John Kerry cares about the troops

Texsox

Dear James,

Want a reminder of why we still need more people in Congress who know what war really is, and the obligations we owe those who bore the burden of battle?

Just last week, Vice President Cheney was asked about the burden of the Iraq War on our military. His answer? George Bush bears the greatest burden of the war.

4,000 American troops who gave their lives? The Vice President summed it up: "They volunteered."

When I read the Vice President's comments, I was reminded of what Marine Corps 3-star General Gregory Newbold, the former Operations Director at the Pentagon, said about the war in Iraq:

"The commitment of our forces to this fight was done with a casualness and swagger that are the special province of those who have never had to execute these missions - or bury the results."

This is why our work isn't done changing the face of Congress. Dick Cheney doesn't get it, but he'll be gone in January - the question is, who will be coming here to speak up for the troops?

The rubber's hitting the road right now. I need you to help send more people to Washington who did serve, who did volunteer, and who took from that experience a personal commitment to provide for our nation's soldiers and a deep understanding of the magnitude of issues of war and peace.

Here are some more of those people -- so please do what you can to help them today:

http://www.actblue.com/page/strongermajority2

In the House, there's been no better or clearer voice on national security than Admiral Joe Sestak from Pennsylvania. The johnkerry.com community went to the mat to help send Admiral Sestak to Congress, and he has been as courageous in Congress as he was in the Navy. His record of standing up and being counted has landed him on the very top of the GOP target list, and he can use our help right now. A good fundraising quarter can signal great strength and put him on the offensive in 2008.

In New York, former Navy Commander Eric Massa is running against Randy Kuhl. Last time, Eric came within a whisker of beating Kuhl, losing by only 2 points. With a little extra effort this time, we can push Eric over the top. Eric's a former top aide to the Supreme Allied Commander in Europe. He understands military and foreign policy in his head and in his gut, and he's committed to a new course in Iraq and to making health care universal for all Americans.

In California, former Air Force helicopter pilot Charlie Brown is running to fill another GOP open seat vacated by a Republican one step ahead of scandal. Now he's facing two career politicians who didn't even live in his district. Charlie's son is active-duty Air Force and has served four tours in Iraq; believe me, Charlie doesn't need any lectures about who bears the burden in the military today. And Charlie isn't waiting to get to DC to start helping; he's donating 5% of everything he raises in this campaign to help veterans' service organizations around the country.

And we also have an incredible veteran running to break the Republican roadblock in the Senate. In Tennessee, my friend Bob Tuke is a Marine who served America in uniform, a Democratic soldier who has worked hard for others and, now, a candidate for the United States Senate. He headed up my efforts in Tennessee in 2004, and he's fought for Democrats as head of the TN Democratic Party. He served in Vietnam (yes, he volunteered), and now is answering the call to service once again. In January, I want to see Bob sworn in to the United States Senate.

So please donate what you can to help these great veterans turn our Congress into a force for change:

It is profoundly wrong to think that fighting for your country overseas and fighting for your country's ideals at home are contradictory or even separate duties. They are, in fact, two sides of the very same patriotic coin. So this year, let's send more of these great Democratic patriots to Congress.

Thanks,

John Kerry

You know Tex, if I wrote a list of reasons I got out that'd probably be no lower than 3rd on the list.

Bush doesn't have that flagrantly arrogant attitude of Cheney though, at least it doesn't seem that way to me.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
Dear James,

Want a reminder of why we still need more people in Congress who know what war really is, and the obligations we owe those who bore the burden of battle?

Just last week, Vice President Cheney was asked about the burden of the Iraq War on our military. His answer? George Bush bears the greatest burden of the war.

4,000 American troops who gave their lives? The Vice President summed it up: "They volunteered."

When I read the Vice President's comments, I was reminded of what Marine Corps 3-star General Gregory Newbold, the former Operations Director at the Pentagon, said about the war in Iraq:

"The commitment of our forces to this fight was done with a casualness and swagger that are the special province of those who have never had to execute these missions - or bury the results."

This is why our work isn't done changing the face of Congress. Dick Cheney doesn't get it, but he'll be gone in January - the question is, who will be coming here to speak up for the troops?

The rubber's hitting the road right now. I need you to help send more people to Washington who did serve, who did volunteer, and who took from that experience a personal commitment to provide for our nation's soldiers and a deep understanding of the magnitude of issues of war and peace.

Here are some more of those people -- so please do what you can to help them today:

In the House, there's been no better or clearer voice on national security than Admiral Joe Sestak from Pennsylvania. The johnkerry.com community went to the mat to help send Admiral Sestak to Congress, and he has been as courageous in Congress as he was in the Navy. His record of standing up and being counted has landed him on the very top of the GOP target list, and he can use our help right now. A good fundraising quarter can signal great strength and put him on the offensive in 2008.

In New York, former Navy Commander Eric Massa is running against Randy Kuhl. Last time, Eric came within a whisker of beating Kuhl, losing by only 2 points. With a little extra effort this time, we can push Eric over the top. Eric's a former top aide to the Supreme Allied Commander in Europe. He understands military and foreign policy in his head and in his gut, and he's committed to a new course in Iraq and to making health care universal for all Americans.

In California, former Air Force helicopter pilot Charlie Brown is running to fill another GOP open seat vacated by a Republican one step ahead of scandal. Now he's facing two career politicians who didn't even live in his district. Charlie's son is active-duty Air Force and has served four tours in Iraq; believe me, Charlie doesn't need any lectures about who bears the burden in the military today. And Charlie isn't waiting to get to DC to start helping; he's donating 5% of everything he raises in this campaign to help veterans' service organizations around the country.

