3/25 roster rumbles

Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Funny how a guy who had 140 ABs less than Juan Uribe last year, but hit 3 more homers, hit .010 higher, that's 1 more hit than Juan Uribe per 100 ABs, and had an OBP .025 higher than Uribe, that's 1 more time on base every 40 ABs and struck out 13 times more is a sure-fire star to a lot of people here.

Apples and oranges again with you huh? We all know you dont like Josh, just put it in your sig.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
Well Dick, give Fields those extra 140AB's, he hits over 30HR's.

Uribe's in what his 5th - 6th season, this was Fields' 1st. There's quite a difference b/w the 2 (it also shows how terrible, Juan Uribe's OBP is).

I know Josh did it over a longer period of time than some (but not all) of these guys but names that come to mind include...

Ron Kittle

Rob Deer

Billy Joe Robideaux

Pete Incaviglia

Steve Balboni

Matt Stairs

Russell Branyan

Chris Shelton

Go ahead and beat me up now, but first year numbers do not necessarily guarantee a hall of fame or even sometime all-star career. I think Josh was ripe to have his numbers dip considerably this year. He has been around the league a bit and his weaknesses were exposed. That does not mean he will not work to adjust and overcome them, but no one should have been counting on 30+ HR from him this year just by projecting last years totals over a full season.

I think Josh will be a good major leaguer but also believe the Sox have no choice right now with Crede. You do not want to trade him for peanuts. If that is the case, I would rather get the draft picks. If the Sox disappoint this year, they are going to need as many prospects as possible to rebuild over the coming years.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
That's a lot of math to swallow which is an exact science. Too many variables to really buy into that reasoning. Fields does have a lot of potential though.

IIRC, Fields got very hot in late August - September, so if you gave him those extra AB's, in the hot streak he was in, I'd say it'd be likely he would get to 30HR's, JMHO though.

And for a rookie hitter, that's quite amazing (especially since he didn't even play the whole season).

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
If that is the case, I would rather get the draft picks. If the Sox disappoint this year, they are going to need as many prospects as possible to rebuild over the coming years.

You'd think so, but KW has shown over his time as GM, he'd rather trade those prospects for guys who can instantly at the major league level (with the acquisition of Swisher for instance).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
Just a few points;

1 - Crede's defense is a big upgrade on Fields' (if Joe can get back to where he was defensively pre surgery). He had a RZR over .900 last season, and Fields was much lower (check the defensive ratings thread). That will definitely help our pitching staff.

2 - There was a piece from Phil Rogers' I think saying that Fields has enough trouble catching up to 88MPH fastballs let alone 92-93 MPH ones. So if he can work on that down in Charlotte, that will help.

3 - Obviously the Sox haven't handled the situation well (again). If I had it my way, Uribe would be gone to Baltimore, Crede would have been shipped off and we use the 9.5M we save towards re-stocking the system and the draft. But because we want to "win now" they're going with the veteran guys, whether we like it or not (and whether or not it makes the most sense in the long - term).

4 - If Josh is going to K so much, he needs to start drawing more BB's at the plate. That's something he can work on while getting regular AB's.

By no means is Fields a finished product. He's got so many things he still needs to work on still (and hopefully, he can improve some of these things a little before he's back up with us).

He deserves better though, I won't deny that.

Honestly, have you talked to McPhail? Does he want Uribe? Did he even off anything? Same with Crede. The Sox want something in particular for Crede and the Giants weren't willing to give it or don't have it. So...how exactly did they botch this situation? If I were the Giants or Dodgers, I want to see Crede do it when it counts. Or see what my own prospects can do first. Same with Uribe. Neither is a game changer, but they can be an upgrade.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:48 PM)
IIRC, Fields got very hot in late August - September, so if you gave him those extra AB's, in the hot streak he was in, I'd say it'd be likely he would get to 30HR's, JMHO though.

And for a rookie hitter, that's quite amazing (especially since he didn't even play the whole season).

I will say again that Josh Fields is an exciting talent. Maybe as has been stated here by others Fields should have been allowed to learn the OF. I think maybe even 1B. Of course we don't know where we will be with Crede at all-star break time.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
Apples and oranges again with you huh? We all know you dont like Josh, just put it in your sig.

My condolences you'll have to travel to Charlotte to watch Josh strikeout and hit an occassional homer. He should be back by July though.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
You'd think so, but KW has shown over his time as GM, he'd rather trade those prospects for guys who can instantly at the major league level (with the acquisition of Swisher for instance).

So if that is the case, at least the extra picks would give him more ammunition to deal two years down the line.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
Trading Fields at this time would be the dumbest move KW has ever made.

I woud not advocate a trade necessarily. If we are fortunate enough to get Crede signed I would like to see Fields at LF or 1B for the future.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
I woud not advocate a trade necessarily. If we are fortunate enough to get Crede signed I would like to see Fields at LF or 1B for the future.

