Canseco injected Maggs

DaTank

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
Here's an excerpt from Mariotti's article today in the Sun-Times. It's an excerpt of Canseco's new book too.

Do you think Canseco is lying here?

I don't have time to look through the archives, but I'll bet some money that when the Sox signed Cancseco, Munsterboy didn't make one mention of him being a steroid freak.

And if he were a steroid freak, in Eddie Munster' world, it's because Reinsdorf made him one.

Bob

QUOTE(southsidehawkeye @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
I believe that he was telling the truth on everything that he said in his first book, I think history has proven him to be giving his honest word. However, when he says things like "It isn't the right time" when asked to provide proof on his A-Rod statements, he begins to look like someone who is simply trying to stay in the spotlight and make more $$ to me. Maggs was very shady with how he handled his injury, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he took PEDs, but I havent really decided if Conseco's new book is trustworthy or not.

On a side note, if you had info on A-Rod and were writing a tell-all book on PEDs in the MLB, wouldnt you include the info in your first book? It just sounds really fishy to me.

Back to Mags. Why didn't he press charges and sue Canseco when he was extorted by him?

Something doesn't add up. This whole moving on thing is odd. If I were Magglio and had nothing to hide, I'd press charges against Canseco and just for fun I'd take him to court and sue him for slander.

I'm no big city lawyer, but I'm pretty sure a good one wouldn't recommend his client go around spreading lies about someone, in writing, no less unless there was some truth to it. Can't you be sued (with a good chance of losing a lawsuit) for knowingly spread lies about an individual?

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)
Back to Mags. Why didn't he press charges and sue Canseco when he was extorted by him?

Something doesn't add up. This whole moving on thing is odd. If I were Magglio and had nothing to hide, I'd press charges against Canseco and just for fun I'd take him to court and sue him for slander.

I'm no big city lawyer, but I'm pretty sure a good one wouldn't recommend his client go around spreading lies about someone, in writing, no less unless there was some truth to it. Can't you be sued (with a good chance of losing a lawsuit) for knowingly spread lies about an individual?

Bob

First of all, in print it's Libel.

Secondly, in a he said/he said situation, it's almost impossible for Mags to win. I would actually admire him if he did bring the defamation suit like Clemens/McNamee, because it would show that he believed Jose was lying enough to put his money behind it, but even with that in mind, he'd lose. How can he prove that he was never alone with Jose? MLB wasn't testing so he can't say he never tested positive because it wouldn't prove anything, he can't prove he was never alone with Jose, it's just an impossible case to make.

Third, Heyman spells out the blackmail issues and why those haven't brought charges.

Canseco tried through an intermediary to get Magglio Ordonez to invest $5 million in a film project and suggested he might keep Ordonez "clear'' from the book, an offer that would seem to qualify as borderline blackmail. A person who received a call from Canseco's intermediary told me Canseco covered himself so as not to make it blackmail by not making the call himself and by saying the money was for a film project (which, incidentally, never got made). Canseco passed his alleged lie detector test by answering questions about whether he called Ordonez, which he did not.

Saunooke said by phone, "I'm Jose's representative, and if I didn't call, then no one called. I know for a fact that [Jose] has received no money from no individual, no representative and no entity for keeping anyone out or putting anyone in the book.'' (Saunooke's a great lawyer and he knows there's a difference between asking and receiving.) Ordonez didn't pay, and makes a cameo in Vindicated for allegedly also receiving one of Canseco's special injections.