And we also have an incredible veteran running to break the Republican roadblock in the Senate. In Tennessee, my friend Bob Tuke is a Marine who served America in uniform, a Democratic soldier who has worked hard for others and, now, a candidate for the United States Senate. He headed up my efforts in Tennessee in 2004, and he's fought for Democrats as head of the TN Democratic Party. He served in Vietnam (yes, he volunteered), and now is answering the call to service once again. In January, I want to see Bob sworn in to the United States Senate.

So please donate what you can to help these great veterans turn our Congress into a force for change:

It is profoundly wrong to think that fighting for your country overseas and fighting for your country's ideals at home are contradictory or even separate duties. They are, in fact, two sides of the very same patriotic coin. So this year, let's send more of these great Democratic patriots to Congress.

Thanks,

John Kerry

I'm sure that John Kerry likes to take things out of context, just like everyone accuses some others around here of doing. But this isn't the thread for that.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
Kerry isn't my favorite person in the world but the gist of what he's saying is real, even if it's slanted towards the point he's trying to make (i.e., vote Democrat)

The arrogance is THE problem with this administration. That much I agree with. However, the soundbyte era is simply nuts when you look at the context of which a lot of this stuff is taken, Reverend Wright included.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
The arrogance is THE problem with this administration. That much I agree with. However, the soundbyte era is simply nuts when you look at the context of which a lot of this stuff is taken, Reverend Wright included.

Agreed... lazy journalism and the endless quest for soundbites is the downfall of honesty in our media

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
The arrogance is THE problem with this administration.

From his time as Governor, I would never have attached arrogant and Bush. Somewhere along the line things went wrong, very wrong, for Bush. It seems he lost control of his own Presidency, perhaps by trying to appease everyone and allowing people too much latitude in performing their duties.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
Dear James,

Thanks,

John Kerry

YOu know, this may seem a little weird (I blame the alcohol and lack of sleep from Vegas), but with the general liberal way of thinking being that life in prison is a worse punishment than the death sentence, why wouldn't the weight of 4000 deaths be a bigger burden for someone than actually dying (to all except the deceased, of course)? Could anyone here sleep knowing that his or her decisions led one way or the other to the deaths of 4000 American soldiers? Or do you all think he is the devil with absolutely zero feelings whatsoever? Just a thought. I'll go back to my prolonged hangover now.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
YOu know, this may seem a little weird (I blame the alcohol and lack of sleep from Vegas), but with the general liberal way of thinking being that life in prison is a worse punishment than the death sentence, why wouldn't the weight of 4000 deaths be a bigger burden for someone than actually dying (to all except the deceased, of course)? Could anyone here sleep knowing that his or her decisions led one way or the other to the deaths of 4000 American soldiers? Or do you all think he is the devil with absolutely zero feelings whatsoever? Just a thought. I'll go back to my prolonged hangover now.

Great point, and I truly believe Bush has been affected and has lost sleep.

I know it seriously bothers Bush because I've read some stories, but I take issue with Cheney's dismissive attitude. It's in line with the way he acts, like not too long ago when a reporter said something about the vast majority of Americans disagreeing with the administration's course, and he said "so"?

Full quote:

Cheney: Well, it obviously brings home, I think for a lot of people, the cost that's involved in the global war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan. It places a special burden, obviously, on the families. We recognize, I think -- it's a reminder of the extent to which we're blessed with families who have sacrificed as they have. The President carries the biggest burden, obviously; he's the one who has to make the decision to commit young Americans. But we are fortunate to have the group of men and women, the all-volunteer force, who voluntarily put on the uniform and go in harm's way for the rest of us. You wish nobody ever lost their life, but unfortunately it's one of those things that go with living in the world we live in. Sometimes you have to commit military force, and when you do, there are casualties.

I don't think Cheney was saying the biggest burden of grief for soldiers' deaths lies with Bush. I think he was saying the burden of responsibility for the war does. I know many see the man as the devil and I'm not too crazy about him either, but I just don't think he was suggesting that the President grieves more than a parent over the loss of their son or daughter. I think it was just him saying the burden of responsibility is the biggest burden.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
Full quote:

Cheney: Well, it obviously brings home, I think for a lot of people, the cost that's involved in the global war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan. It places a special burden, obviously, on the families. We recognize, I think -- it's a reminder of the extent to which we're blessed with families who have sacrificed as they have. The President carries the biggest burden, obviously; he's the one who has to make the decision to commit young Americans. But we are fortunate to have the group of men and women, the all-volunteer force, who voluntarily put on the uniform and go in harm's way for the rest of us. You wish nobody ever lost their life, but unfortunately it's one of those things that go with living in the world we live in. Sometimes you have to commit military force, and when you do, there are casualties.

I don't think Cheney was saying the biggest burden of grief for soldiers' deaths lies with Bush. I think he was saying the burden of responsibility for the war does. I know many see the man as the devil and I'm not too crazy about him either, but I just don't think he was suggesting that the President grieves more than a parent over the loss of their son or daughter. I think it was just him saying the burden of responsibility is the biggest burden.

I was actually going to make a post similar to this one, but this was actually before I read the exact quote you just posted... how Cheney comes across in the interview depends a lot on how the reporter quotes him. You can selectively quote that and make it look like he said something terrible and ungrateful.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
I was actually going to make a post similar to this one, but this was actually before I read the exact quote you just posted... how Cheney comes across in the interview depends a lot on how the reporter quotes him. You can selectively quote that and make it look like he said something terrible and ungrateful.

that was an email though from "John Kerry". Not a reporter.