If the Sox are "fortunate" enough to get Crede signed, I'll probably start s***ting bricks of gold.

And neither would be fortunate.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
I remember the rumored trade with Dye to Boston last year for Wily Mo and a pitcher, and I hated that idea. But now since then, I so wish that trade would have happened.

Right, so sometimes I wish people on this board would see that we have opportunities to trade our crap for spare parts, which may not be a horrible idea at times.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
If the Sox are "fortunate" enough to get Crede signed, I'll probably start s***ting bricks of gold.

And neither would be fortunate.

I don't think the Sox have any intention of signing Crede. I think the time that KW claimed he "reached out" to Boras about an extension was probably when the Sox thought they were going to get Cabrera. I think Fields would have been a part of that trade, and you don't want Cabrera playing 3rd. A couple of weeks of watching him there, and Fields glove gets talked about like Brooks Robinson.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
For fathom, power hitting is even lower than the need for 3b defense. If you don't think this is important for the White Sox, there's something terribly wrong with you. Again, if the Sox had strikeout pitchers, then you could make a case for defense not being as important, but we have a bunch of groundball/flyball pitchers who don't strike anyone out. Even Jenks has said, he rather get a hitter to ground out (which is why he chooses not to throw 100, but more in 94-96mph range) than a strikeout. It's the team's philosophy along with stupid speedy leadoff hitters.

Josh is being developed as a 3B because he eventually will replace Crede at that position, next year being the latest. If we do somehow keep Crede beyond, Fields has way more value as a 3B than a LF.

Never have I said power is the reason I want Fields at 3rd base. Basically, it all has to deal with how much the rest of the team sucks vs LHP, and the fact that Fields and Swisher are the future of this offensive club, and it's ridiculous that he's not on the big league club.

god i'm just really pissed and i'm gonna vent. no need to respond as everything i'm going to say has been said.

Owens

Crede

Uribe

All three will be replaced midyear - so why the f*** don't we START with the players that will be replacing them?

BA's a much better hitter AND a better defensive player than Owens... if only he could steal 20 bases. After all, what's more important than stolen bases?

The Crede decision is just the most unintelligent move KW has ever made in my opinion. Take a kid who could give you 30 homers (or have a down year - fine) and throw him back to the minors just so you can play your 9 million dollar 3B who will hit .200. Great. And you know what? even if Fields did have a down year in the majors, he'd get it out of the way and be ready to give you his best in 09 - as it stands 09 will be his readjustment year thus delaying his productivity until he's 27 years old - no longer a young talent. f*** you KW.

Uribe over Alexei? you're joking. a guy with a .290 obp and .230 avg over a guy who could be a helluva spark plug while giving you guaranteed better numbers.

With the crappy rotation we've got we need the BEST offense possible. Too bad Ozzie's more concerned about speed and defense - two things that will not be an important aspect of our team with the way it's designed. We're trying to fit two puzzle pieces together that just wont fit.

I'm a tad miffed.

It looks like we're going to have Crede at 3rd base, Owens in CF, and Uribe at 2nd base. So much for hoping our offensive would significantly improve this season. If Anderson doesn't make the team, then I'm really going to question the way Ozzie has handled a particular group of players that have been in our minor league system.

think of the defense...crede, cabrera, uribe, konerko...that's gold glove caliber at every infield position.

Edited by DonnyDevito

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 06:21 PM)
think of the defense...crede, cabrera, uribe, konerko...that's gold glove caliber at every infield position.

Konerko has never been a gold glove caliber 1Bman, and I really doubt Crede is much better than average.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)

Ha, Konerko as GG is comical. He's good for his physical limitations, but he's still nowhere near the level of guys like Carlos Pena, etc.

i'm on page 6 so far but i don't see what the big problem is.

I love Uribe's glove and Crede's too. Joe Crede is a Gold Glove 3B, i don't care what anybody says. he should have already won one Gold Glove but didn't have the name sake to go with it. I think having an infield with elite defenders is exactly what the Palehose need given the caliber of the back end of the starting rotation. Charlotte had a horrible offense last year, i believe but could be mistaken, but atleast this year Chicago's AAA squad will be littered with offensive firepower. That can only bode well for future moves.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
My condolences you'll have to travel to Charlotte to watch Josh strikeout and hit an occassional homer. He should be back by July though.

Yeah, maybe we can both go and compare a up and coming prospect with a veteran who isnt anything like him. It will be fun for everyone!

Konerko has never been a gold glove caliber 1Bman, and I really doubt Crede is much better than average.

Crede should of won a gold glove in '05. If chicago didn't have crede's glove, they don't win a Championship. plus crede always seems to come up with a clutch hit or homerun.

Edited by DonnyDevito

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
Crede should of won a gold glove in '05. If chicago didn't have crede's glove, they don't win a Championship. plus crede always seems to come up with a clutch hit or homerun.

I would argue that Fields was far and away our best clutch hitter last season.