Tom Crean to Indiana

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
But they already signed the LOI -- Marquette doesn't have to let these guys out of their LOI. That would be a complete dick move on their part, but they can still make them come here and go through the business of transferring (if they felt so strongly about it).

And I don't need to be reading that right now, especially with regards to Taylor. I'm going to have faith, though -- Beasley stayed at K-State even though Huggins left, right? Or is that more of an exception-and-not-the-rule thing?

One more thing that works in Marquette's favor -- and hitless first brought it up and the previous poster mentioned it as well -- Marquette has a financial advantage on most other schools. Crean had to have been ranked among the top coaches nationally as far as annual salary, right? I'm relatively confident they'll bring the big bucks to the table.

And to be quite honest... I'm kind of really, really hoping for Weber or Lowery. I'd be fond of either of the two.

No.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
again, i stand by my thought that weber will be illinois's coach this year. but perhaps it is just more than the blind speculation i initially thought.

This is complete rumor-mongering on my part, but some posters on the UI message boards claiming inside knowledge said last year that Weber was hoping Crean would go to Kentucky opening up the Marquette job. Who knows if that is true. But I really do think Weber would be very tempted if Marquette would offer him the job given that he grew up a Marquette fan, it's his hometown, and he can't be happy with the current state of affairs at UI.

On the other hand, given the money backing the Marquette program I think they will look for a flashier hire. Weber would likely be an unpopular hire among the Marquette fans and boosters given what has happened at Illinois. I would think Miller and Bennett would be on the list. Maybe even someone like Anthony Grant. So I would be surprised if Weber got offered the job.

I want an outside take on this question, because I think my perception is much too isolated and close to the situation:

Is Marquette really a good enough program to lure someone like Miller away from Xavier? Or, speaking more generally, where does Marquette rank in the country -- when taking everything into account, i.e. practice facilities, potential $$$, tradition, recruiting-prospects, whatever else you want to base it on -- as far as basketball programs? I'm just trying to get a gage on just how appealing (or 'not' appealing) the vacancy may look to people not so close to the program (i.e. people who probably have a tad more objectivity than I may have)?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
I want an outside take on this question, because I think my perception is much too isolated and close to the situation:

Is Marquette really a good enough program to lure someone like Miller away from Xavier? Or, speaking more generally, where does Marquette rank in the country -- when taking everything into account, i.e. practice facilities, potential $$$, tradition, recruiting-prospects, whatever else you want to base it on -- as far as basketball programs? I'm just trying to get a gage on just how appealing (or 'not' appealing) the vacancy may look to people not so close to the program (i.e. people who probably have a tad more objectivity than I may have)?

I see them as a very middle of the road program. Being a small fish in the big pond of the Big East makes Marquette a tougher sell to many coaches, I would think. Plenty to be proud of with the program, but nowhere near a "final destination" type dream job place.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
This is complete rumor-mongering on my part, but some posters on the UI message boards claiming inside knowledge said last year that Weber was hoping Crean would go to Kentucky opening up the Marquette job. Who knows if that is true. But I really do think Weber would be very tempted if Marquette would offer him the job given that he grew up a Marquette fan, it's his hometown, and he can't be happy with the current state of affairs at UI.

On the other hand, given the money backing the Marquette program I think they will look for a flashier hire. Weber would likely be an unpopular hire among the Marquette fans and boosters given what has happened at Illinois. I would think Miller and Bennett would be on the list. Maybe even someone like Anthony Grant. So I would be surprised if Weber got offered the job.

Lol, this just makes me laugh. It makes no logical sense. Why would a guy be interested in returning to a school he never attended, to a city he grew up in but left 30 years ago, leaving a conference he's worked in for 30 years, all for a school with less tradition and distinction on a national level? Grant it I don't know what he thinks or how he feels, but I would be shocked if he bolted for the Marquette job. Absolutely shocked.

