Canseco "introduced" Rodriguez to Steroid dealer

Gregory Pratt

Canseco doesn't have any proof, but in his new book he says Maggs was a juicer and he injected him (according to the review out) and he says Clemens was largely suspected but he implies that George W. Bush protected Clemens and he makes suggestions about Rodriguez, including the claim that he tried to have sex with Canseco's wife.

Yowza.

I know, I know -- Canseco's a rat. And to tell you the truth, this seems to be an incredibly weak book. But do I believe that Rodriguez was introduced? Absolutely, and Rodriguez' non-answer certainly leads to doubt in my mind, but I've always hated hearing about Rodriguez as the great clean hope. Rodriguez is a stretch of the imagination, and Skip Bayless was talking about it, too. He got bigger and he's the fastest to five hundred homeruns -- why? 'Cause God made him greater than every slugger before him? Okay.

What does everyone think about this little scandal?

Same with Magglio?

Wanting another payday might be a reason to hold something for another book.

I'm largely playing Devil's Advocate here, because Canseco doesn't have much, but the lack of denial and my own senses tell me that Rodriguez isn't quite what he's made out to be. And while Canseco didnt' out Rodriguez before, he certainly made numerous cracks about how he isn't the Saint he's made out to be, in his first book.

Canseco's new book will definitely be an interesting read. Can any of you guys really take him as a credible source though? Just because he juiced doesn't mean he knows of every juicer in the past 10-15 years. Sounds like some crap to me that A-Rod was on the roids. Next he's gonna tell us that Ichiro and Jeter on on the juice - complete crap.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
Personally, I think if A-Rod had actually done what Canseco says, it would have been in his first book. Canseco just wants another payday.

He has his reasons for not naming him.

from the deadspin...

If hating him and potentially muddying what the book says is a legit reason, that's his reason.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
Canseco's new book will definitely be an interesting read. Can any of you guys really take him as a credible source though? Just because he juiced doesn't mean he knows of every juicer in the past 10-15 years. Sounds like some crap to me that A-Rod was on the roids. Next he's gonna tell us that Ichiro and Jeter on on the juice - complete crap.

Yeah; what does Canseco have to lose? He had a pretty damn good accuracy rate in the first book, and I tend to doubt he's just throwing s*** at a dartboard.

He admittedly won't know everyone that's juiced, but he was as big a reason the craze started as any. Who else was doing steroids way back in the late 80s other than Canseco and possibly McGwire?

Click on "As it Happened"

Tom House admitted some people used steroids, and that it didn't work so hot. The next person up is Jose Canseco, and his name is mentioned 4 more times throughout the entire list. He had a pretty damn good idea of what was going on throughout the leauge regarding steroids.

To say he knew everything would probably be wrong, but not necessarily wrong. To say he knew almost everything that was going on would be pretty accurate.

I really hope Canseco is wrong. Im not a huge or even big fan of A-Rod .. but I hate Barry Bonds .. and when I hear the A-rod will break the homerun record and whatnot I am content with him doing it. Hes one hell of a player.

I just watched a clip of an interview of Canseco on ESPNews, and he said that when he watched Clemens before Congress, he thought that Clemens looked honest and sincere.

Was he watching the same press conference I was watching?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
I just watched a clip of an interview of Canseco on ESPNews, and he said that when he watched Clemens before Congress, he thought that Clemens looked honest and sincere.

Was he watching the same press conference I was watching?

In Peter Gammons column a month or so ago, he reported the first draft of Canseco's book had a little piece about Clemens at the now infamous party they claim he didn't attend. That got taken out of the book. I wonder how big of a check the Rocket had to write for that. I still wonder why he wouldn't have had something on ARod in his first book. He's the biggest name in the game. Maybe he was still trying to get something from him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
In Peter Gammons column a month or so ago, he reported the first draft of Canseco's book had a little piece about Clemens at the now infamous party they claim he didn't attend. That got taken out of the book. I wonder how big of a check the Rocket had to write for that. I still wonder why he wouldn't have had something on ARod in his first book. He's the biggest name in the game. Maybe he was still trying to get something from him.

I think a reasonable idea about why none of these folks appeared in the first book is that the first book was him actually telling the stories he knew and the next few books are him trying to cash in more based on being proven right on the first one.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
I think a reasonable idea about why none of these folks appeared in the first book is that the first book was him actually telling the stories he knew and the next few books are him trying to cash in more based on being proven right on the first one.

I don't think he's capable of that elaborate of a plan. This guy is a plate head. I bought his first book, but he'll never get another dime from me. He hasn't played MLB since 2001. Its time for him to go away.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
Personally, I think if A-Rod had actually done what Canseco says, it would have been in his first book. Canseco just wants another payday.

Bingo. I'm not going to dismiss the concept of A-Rod on steroids, but Canseco doesn't know about it either way. He put all the dirt he has in his first book because he wasn't smart enough to spread the names out over a few books and get the paydays, and now he's just throwing out big names like Magglio and A-Rod because he played with them, has grudges against them, and hopes people will buy it.

If he really still had names, there would be more than the 3 that are in this book. Not to mention I read his first book as well as the A-Rod part of the new book (on deadspin of course), and his language and confidence in what he says isn't comparable. In book 1, he knew the guys took steroids, in this book he is just confident that A-Rod wanted his first wife. Although I don't even believe that part unless his first wife looks like a man. :ph34r:

Edited by whitesoxfan101