Now that we're done dissin Koch

This is NOT good at all. Koch is strugglin. Make no mistake about it. A's fans warned me before the year started not to be fooled by those 44 saves from a year ago. Koch might be the most OVERRATED CLOSER IN BASEBALL they told me. And we've seen 1st hand the trouble he gets into on a daily basis...All that talk about him being hurt is bulls***. This is who Billy is. Now my thing is who the heck is gonna close gms for us these final 3 months. We can't afford losses like these. They're killer's. I know the Twins won. Not sure what the Royals did. I'm really worried about this guys. I was wondering what u think we could do to right this...I know after today Manuel's got to be thinkin the same thing as me. f*** U YOU f***IN OVERRATED s*** TALKIN BUM BILLY BOTCH :fyou

Guest hotsoxchick1
This is NOT good at all.  Koch is strugglin.  Make no mistake about it.  A's fans warned me before the year started not to be fooled by those 44 saves from a year ago.  Koch might be the most OVERRATED CLOSER IN BASEBALL they told me.  And we've seen 1st hand the trouble he gets into on a daily basis...All that talk about him being hurt is bulls***.  This is who Billy is.  Now my thing is who the heck is gonna close gms for us these final 3 months.  We can't afford losses like these.  They're killer's.  I know the Twins won.  Not sure what the Royals did.  I'm really worried about this guys.  I was wondering what u think we could do to right this...I know after today Manuel's got to be thinkin the same thing as me.  f*** U YOU f***IN OVERRATED s*** TALKIN BUM BILLY BOTCH  :fyou

couldnt have said it any better myself......i cant stand to see him.........why didnt they leave marte in there???? geez us.........who can we dump this over paid, over rated piece of dumbass s*** on????? i have had all i can take of billy botch...........

we lost on the trade with the A's. the only saving grace is that we got cotts. he still might make this trade work. but we need a closer as how many teams out there who are actively pursueing one.

where is all the kw backers now? :bringit

All that talk about him being hurt is bulls***.  This is who Billy is.

Right, so he throws 96-100 MPH for a few years, and then he is traded here where he doesn't even touch 95 anymore. Something doesn't seem right about that.

Just my take on if he is hurt or not. I know he's not that good one way or the other.

Well we got Loaiza goin tomorrow. I don't see the d-rays gettin anymore than 2 runs off him. We better kill that Sosa guy tomorrow. I'm talkin have his ass outta the gm by the 5th inning. I wasn't too happy with the offense today. Alomar had a couple rbi's and Daubach is still swining a hot bat. But for all the walks we got today I feel we shoulda scored more runs. And if I didn't say it before. f*** U BILLY SNOCH.... :angry:

Guest hotsoxchick1
we lost on the trade with the A's. the only saving grace is that we got cotts. he still might make this trade work. but we need a closer as how many teams out there who are actively pursueing one.

saving grace.. if we keep cotts........... ;) :o

Guest hotsoxchick1
Hmm...

Maybe you should get on aim so we can talk Michelle!

i was merely pointing out that very few guys jobs are safe......this is baseball and anything can happen and usually does.......if were gonna save grace here then it would be wise to hold onto cotts... but we already dumped ring....why wouldnt we dump cotts as well if the price were right??????? :huh:

Right, so he throws 96-100 MPH for a few years, and then he is traded here where he doesn't even touch 95 anymore. Something doesn't seem right about that.

Just my take on if he is hurt or not. I know he's not that good one way or the other.

He sucked when he threw 100. Now when he's topping out at 88 the little league teams at Armour Park are licking their chops. Maybe they'll let Billy throw batting practice at the all star game. Frank should definetly use him as his pitcher for the homerun contest. It probably wouldn't be allowed, an unfair advantage,unless they let everyone else cork their bats..........

Guest hotsoxchick1

He sucked when he threw 100. Now when he's topping out at 88 the little league teams at Armour Park are licking their chops. Maybe they'll let Billy throw batting practice at the all star game. Frank should definetly use him as his pitcher for the homerun contest. It probably wouldn't be allowed, an unfair advantage,unless they let everyone else cork their bats..........

or make botch toss for everyone.. but of course he would probably pitch around any rep we have in the hr derby....... :o

I think it was someone on this board who mentioned koch for Weaver deal, that makes so much sense to me, I really think weaver would help the sox starting pitching and move danny to the pen where he can be really affective, and then make Flash or Damaso the closer on this team, I think they'd both be very affective closing out games, one thing for sure neither of them could be worse then koch.

I have trouble understanding why managers are so reluctant to move an ineffective closer to a set up guy. There are several cases every year. One exception was Foulke last year -- he was moved to set up pretty early in the season. In Koch's case he has been ineffective from the first series of the year. How many more times do we go through this s*** before JM realizes that someone else is going to have to assume the closer's role, or else we are a third place team. Anyone can second guess pitching decisions, but when Koch comes into a save situation, JM has to have somebody else ready. Two guys got on base, and the game was still savable. I think Flash needs to be promoted.

I have trouble understanding why managers are so reluctant to move an ineffective closer to a set up guy

I think a great example of what can happen to guy when he gets moved from the closers role to the setup role is Latroy Hawkins, he was a terrible closer and now he's one of the best setup guys in the league, I'm not saying that this will happen to Billy, cause right now it seems like he can't get anyone out, but who knows maybe moving him to a setup role will ease the pressure a little, and help him help this team.

He went from throwing in the high 90's last year to low 90's this year. It's the extra few MPH that is killing him. Who knew that would happen? I certainly don't blame KW for this situation we've found ourselves in.

He went from throwing in the high 90's last year to low 90's this year.  It's the extra few MPH that is killing him.  Who knew that would happen?  I certainly don't blame KW for this situation we've found ourselves in.

Not exactly true, Koch's velocity dropped off in September last yr and eventually cost them a WS. Beane recognized that and unloaded him on KW.

Not exactly true, Koch's velocity dropped off in September last yr and eventually cost them a WS. Beane recognized that and unloaded him on KW.

Lots of pitchers lose velocity late in the year. Especially relievers that pitch as many innings as Koch did in '02. Maybe he's hurt, I don't know -- but like most everyone has already stated, we can't keep him as our closer. At least not for a while.

Lots of pitchers lose velocity late in the year.  Especially relievers that pitch as many innings as Koch did in '02.  Maybe he's hurt, I don't know -- but like most everyone has already stated, we can't keep him as our closer.  At least not for a while.

I'm sure that was exactly KW's thinking, that still doesn't make it right. He also allowed a personality conflict with Foulke to overshadow the whole decision, that's the heart of the matter and is what led him to rationalize away Koch's velocity drop.