And how can he not be happy with the current state? He's led one of the top programs in the nation over the last 5 years. Yeah he's been burned by some big time recruits. He knows he's f***ed up, he knows the team was devoid of much talent this year, but look at how he's rebounded. Next year he'll have a 5 star player on his roster (Legion) and each year thereafter he has nothing but top 100 talent. I'd say the future of Illinois basketball is better than it has been for years. Steady stream of in-state and out of state talent, a coach that's finally comitted to being there for the long haul, and talks of a new or renovated Hall.

This entire discussion about Crean>Weber is ridiculous. Crean has done nothing to warrant the god-like status people in this thread are giving him. Again, his one good year he had Dwayne Wade. Dwayne f'n Wade. That's like saying Jim Boheim did his best coaching job when he won the national championship because he coached up Carmelo Anthony so well. Give me a break. And who else has he recruited? Are IU fans sure he can even recruit?

My prediction is that he'll be just like Weber and people will be calling for his head within 2 years because he can't land the big fish. He's stepping into a different world of recruiting. He's stepping into a different league with a different level of coaching (which in turn makes that recruiting even more difficult).

The reason he got paid so much by IU is that he understands how much it's going to suck to be the coach of that program for the next 2-3 years. Lack of talent on their current roster, lack of knowing what the NCAA will do and a new coach = rebuilding the program, which takes years.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
Lol, this just makes me laugh. It makes no logical sense. Why would a guy be interested in returning to a school he never attended, to a city he grew up in but left 30 years ago, leaving a conference he's worked in for 30 years, all for a school with less tradition and distinction on a national level? Grant it I don't know what he thinks or how he feels, but I would be shocked if he bolted for the Marquette job. Absolutely shocked.

And how can he not be happy with the current state? He's led one of the top programs in the nation over the last 5 years. Yeah he's been burned by some big time recruits. He knows he's f***ed up, he knows the team was devoid of much talent this year, but look at how he's rebounded. Next year he'll have a 5 star player on his roster (Legion) and each year thereafter he has nothing but top 100 talent. I'd say the future of Illinois basketball is better than it has been for years. Steady stream of in-state and out of state talent, a coach that's finally comitted to being there for the long haul, and talks of a new or renovated Hall.

This entire discussion about Crean>Weber is ridiculous. Crean has done nothing to warrant the god-like status people in this thread are giving him. Again, his one good year he had Dwayne Wade. Dwayne f'n Wade. That's like saying Jim Boheim did his best coaching job when he won the national championship because he coached up Carmelo Anthony so well. Give me a break. And who else has he recruited? Are IU fans sure he can even recruit?

My prediction is that he'll be just like Weber and people will be calling for his head within 2 years because he can't land the big fish. He's stepping into a different world of recruiting. He's stepping into a different league with a different level of coaching (which in turn makes that recruiting even more difficult).

The reason he got paid so much by IU is that he understands how much it's going to suck to be the coach of that program for the next 2-3 years. Lack of talent on their current roster, lack of knowing what the NCAA will do and a new coach = rebuilding the program, which takes years.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)
-_-

Right now, DePaul is trash. With JLP and JW in charge I don't see that changing any time soon.

I feel bad for Marquette. I think this is the first coach, for any sport, that the AD has had to hire (I could be way off). They should just hand it to Buzz Williams. He's a solid recruiter, and his one season at UNO was pretty impressive (despite a sub .500 record).

It's a very good hire when you consider the spot Indiana is in already (plus Gordon will go pro and then the sanctions will come down in June). But, in his 6 years without Dwyane Wade, Crean won a grand total of one game in the NCAA Tournament in his victory over Kentucky in the 1st round this year. He is as hard working of a recruiter as there is in the country though, so if Indiana is patient for a few years as the probation/sanctions and shock factor of losing 4 starters is able to wear off from this year, Crean will more than replenish the program with talent, and talent is what wins games, not coaching. Overall, I'd say it's a pretty good hire.

As for Weber, I can only hope he'd leave for Marquette, and I guess it's possible with his ties to Wisconsin and Milwaukee, but i'm not holding my breath. That news is just too good to be true, and Illinois would keep these recruiting classes together as long as Jerrance Howard stayed around.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
Latest update on Tyshawn Taylor is he will get out of his LOI, but won't be allowed to go to Indiana. The source thinks he'll sign with Ga Tech in 2 weeks.

