Is there a chance Crede's actually re-signed after the '08 cam

DaTank

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
Based on last year's performances who on this team do you "trust" at the plate??

Dye? Paulie? Uribe? I don't mind criticism of Crede and others, but when you say you don't trust him, who do you trust? Maggs and hit .350 batting average isn't on our team

anymore. Our guys were all untrustworthy last year I'd say, after being very trustworthy the year the Sox won it all.

How's that Sesame Street song go?

One of these things is not like the other...one of these things just doesn't belong.

Crede stated the other day that the Sox have yet to even make an offer. There is a part of me that thinks that Crede would sign for a fair price if it was offered and Boras can't stop him. It is up to Crede to decide what to do.

I think they let Fields tear it up in AAA and move him for an top level prospect.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
Crede stated the other day that the Sox have yet to even make an offer. There is a part of me that thinks that Crede would sign for a fair price if it was offered and Boras can't stop him. It is up to Crede to decide what to do.

I think they let Fields tear it up in AAA and move him for an top level prospect.

I'm pretty sure that the reason the Sox haven't even made an offer yet is that about a year ago they went to Mr. Boras and tried to see if he'd even consider listening to an offer and were rebuffed.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
I'm pretty sure that the reason the Sox haven't even made an offer yet is that about a year ago they went to Mr. Boras and tried to see if he'd even consider listening to an offer and were rebuffed.

That's the way I understand it. It's hard to make an offer when they won't even listen.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
I hope we do resign him just so he could piss off 99% of the board and then watch everyone talk about how we ruined another sure HOF career. LMAO

I kind of think that would be funny too. But that's just my style.

Ugh, Crede is just not good. How many teams in the MLB would want him over their starter right now?

I just entered this thread for the first time, and I just remembered why I always stay out of Crede threads; having to read rubbish like this.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
I just entered this thread for the first time, and I just remembered why I always stay out of Crede threads; having to read rubbish like this.

Darn, it stinks we've all been robbed of such insight.

Edited by RockRaines

Darn, it stinks we've all been robbed of such insight.

You can say what you want about his batting average and his DL/surger stint, but the idea (especially talking about his D) that Crede "is just not good" is a load of crap.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 03:12 AM)
How's that Sesame Street song go?

One of these things is not like the other...one of these things just doesn't belong.

Sounds a bit like the Foofighters ,The Pretender. What if I say I'm not like the others?

What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays?

I knpw it's a bit of a stretch but I'm trying to get to 1000 posts :P

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 01:46 AM)
You can say what you want about his batting average and his DL/surger stint, but the idea (especially talking about his D) that Crede "is just not good" is a load of crap.

No, not really. Hes an above avg defender, below average offensive 3B. Being a good player is usually being above avg and better at your position, Crede just isnt that, sorry.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
No, not really. Hes an above avg defender, below average offensive 3B. Being a good player is usually being above avg and better at your position, Crede just isnt that, sorry.

That makes Crede a league average 3B. His defense makes up for his offense. He is bascially a better version of Brandon Inge. However, we will have to see how he looks for an extended period post-surgery. There are definitely teams out there that could use him, but they probably feel like they need to see more of him before making a move.

I just totally disagree, sorry. We've seen Joe play GG caliber third base much through his career, and especially 05-06. I'd call that more than just "above average." Comparing a current Josh Fields to a healthy Joe Crede defensively is no comparison from what I've seen. And since the return of his DL stint in '05, the time he has been healthy he has been hitting very well.

Are people just forgetting about how valuable a healthy Crede is to our organization? I'm all for trading him right now for obvious reasons, but a lot of people seem to want to discredit him because of it and downplay his ability. It's so bizarre it amuses me.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)

Crede said KW never made an offer to HIM personally.

KW came back and said he doesn't make offers to players he makes offers to agents. He called Boras with the intention of negotiating a long term deal but Boras turned him down on the spot.

It's actually stated in the CBA that a GM can not go around an agent and negotiate a contract with a player.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
Crede said KW never made an offer to HIM personally.

KW came back and said he doesn't make offers to players he's makes offers to agents. He called Boras with the intention of negotiating a long term deal but Boras turned him down on the spot.

It's actually stated in the CBA that a GM can not go around an agent and negotiate a contract with a player.

Correct, if KW went around Boras, he'd be reprimanded.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
We've seen Joe play GG caliber third base much through his career, and especially 05-06. I'd call that more than just "above average." Comparing a current Josh Fields to a healthy Joe Crede defensively is no comparison from what I've seen. And since the return of his DL stint in '05, the time he has been healthy he has been hitting very well.

How exactly are you determining "GG caliber" defense? Joe Crede has never lead the league in any major defensive category. Brandon Inge has usually been at the top of the AL in important categories like range factor. Crede is usually 4th or 5th. Check baseball-reference.com and compare defensive stats if you don't believe me.

So, it it doesn't look like your using statistics. Crede has also never actually won a gold glove, so it can't be that. Sounds to me like you're going solely on your opinion, which probably makes Joe Crede feel better but doesn't actually offer any real proof whatsoever.

Also, as I (and many others) have said before, Joe has exactly 1 full above-average offensive major league season. The rest are below average. He also had a terrible spring. What, then, makes you think he'll produce anything but a mediocre/poor offensive season this year?

Also, Crede was not that good defensively when he first came up. He improved. Why can't Fields?

How exactly are you determining "GG caliber" defense? Joe Crede has never lead the league in any major defensive category. Brandon Inge has usually been at the top of the AL in important categories like range factor. Crede is usually 4th or 5th. Check baseball-reference.com and compare defensive stats if you don't believe me.

So, it it doesn't look like your using statistics. Crede has also never actually won a gold glove, so it can't be that. Sounds to me like you're going solely on your opinion, which probably makes Joe Crede feel better but doesn't actually offer any real proof whatsoever.

Also, as I (and many others) have said before, Joe has exactly 1 full above-average offensive major league season. The rest are below average. He also had a terrible spring. What, then, makes you think he'll produce anything but a mediocre/poor offensive season this year?

Also, Crede was not that good defensively when he first came up. He improved. Why can't Fields?

Maybe by general consensus? I've watched almost every Sox game since mid 2004, and Joe has always been impressive, with good range, quick reflexes, and amazing plays all the time. He was KNOWN as a GG caliber fielder. Hawk wasn't being a homer by saying that. That was heard all around baseball. And everybody here credited him for that, too. What has happened? Oh yeah, there's a LOT of contradiction on Soxtalk.

Statistics? So you are one of those guys who bases everything on statistics? Given, they are important, but they don't dictate everything. And as far as what makes me think he'll produce this year based on Spring training... that's just a dumb question. I'm sorry but it really is. If everybody played the same in the regular season as all throughout spring training, we probably wouldn't need so many topics discussing players and managers' jobs would be a lot easier. Plus, remember that Joe could possibly improve, seeing as he is still recovering and has to try getting used to playing again.

Never said he couldn't. I just find it funny that some people seem to compare Fields currently to Crede at his best, which is a colossal joke to me.

I always thought the consensus was that Joe Crede was a silver-glove caliber defensive player; very good, with pretty soft hands and good range, but that Brandon Inge and even Nick Punto were better than him. Both are worse offensively - definitely in Punto's case and probably in Inge's case - but that was never the argument.

Add to it that his defense is questionable right now and his bat is nowhere near the level it was from September 2005 through August 2006, and it's just all-in-all questionable that he's starting at 3B.