Is there a chance Crede's actually re-signed after the '08 cam

DaTank

Seems to me that this organization loves Crede way too much. Obviously, he has minimal trading value, so why not just cut him? Sure, his defense is superior to Fields, but IMO, Fields is going to be amazing. I can see them re-signing him for a 'just because' reason, seeing as they won't release him and his $5 million salary for some odd reason. Thoughts?

Edited by jenks45monster

I hope not.

And they won't release him because when they do, they have to pay the $5 million in full. That'd be stupid, it'd be more beneficial to have him sit on the bench and make it (although this is something else that won't happen due to the management's love of Crede).

Edited by Felix

My problem with Crede is his hitting. I love his defense I believe he helps keep pitchers ERA down with the plays he makes at 3rd. But the problem is I really dont trust him at the plate. I think his swing is naturally long and loopy. His 2006 performance was on par with the rest of the team, aberrationally above normal. Joe is still a career .259 hitter with a career .305 OBP. And if you take away his 2006 Crede has a career BA of .251, not stellar. I would be really surprise if you see anything close to .290/30/90 like he did in 2006, I truly believe hes a .255 hitter with the potential for Juan Uribe like power numbers, 20 HR and 70 RBI. Not great but livable, and thats the point. His defense is great and his offense is mostly livable. Ill take my chances with Fields for the long term.

It is amazing how we see two different people. Joe is getting his timing back after being out almost a full season. There are others performing in ST at as low an average as Joe. There is absolutely no reason to criticize or minimize Joe Crede. I hope we do sign him and move Fields to IB or LF

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
It is amazing how we see two different people. Joe is getting his timing back after being out almost a full season. There are others performing in ST at as low an average as Joe. There is absolutely no reason to criticize or minimize Joe Crede. I hope we do sign him and move Fields to IB or LF

Gross idea. we wont, thank god.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)

Moving Fields to 1B would destroy all of his value. At third, he's special because he has a lot of power potential. At 1B, he's an average power player, which is his best attribute by far.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Moving Fields to 1B would destroy all of his value. At third, he's special because he has a lot of power potential. At 1B, he's an average power player, which is his best attribute by far.

Ugh, Crede is just not good. How many teams in the MLB would want him over their starter right now?

Hey, if Crede produces like he did in 4 months of 2005 and all of 2006, and we can re-sign him, do it.

Then you can trade Fields for say Tim Linecum.

That's the only scenario where I can see it feasible though, and Crede would have to fire Bora$$.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)

I might be the only one else on this board that agrees with you.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
I might be the only one else on this board that agrees with you.

Though I don't minimize Crede, there's next to zero chance he will be with the Sox for the full year. Even if we are contending and he's having a decent year there's no reason to keep him when he's going to be a free agent with Fields waiting in the wings. I often wonder weather Fields will ever be better than average at 3rd base and have also speculated that 1b may be in his future. But for probably half of this season if not more Fields will be the 3rd baseman and Crede will be gone.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Hey, if Crede produces like he did in 4 months of 2005 and all of 2006, and we can re-sign him, do it.

Then you can trade Fields for say Tim Linecum.

That's the only scenario where I can see it feasible though, and Crede would have to fire Bora$$.

Well, the only scenario where ANY team trades a great young arm for Fields is on XBOX.

But the problem is I really dont trust him at the plate. I think his swing is naturally long and loopy.

Based on last year's performances who on this team do you "trust" at the plate??

Dye? Paulie? Uribe? I don't mind criticism of Crede and others, but when you say you don't trust him, who do you trust? Maggs and hit .350 batting average isn't on our team

anymore. Our guys were all untrustworthy last year I'd say, after being very trustworthy the year the Sox won it all.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
Well, the only scenario where ANY team trades a great young arm for Fields is on XBOX.

Well consider it from the Giants P.O.V.

They almost traded Rios for Linecum in the off-season. And sure Rios is more of a sure thing, but Fields would be a cornerstone in that lineup for at least the next 5 seasons.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
I hope we do resign him just so he could piss off 99% of the board and then watch everyone talk about how we ruined another sure HOF career. LMAO

I don't see anyone claiming Josh Fields is going to have a HOF career. People are merely upset that the organization has decided to go with the 29-year old with the undependable back and history of average/below average offense as opposed to the guy that his 23 HR last year in limited time, while also posting a pretty good OPS.

Really, I don't blame them. I mean, I like Crede and all, and the second half and postseason of '05 was something special, as was 2006, but he's got a s***ty back and is coming off of a really rough year. If he starts off the season like he did last year, the move to Josh Fields starting at 3B should be obvious, and should happen quickly.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
Well consider it from the Giants P.O.V.

They almost traded Rios for Linecum in the off-season. And sure Rios is more of a sure thing, but Fields would be a cornerstone in that lineup for at least the next 5 seasons.

They didnt almost do anything, and Rios right now is alot better of a player than Josh Fields, and only a year older.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
I hope we do resign him just so he could piss off 99% of the board and then watch everyone talk about how we ruined another sure HOF career. LMAO

So you want us to re-sign an overrated 3rd basemen who outside of one fluke year can't hit, and who has a bad back, just to see the boards get mad? I have a name for people as unwise as you: Cub fans. I think your rooting for the wrong team if this post is serious.

As for the answer to the question in this thread: No, hell no in fact. Boras is bad enough, but we have enough problems as is, no need to keep an expensive 3rd basemen with a prospect who very well may be better than him in the wings at his spot. Not to mention a prospect who has proven he can hit MLB pitching.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
So you want us to re-sign an overrated 3rd basemen who outside of one fluke year can't hit, and who has a bad back, just to see the boards get mad? I have a name for people as unwise as you: Cub fans. I think your rooting for the wrong team if this post is serious.

As for the answer to the question in this thread: No, hell no in fact. Boras is bad enough, but we have enough problems as is, no need to keep an expensive 3rd basemen with a prospect who very well may be better than him in the wings at his spot. Not to mention a prospect who has proven he can hit MLB pitching.

Yes because it would be so entertaining. How come a resigned Crede automatically means I should root for the Cubs?

And Crede suffered an injury, to speak on his back as if it was in terrible condition his whole career is stupid and I'm getting sick of it. Yeah, he had a great offensive year in 2006 which if no one remembers correctly is when he played with the bad back all year long and he couldn't take it anymore last year which is why he got it fixed. Up until then, he was improving offensively.

I'm not saying Crede needs to be on this team, but it seems like it's life and death with you guys if Fields isn't the starting 3B within the first month of the season. That's what I find funny.