They're going to wait until the new coach is hired -- I think that much is certain. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
They're going to wait until the new coach is hired -- I think that much is certain. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

The guy I'm getting the information from is a NYC high school assistant basketball coach who's close with the Taylor family.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)

For what it's worth, he turned down Indiana. It's uncertain if the reasoning was the circumstances, the spotlight, or what have you.

Crean definitely scored big time in this situation. This is a classic buy low situation. Within a few seasons, IU will be back up to a level where it probably could get a higher level coach than Crean. I can certainly understand Miller and Bennett being hesitant, but as they say, "this too shall pass." If they were hesitant because of the current situation and not other reasons, I think they will end up regretting their short-sightedness.

Crean might be the biggest winner of this whole situation. He's got a 2-3 year get out of jail free card. He has one of the nation's richest states in terms of basketball talent to recruit from. And he's "rescuing" one of college basketball's storied programs. Oh and he'll come out $18+ mil richer. Go big Tom.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
... the University of Illinois is a world class institution while Marquette is a fine, Catholic school in the greater Milwaukee area.

You can stop beating your chest any time now Illinois boy.

Marquette is an outstanding university, not just a "fine Catholic school in the greater Milwaukee area". If that is what you think, you're only displaying your arrogance, ignorance, or more likely - both.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(scenario @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
You can stop beating your chest any time now Illinois boy.

Marquette is an outstanding university, not just a "fine Catholic school in the greater Milwaukee area". If that is what you think, you're only displaying your arrogance, ignorance, or more likely - both.

I don't think there's a whole helluva lot wrong in that statement -- I don't see that statement at all demeaning to Marquette. It was more him just saying that in the basketball sense, it's tough to assert that Marquette is a more popular destination than U of I is.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
He's stepping into a different league with a different level of coaching (which in turn makes that recruiting even more difficult).

It's no big 11, but I've heard the league he's coming from ain't too shabby...

:unsure:

QUOTE(pierard @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Right now, DePaul is trash.

Agreed.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)

:unsure:

Agreed.

It kills me too as a DePaul alum. Maybe with Crean gone we can squeak out 7 wins in conference play.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)

Well, Jenks' post is chalked full of homerism/Big 10 favoritism. Almost as homer-istic as his prediction of U of I finishing second in the Big 10.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
I seem to recall illinois wanting crean pretty badly, and then crean reupping with marquette.

the reports of illinois contacting/offering crean when self left were fiction, although crean did do a nice job of parlaying the rumors into a nice extension.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
I seem to recall illinois wanting crean pretty badly, and then crean reupping with marquette.

I believe you recall wrong. He called a press conference to say he wouldn't have any interest...though he was never even contacted for the joke.

Keith, to answer your question...or, at least my answer for your question:

I think this specific hire is going to be awfully telling in terms of how desirable a destination Marquette may be viewed in a national sense. Is it considered a "destination job"? Is it considered a stepping stone position? Is it simply considered a Big East meal ticket? Well, I don't know. If I had to guess, I would say while it is not yet a "destination job"--a term we are all familiar with given its mass over-use by the sport media outlets--it is considered a truly fine job in a fine conference. Milwaukee is a cool, little city and I don't care what anyone else really has to say on that. Marquette does have some significant history while still the Warriors and more recently with the Wade Final four. And, the Catholic schools usually know how to treat their coaches right (Notre Dame not withstanding..another delusional fanbase).

So, we'll see how prominent your program is in the near future. You won't have to wait long.

Personally, I think you will see a hire the likes of a Chris Lowery. I think you'll see a younger coach from a lesser-known school or an inferior conference that really views Marquette as an opportunity and not a soft-landing. That doesn't out-and-out condemn Marquette as having not yet arrive on the national stage, but, it may suggest there is still a ways to go...let's see how the next guy does, kind of thing.

But, the pressure is certainly on MU to make a splash. If it wants to continue its upward trend towards the tops of the Big East, it is going to have to hit a home run here.