The Cubs: 99 years of misery

RME JICO

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...ce=MLBHeadlines

The Central champs are a trendy pick to win the pennant in a wide-open National League. In Game 1 of the NLDS at Arizona, ace Carlos Zambrano tosses six innings and just 85 pitches, but manager Lou Piniella opts to save him for Game 4 and makes the controversial move to the bullpen. Carlos Marmol gives up a home run to the first batter he faces, breaking a 1-1 tie. From there, the Diamondbacks cruise to a three-game sweep. On the bright side, Zambrano will be well rested for Opening Day.

Article talks about every year since they won their last World Series. They also include players they passed up on in drafts, etc. Pretty funny stuff.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
ridiculously long article. Goes through every single year since 1908. Im so sick of hearing about the f***ing cubs.

Eh, it's baseball history, and I'm finding it entertaining. I mean, they give this summary of an inning in 1929 in game 4 of the World Series with the Cubs up 8-0:

home run, single, single, single, single, pop out, single, new pitcher, inside-the-park home run, walk, new pitcher, single, single, new pitcher, hit by pitch, double
. There's some beauty in that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 06:34 PM)
ridiculously long article. Goes through every single year since 1908. Im so sick of hearing about the f***ing cubs.

^^^^^^

What Rock said. Geez-us...that was a complete waste of bandwidth. I understand having an article...but how many friggin pages? Sometimes I wish they'd just win it to shut all these scribes up....NAAAAAAH! Nevermind.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
^^^^^^

What Rock said. Geez-us...that was a complete waste of bandwidth. I understand having an article...but how many friggin pages? Sometimes I wish they'd just win it to shut all these scribes up....NAAAAAAH! Nevermind.

They're making the Cubs look more pathetic and having a good laugh at it. I sure as s*** don't want the Cubs to win the World Series because of that.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
How many people have gone to their grave without seeing the CUbs win the world series. I will die a happy man if I can live long and never have to see the Cubs win the big one too.

I'll already die a happy man. I saw the Sox win one. I could give a rat's ass about the Cubs.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
How many people have gone to their grave without seeing the CUbs win the world series. I will die a happy man if I can live long and never have to see the Cubs win the big one too.

I'll die a happy man.

I'm greedy and want to see another White Sox World Series winner before I die.

Well, now that the Red Sox and White Sox have won the World Series...there's no one with more futility other than the Cubs. Soooooo...that's why ESPN is talking about them. They aren't winning the World Series this year. Not with Lilly, Marquis and Dempster in the rotation.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
Well, now that the Red Sox and White Sox have won the World Series...there's no one with more futility other than the Cubs. Soooooo...that's why ESPN is talking about them. They aren't winning the World Series this year. Not with Lilly, Marquis and Dempster in the rotation.

What's wrong with Ted Lilly? I think he's an asshole, but he's a very competent starter.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
There is nothing wrong with him. He just isn't a #2 starter for a contending team. Not when you have guys like Myers, Haren, Pedro/Maine as #2 starters across the league.

Pedro/Mayne ... did you forget a guy named Santana?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
No, I didn't. I was going comparing Lilly to other teams #2 starters in the NL. It can be argued who the true #2 is in New York.

Well, I'm watching the Sox/Mets game as we speak ...DVR ... and they referenced Mayne as the #4 for the Mets. Santana, Pedro, Perez and then Mayne... though they did question Perez over Mayne for the #3 slot. But considering that mayne started this game, I'd say that defines him as the #4 starter. So Santana and Pedro are 1 and 2.