Comcast New Road HD

joeynach

QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
I emailed comcast sports net today about the issue here is their response, basically we were correct.

Thanks for contacting us. Today's White Sox game was produced in HD.

However, transmission problems from Progressive Field in Cleveland posed

technical problems for us and we weren't able to transmit the game back

to Chicago in HD. We were able to deliver the game in enhanced

widescreen. We apologize for this occurrence and we expect to have this

issue resolved for our next road HD telecast on Thursday.

So they transmitted 480P to us today, called EDTV (Enhanced Defintion). I was wondering what EDTV was since I had seen it talked about but never broadcast. And now i see, it blows. Im happy to hear today was just a technical issue and they will be back to normal HD by thursday, 720P i think CSN uses. Off topic but does anyone one know who broadcasts what HD format. I believe Fox, ESPN, and ABC use 720P b/c it renders fast motion more effectively (sports, nascar, etc). And stations like TNT, HBO, History, Discovery, etc use 1080I b/c it represents a greater resolution and more still motion (movies, tv series, etc).

ABC and the rest of the Disney family (i.e. ESPN), as well as FOX, broadcast in 720p, because of the reduced motion blur when it comes to sporting events, as you mentioned.

The rest of the broadcast networks (CBS, NBC, and PBS in most places [not Chicago]), as well as a majority of the cable stations broadcast in 1080i, prefering the higher resolution over any perceived motion blur.

QUOTE(Shamrock4Life @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
I know Dish does not have a deal with WGN to broadcast WGN HD. Maybe its the same with comcast.

Nope. There is the HD channel for 429 that can be in HD for Dish. The Scrubbies game was actually in HD on another Comcast HD channel, and I have seen Blackhawks games in HD on 429. They just did not send it out yesterday.