I'm throwing this out there...

BurlyMan56

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 07:16 PM)
I would also like to see Fields approach Crede's lifetime BA for one season. That would "prove" something to *me*. If you have a lesser or different standard, that's cool. Use what you feel comfortable with. If my standard bothers you, sorry.

They play different games offensively. Is it fair to ask Juan Uribe to match Alex Sanchez's career average?

Besides that, as Rock pointed out, it wouldn't be hard for Fields to hit .260. That would also come with more walks and more power too. Fields' upside is way, way higher than Crede's, and Crede's gone after this year. Why wouldn't you want a player who got better as the year went on and who is still getting better over a player who is coming off a back injury, has almost certainly peaked as a player, and is gone after this year anyways?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Once again proving you havent actually read my posts. Crede's numbers are fairly obvious. He had an outlier season and you think this is what he is capable of every year, its just not statistically the case.

And approaching Joe's numbers?

Crede career

.258 .304 .445

Fields 1/2 season rookie year

.244 .308 .480

You have a rookie who improved month over month and already puts up the same numbers as Joe Crede. Once again, his win shares approached that of Crede's best year.

And IM still waiting for the names of teams that would trade their starting 3B for Crede. 2005 was a great year and all, but get off this guys jock. Would you all be clamoring for Pedro Feliz to stay on this team, because thats basically the type of player Crede is.

Either Fields or Crede need to hit Crede's best years or else we are stepping backwards which is not acceptable. You can keep arguing with yourself, and can do a few things also with yourself.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
They play different games offensively. Is it fair to ask Juan Uribe to match Alex Sanchez's career average?

Besides that, as Rock pointed out, it wouldn't be hard for Fields to hit .260. That would also come with more walks and more power too. Fields' upside is way, way higher than Crede's, and Crede's gone after this year. Why wouldn't you want a player who got better as the year went on and who is still getting better over a player who is coming off a back injury, has almost certainly peaked as a player, and is gone after this year anyways?

One of these guys has to hit Crede's best years. I don't judge a guy on one season.

Disagree all you want, but I'm not wasting any more time in this thread.

Owens needs to stay in AAA. He can't hit and he can't field and he has scant little potential to hit.

Guillen's man-love for players who hit like he did is absolutely ridiculous. Erstad last year "a .400 hitter" because he swung at everything and could make his outs wherever Ozzie told him to - just like Ozzie did as a player; Owens this year over 3 superior candidates (Ramirez, Anderson, Quinten). Uribe - anothter Ozzie-style hitter, but with more power.

Meanwhile, legitimate talent wallows in AAA or in Ozzie's doghouse.

Here's a suggestion to young players: forget taking pitches and drawing walks. Swing at everything and emulate Ozzie and Walker as hitters as best you can, and you'll have a better shot.

Edited by GreenSox

I absolutely love the idea of him batting 9th. Not that I want him in the lineup, but assuming he will be, 9th is a great option. I hate Swish leading off solely because I hate that "wasted" solo shot he may get. But since he only truly leads off once a game, I don't think there's a better fit on the team ahead of him.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 01:09 AM)
Owens needs to stay in AAA. He can't hit and he can't field and he has scant little potential to hit.

Guillen's man-love for players who hit like he did is absolutely ridiculous. Erstad last year "a .400 hitter" because he swung at everything and could make his outs wherever Ozzie told him to - just like Ozzie did as a player; Owens this year over 3 superior candidates (Ramirez, Anderson, Quinten). Uribe - anothter Ozzie-style hitter, but with more power.

Meanwhile, legitimate talent wallows in AAA or in Ozzie's doghouse.

Here's a suggestion to young players: forget taking pitches and drawing walks. Swing at everything and emulate Ozzie and Walker as hitters as best you can, and you'll have a better shot.

I'm not saying that's an exaggeration but...

Wait, yes I am.