18 y/o dies on Operating Table during breast enlargement

Brian

Why is an 18 year old high school girl getting a breast augmentation?

Link

BOCA RATON, Fla. (March 26) - A South Florida teenager who was captain of her high school cheerleading squad and had plans to become a doctor died after corrective breast surgery, a family attorney said Tuesday.

Photo Gallery

Chris Matula, Palm Beach Post/ZUMA Press

Operation

Gone Wrong

1 of 4

A Florida teenager who was the captain of her high school cheerleading squad died Saturday after having corrective breast surgery. Here, Stephanie Kuleba is seen leading her team in training for Florida's inaugural state cheering competition.

Stephanie Kuleba, 18, died Saturday, about 24 hours after her surgery. Kuleba was rushed to Delray Medical Center about two hours into the procedure to correct asymmetrical breasts and inverted areola, family attorney Roberto Stanziale said.

Kuleba went to her doctor's outpatient office, not a hospital for the procedure, reports CBS News' The Early Show. Both her plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist were board certified.

--At 8:05 a.m. on Friday Kubela went into surgery.

--At 9:15 a.m., the operating room nurse said everything is fine.

--At 9:45 a.m., the doctor said that there is a problem and that paramedics are on their way.

--At around 11:30 a.m., at the Delray Medical Center, the doctor tells Kuleba's family that they believe Stephanie suffered from malignant hyperthermia and is placed in intensive care.

"Malignant hyperthermia is a catastrophic condition that's caused by certain anesthetic agents that trigger a chain reaction within the body which puts into a hyper or increased metabolic state," plastic surgeon Dr. Frederick Lukash told The Early Show.

Lukash said doctors can use Dantrolene - which is "the ultimate and end all treatment" for this malignant hyperthermia - but that it must be started immediately once symptoms occur.

"This was something that was believed to be a routine procedure," said Stanziale, who added that it was too early to determine if any legal action would be taken. "There was never any indication that she was not going to walk out of that surgical suite. It's obviously devastating."

A message left after-hours at the clinic where Kuleba's surgery was performed was not immediately returned and a telephone listing for the Kuleba family was unavailable.

Grieving friends turned Kuleba's parking space at a Boca Raton high school into a makeshift memorial with flowers, candles and a teddy bear. Friends called Kuleba "Sunshine" because of her blonde hair and smile.

"I have chills right now just thinking about it," Ashley Gutknecht, 18, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "It doesn't seem real."

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
It's amazing how many girls are getting cosmetic surgery that are younger than that, or just as old. I'm only 20, and I know 4 girls off hand that have had it done, and 2 of them were high school grad presents.

That is so sad.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:04 PM)
It's amazing how many girls are getting cosmetic surgery that are younger than that, or just as old. I'm only 20, and I know 4 girls off hand that have had it done, and 2 of them were high school grad presents.

That is very sad. I don't have a story like that, but I think most people here (male or female) are like me in that it's amazing how many girls I know that are actually very pretty, but legitimately think they aren't even attractive at all. Perhaps it helps the chances of an average looking fella like myself, but it's still just incredibly sad to see women who are beautiful, yet think they look terrible.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
I wish I knew more of the back stories with the girls but I really don't. Two of the girls I used to be pretty close with, but fell out of touch after high school. The other two were just acquaintances that I bump into from time to time. The two girls I knew pretty well both had boob jobs, and both came from pretty wealthy families. I really don't know what compelled them to do it either, as both were pretty attractive girls, and really didn't seem to have confident issues. It almost seems like they could have done it because they just had the money laying around and thought it sounded like a good idea, which could be really sad.

One of the other ones was a nose job, which I actually did understand more. She was a pretty attractive girl, but the bump in her nose was very noticeable. From what I heard, there was a Seinfeld-esc moment where a guy said "You would be so hot if your nose wasn't so big", or something along those lines. She had the money(again, wealthy family) and I guess it made her feel better, or more confident. There are hundreds of thousands of better ways to spend money then cosmetic surgery, but I suppose if you have it to spend, and it really is going to make you more confident about yourself, I don't see a huge problem with it.

I can see one huge problem with it, see the title of this thread.

This is why anesthesiologists are paid the big bucks. When you're put under, you're essentially in a controlled coma. For all the surgeries/procedures which happen ever day using anesthesia, this is obviously a rarity. I just know I've never been comfortable with it. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled several years ago, I neglected to use local anesthesia and underwent the most painful moment of my life. It was excruciating, even with novocaine. The reason I avoided it was several years earlier, when I had broken my hand playing football and had to have several bones realligned, I was put under and felt terrible for several days afterwards. Headache, vomiting, feeling extremely weak. The head physician believed my body simply didn't respond well to it. Most people don't, which is why I'll always avoid anesthesia if at all possible.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I'm 28 and have been put under with anesthesia over a dozen times, whether surgery or medical tests. I have only had a reaction once when I aspirated, I vomited while under and flooded my lungs. I almost drowned. It wasn't because of the anesthesia, it was because of my condition, my digestive system was slow. They tell you not to eat for 12 hours before surgery, and I didn't, but when they put me under, BAM.

Societies view of beauty is very shallow these days. I know when I was overhearing some individuals on our floor talking about some girls the other day, they described her curves and how orange her skin was. It is pathetically sad that this is how some people find beauty to be today.

To be honest, my girlfriend doesn't do any of this make-up crap and to me still looks beautiful. I've always loved her eyes and smile, that's what made her beautiful to me, she doesn't need make-up or to fix her hair or wear skanky clothing to appeal to me.

