it takes is one year to completely ruin a players development and mental approach to the game, and this could be that year.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
This is TWICE in this season alone that KW gave his word (Gio not losing, Crede to be traded) and broke it. His word should equal s*** to anyone. Watch out Pauly.

He also gave his word to do the best job he can do as a GM, and by not taking absolute crap in return for Crede, he's doing that.

As for Gio, when Nick Swisher suddenly became available, things changed. IT'S A BUSINESS!

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
What I don't get is that we brought in Swisher for our new "strategy" of OBP and making pitchers work. However, now we have a CF, 3b, and 2b who are some of the worst players in baseball in terms of drawing walks. Our 3-4-5-6 hitters should do a great job at making pitchers work, but the rest of the offense will probably even things out by how aggressive they are.

In other words same team, different year.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
why is rebuilding such a bad word to this ownership?

Last year when the sox had the entire fanbase livid, that was the opportunity to cut some vets and rebuild some. That ship has sailed. We have emptied the minors, to go for it. We have to follow this as far as we can now.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
what!? 23 homers and 67 rbi's in half a season isn't an offensive presence!? Sure, he has work to do with K's, walks, OBP, AVG, etc... but those are things he can improve on vs. MLB pitching. It's tough to improve on those things in AAA when you have already mastered that level of play.

I would not be surprised if we have ruined Josh Fields future in the majors. All it takes is one year to completely ruin a players development and mental approach to the game, and this could be that year.

right. the guy has shown he can really hit against ML pitching so thats what he NEEDS to be doing. He has nothing to learn in the minors except for defense and that he can do at the major league level. i really worry about ruining Josh.

Didn't we already have this blowout once already?

Honestly, the amount of time spent around here on trying to paint Fields as the next Mike Schmidt, and Crede as a never-was-has-been and vice versa is quite astonishing to me.

We knew this move was coming a week ago.

We also know Owens will be the starting CF.

We also know Uribe will be the starting 2b.

How about we talk about how this team will lineup against other teams in the month of April, and how Fields, Anderson, and Ramirez might somehow augment the team and help us compete as the season goes on?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)

Sitting in AAA wont ruin Josh. I dont think it will do anything for him to adjust to major league pitching. I think we will retard his growth for a few months as he has to readjust to pitchers not named Felix Diaz.

What a miserable organization -- absolutely f***ing pathetic.

And seriously -- someone's arguing about Fields' defense in LF? Even if he's terrible out there, who gives a damn? He'd have to be a statue -- a complete statue, not moving for any ball hit to him -- to make up for the difference between his and Owens' bat.

(I don't advocate Fields in LF, BTW -- he should be at third-base. Starting in Chicago. Every GM in baseball called your bluff w/r/t Crede, Kenny, time to cut your losses.)

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
What a miserable organization -- absolutely f***ing pathetic.

And seriously -- someone's arguing about Fields' defense in LF? Even if he's terrible out there, who gives a damn? He'd have to be a statue -- a complete statue, not moving for any ball hit to him -- to make up for the difference between his and Owens' bat.

Wouldn't it have been so much nicer to have an outfield of Quentin, Anderson, and Fields, while saving the money on Dye's contract and not having to trade 3 prospects for Swisher (I like Swisher).