Comcast New Road HD

joeynach

Anyone else think comcast's Road HD looks pretty bad. The image dont appear to be of the same quality of other HD or even comcast's home HD broadcasts. I dont exactly know what they did to make road games in HD now, but so far it looks bad. The players and screen images seem to have this rough edging around them and also it doens't look crisp and clear as standard 720P broadcasts. What I think im seeing is some sort of non (16X9) 720p image, retrofitted for an HD broadcast and 16:9 TV, kind of like how old movies are sometimes shown in HD on Mojo or HBO. Maybe its just me but it really just doesnt look like true HD. Anyone else feel the same way or have any insight on this matter.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
I dont have HD here at home. But I'll give you a hypothesis. Often, companies try to pass 480p off as "HD" since it is widescreen. Could be what they are doing.

After seeing the images thats what my hunch was, that it was 480P wide screen because the images aren't as clear and crisp, especially during pan shots that show large areas.

That is definitely not HD. Who knows what is was scaled down to before being scaled back up to HD, but the artifacting is incredibly terrible. I don't think they could've put more edge enhancement on there if they tried.

What century are we living in? I thought it was the 21st.

QUOTE(mumbles3k @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
That is definitely not HD. Who knows what is was scaled down to before being scaled back up to HD, but the artifacting is incredibly terrible. I don't think they could've put more edge enhancement on there if they tried.

What century are we living in? I thought it was the 21st.

Yeah I agree there is really no doubt it is not a True HD image, being 720P or 1080I (I believe broadcast 1080P hasn't happened in the US yet). The image comcast has lacks enough definition to be HD, it looks like 480P with artificial digital enhancements and is then coined the term HD. I dont know why every game in ever MLB stadiums can not always be real HD, we are 1 year away from gov't mandate on HD broadcasts anyway.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
The image comcast has lacks enough definition to be HD, it looks like 480P with artificial digital enhancements and is then coined the term HD.

I don't think they can call this HD. They made a big deal about road games finally being in HD this year, but this is exactly how it looked last year. My hope is that this is a weird exception, and the rest of the season will be true HD.

Edited by mumbles3k

Hawk just said they were having some difficulty with their HD and this isn't the the feed we're going to get all year. This is the enhanced widescreen deal. Good to hear that this isn't going to be the quality all year.

QUOTE(Phil McKrevice @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
Hawk just mentioned that they're broadcasting in 480p today because of technical problems, but they should be in 720p on Wednesday. My guess is the weather is interfering with the backhaul.

I was gong to say something about that earlier. I found it HIGHLY odd they would call it "HD" and not have it be real HD. THey get called on it pretty quickly if that were the case. My guess was that it was technical issues.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
The last two years, the only difference I noticed between Home HD and Road HD was that road games were Dolby 2.0, whereas home was in 5.1. I didn't notice any difference in video quality.

Seriously? On CSN? I would have to argue that I saw an night and day difference.

QUOTE(Scwible @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Seriously? On CSN? I would have to argue that I saw an night and day difference.

I'm not watching in HD today, but I was watching via RCN cable in Chicago, and in '06 and '07 the only difference I noticed was the audio encoding.

QUOTE(Phil McKrevice @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Hawk just mentioned that they're broadcasting in 480p today because of technical problems, but they should be in 720p on Wednesday. My guess is the weather is interfering with the backhaul.

Well that is great to hear cuz this is exactly what we were saying, that it looks like 480P and not the standard 720P HD broadcasts we are all used to seeing.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
I'm not watching in HD today, but I was watching via RCN cable in Chicago, and in '06 and '07 the only difference I noticed was the audio encoding.

Interesting. Just switching from CSN to WGN right now its a very big difference.

Does anybody here have Dish Network?? cause my HD channel didn't even come in so I called DN and they told me that CSN HD wasn't even available on DN. Now after what Hawk said I was wondering if she just meant that the feed wasn't available today. I don't know either way cause I just got HD a couple of weeks ago.

I emailed comcast sports net today about the issue here is their response, basically we were correct.

Thanks for contacting us. Today's White Sox game was produced in HD.

However, transmission problems from Progressive Field in Cleveland posed

technical problems for us and we weren't able to transmit the game back

to Chicago in HD. We were able to deliver the game in enhanced

widescreen. We apologize for this occurrence and we expect to have this

issue resolved for our next road HD telecast on Thursday.

So they transmitted 480P to us today, called EDTV (Enhanced Defintion). I was wondering what EDTV was since I had seen it talked about but never broadcast. And now i see, it blows. Im happy to hear today was just a technical issue and they will be back to normal HD by thursday, 720P i think CSN uses. Off topic but does anyone one know who broadcasts what HD format. I believe Fox, ESPN, and ABC use 720P b/c it renders fast motion more effectively (sports, nascar, etc). And stations like TNT, HBO, History, Discovery, etc use 1080I b/c it represents a greater resolution and more still motion (movies, tv series, etc).

Edited by joeynach