I just wish that other gentlemen would see true beauty without having things to do with the body, the altering of skin and the excessive use of make up. No wonder eating disorders are huge in this country---it is actually sickening to see some of these girls at school, some have such skinny arms and are purely orange that it makes me wonder what they looked like without all of the crap on.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Societies view of beauty is very shallow these days. I know when I was overhearing some individuals on our floor talking about some girls the other day, they described her curves and how orange her skin was. It is pathetically sad that this is how some people find beauty to be today.

To be honest, my girlfriend doesn't do any of this make-up crap and to me still looks beautiful. I've always loved her eyes and smile, that's what made her beautiful to me, she doesn't need make-up or to fix her hair or wear skanky clothing to appeal to me.

I just wish that other gentlemen would see true beauty without having things to do with the body, the altering of skin and the excessive use of make up. No wonder eating disorders are huge in this country---it is actually sickening to see some of these girls at school, some have such skinny arms and are purely orange that it makes me wonder what they looked like without all of the crap on.

I applaud you and agree 100% with you.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
This is why anesthesiologists are paid the big bucks. When you're put under, you're essentially in a controlled coma. For all the surgeries/procedures which happen ever day using anesthesia, this is obviously a rarity. I just know I've never been comfortable with it. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled several years ago, I neglected to use local anesthesia and underwent the most painful moment of my life. It was excruciating, even with novocaine. The reason I avoided it was several years earlier, when I had broken my hand playing football and had to have several bones realligned, I was put under and felt terrible for several days afterwards. Headache, vomiting, feeling extremely weak. The head physician believed my body simply didn't respond well to it. Most people don't, which is why I'll always avoid anesthesia if at all possible.

And have the highest malpractice insurance rates.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)

Im with you. I like the natural beauty and honestly, the quality of the girl's heart really affect me as well. Ive dated plenty of attractive females that were just awful on the inside, and have never been as satisfied as I have finding a girl that I believe to be a knockout, but also is one of those people that everyone loves and truly has a great heart.

And on the boob job front, in FLA boob jobs are VERY common.

I'm glad to see some of the gentlemen here agree with me on natural beauty. I personally find fake tanning to be disgusting and as I said, my girlfriend looks beautiful without any makeup. Hell to me, she looks beautiful if she's sick at home in her pajamas and we're just watching TV. It really doesn't matter---I have always agreed that it is what is on the inside that makes the girl beautiful.

Speaking of which, I was walking to class today and I could pick out at least three girls who had boob jobs, it was kind of sad because they all looked as if they were 18 years old---I don't know, there's something that doesn't make surgery right for that age, or well, I don't know, why do you need to get implants, honestly?

QUOTE(The Beast @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
I'm glad to see some of the gentlemen here agree with me on natural beauty. I personally find fake tanning to be disgusting and as I said, my girlfriend looks beautiful without any makeup. Hell to me, she looks beautiful if she's sick at home in her pajamas and we're just watching TV. It really doesn't matter---I have always agreed that it is what is on the inside that makes the girl beautiful.

Speaking of which, I was walking to class today and I could pick out at least three girls who had boob jobs, it was kind of sad because they all looked as if they were 18 years old---I don't know, there's something that doesn't make surgery right for that age, or well, I don't know, why do you need to get implants, honestly?

I dated a girl that literally had to put on makeup to take the dog for a walk, there was makeup all over my condo. My gf now can roll out of bed and look amazing to me. IMO, the hottest girls are ones that look just as good out for dinner than in a jersey tailgating for the game.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)
I dated a girl that literally had to put on makeup to take the dog for a walk, there was makeup all over my condo. My gf now can roll out of bed and look amazing to me. IMO, the hottest girls are ones that look just as good out for dinner than in a jersey tailgating for the game.

Of course, now we all need photographic proof of her rolling out of bed now. Hi-res pics please.

;)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Im with you. I like the natural beauty and honestly, the quality of the girl's heart really affect me as well. Ive dated plenty of attractive females that were just awful on the inside, and have never been as satisfied as I have finding a girl that I believe to be a knockout, but also is one of those people that everyone loves and truly has a great heart.

Indeed, I think it's unquestionable fact that a girl can become more attractive if you find her to be a great person as you get to know her better.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
Indeed, I think it's unquestionable fact that a girl can become more attractive if you find her to be a great person as you get to know her better.

I agree with you. Also, sometimes I think the mindset of some guys is really shallow. "Oh, she's got a great body, or she's totally hot, (usually after saying I'd bang her) let's go after her because she's hot." Well, that may be all "college-esque" of the guy, but why not go ahead and go on a date with a girl and get to know her somewhere outside of just with friends. Sometimes I think people who go out with friends and their date more than they actually date might actually hurt their chances of getting to know a person. Around here, I see the most pathetic of relationships, some abusive and some just flat out physically sexual. Honestly, what is the point of that?

I've been dating my girlfriend for almost 3 years and I certainly have gotten to know her instead of just thinking, "Oh, she's hot, lets bang her and move on." Even at college I think things have gotten better and she and I have gotten more close than ever before. It just saddens me that a majority of the people here (at least on my floor or on campus) are just about physical relationships.

The other day I was talking to my friend in the elevator and I was like, "Yeah, she's in France right now, but that's okay, I'm doing pretty good regardless." A guy in the elevator randomly says, "I thought the rule was if she or you were out of the area code, you guys could do whatever you want with whomever you want." I guess it all comes from what your values and beliefs are, and how you were raised, but I don't know, maybe I'm just at a different point in my life than other individuals, and to be honest, I'm really happy that I am, since I find that lifestyle to be quite pathetic.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)

And vice versa. I know plenty of girls that I was initially attracted to, got to know 'em a bit more and all of the sudden they didn't look very good at more.

Edited by Rowand44