Positive Catch All

Texsox

QUOTE (Good Guys @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
First time poster here. This site is great by way.

I have seen a couple things that have got me very excited. First off the game against Verlander. While sitting there watching that game there was not one time I really felt the Sox were in danger of losing. Just a much different attitude from last year when there seemed to be no fight.

The second thing is the aggressive style of play that we've seen. The Sox are going right at these other teams. That throw from Quentin to nail Renteria.... I can't remember the last time I saw a White Sox player make a play like that.

For me it has been more than an encouraging start to the season. What a fun team to watch so far. Hope they can keep it up.

Go Sox.

Great first post and welcome to Soxtalk!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw my thoughts out here.

The line-up is set until further notice. Sorry Alexi, Brian, Pablo and Jerry. I think they need to get an average MLB 4th OF and send Alexi and/or Brian down to get at-bats.

Linebrink yesterday was interesting. This was a prototypical Ozzie (I know he was ejected) show me what I have got April move to keep in my pocket until it is needed. Why not bring in Logan or Thorton to face the three lefties in the 8th? He gave up a run but it was cheap and in a close game Quintin catches the pop up blooper. You know now that Linebrink is the 8th inning guy. Thorton needs some work though and it forced Jenks to pitch which with the off day was not that bad of a thing.

This team is winning because the players are doing their job. I think Cabrerra, Thome and Konerko need to step it up a bit ana I am sure they will. It seems Cabrerra is really helping Uribe become an above average 2B, the DP's are looking better as Uribe's arm is a gun. I think Uribe could win a GG at 2B this year if the award was legitimate.

The home plate umpire was terrible yesterday.

The approach at the plate is incredible. Maybe last year was a blessing.

Do the Sox have a stolen base this year or have the yattempted a hit and Run? How are they winning?

Here is to hoping.

Edited by Jenks Heat

With this team's middle of the order there is no need to be wasting outs on the basebaths. I'd like to see this team play solid 1st to 3rd baseball and not make needless outs on the basepaths. When healthy, Swisher, Dye, Kong, Thome, Crede and Quentin all are capable of driving in runners from 1st with doubles and home runs.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 07:12 AM)
Amazing how energy returns when you've got 3 solid MLB outfielders playing everyday instead of 2 who should be out of baseball.

It's also amazing how energy returns when you have competent starting pitching, a strong bullpen, a lineup that scores runs, and your confidence is restored after ripping off five in a row.

Historically, slow starts have decimated the Sox. It looks like they're on track to get back to '05/'06 this year.

I hate the term grinder with a passion, as it usually means the player isn't very talented. Nick Swisher is everything a grinder should be...but he's talented. It's been great to watch him so far this year, and it's refreshing to have his personality on what's a rather quiet team.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
Unless you are playing games in the future and adding them to the stats, then we have two below average 3rd baseman, draw your line where ever you like. :cheers

I can't disagree with this statement at all. My only thoughts on it are that Josh is younger and I want to believe that he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Crede, as a 30 year old player, I would imagine has peaked. So I have hope for Josh to improve in the future, but, understandably, I don't have much for Crede.

And, just so I don't have Crede's Crew eat my face off, I still think Joe's fine and he'll put up good numbers this year. I just want nothing to do with his beyond this season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
I can't disagree with this statement at all. My only thoughts on it are that Josh is younger and I want to believe that he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Crede, as a 30 year old player, I would imagine has peaked. So I have hope for Josh to improve in the future, but, understandably, I don't have much for Crede.

And, just so I don't have Crede's Crew eat my face off, I still think Joe's fine and he'll put up good numbers this year. I just want nothing to do with his beyond this season.

I have no problem with projections that have Fields as the better 3b. I tend to agree. Although it will never be an easy comparison because they have different strengths and weaknesses. I also believe Crede will improve over the next few seasons, based on his back surgery seemingly being a success. But at their respective ages, as you noted, Fields has a much greater potential to improve. I just can't agree that Fields as already proven to be a better 3b than Crede.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
Has there ever been a player that has had more of a positive effect on a team in such a short time than Jenks. Think of what he has done in his time in the big leagues.

I can certainly think of a few. For example, think of the impact Justin Verlander had on the Tigers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
I really hope we give Quentin time to turn into an everyday starter as a corner OF. That really was an excellent trade by KW.

He should be. Its a nice improvement to have a 270-280 avg and a .350+ OBP in LF. Add in some power and plus fielding and there is no way this kid shouldnt play everyday.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
He should be. Its a nice improvement to have a 270-280 avg and a .350+ OBP in LF. Add in some power and plus fielding and there is no way this kid shouldnt play everyday.

Actually, I can come up with a couple ways he shouldn't play every day. If Anderson, for example, could hit like he was in the spring, that gives us 4 OF's for 3 spots, all of whom should be playing. In that case, we're in the enviable position of not being able to play Quentin every day because we're too good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Actually, I can come up with a couple ways he shouldn't play every day. If Anderson, for example, could hit like he was in the spring, that gives us 4 OF's for 3 spots, all of whom should be playing. In that case, we're in the enviable position of not being able to play Quentin every day because we're too good.

Asshole :P

And regardless, BA doesnt have the OBP of Q, I think Q will always be the better player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
And I'll stand by that statement to this day

It is a wrong statement. A healthy Joe Crede is above league average at 3rd. He won't have a great OPS but he'll knock in close to 100, hit 30 HR's, play gold glove defense (people really underestimate this factor as he saves a ton of hits), and swing somewhere between .270 and .285 (which is a completely acceptable average).

Basically the only massive flaw in his inability to draw a lot of walks and have more complete ab's (but every season in the majors he has gotten better at that and that is why his numbers when healthy have gotten better).

I'm not saying Josh can't end up to be better than Joe but right now Joe is a much better baseball player (and to a point he should be since he has a lot more experience under his belt).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)

Between that hole and the absolute disaster at 3B last year (I know Fields hit some hr's late but Crede was horrid prior to being shut down and there was a lot of Andy Gonzalez). Now this lineup has a guy capable of doing something solid at every spot (and that allows the Sox to have a guy like Uribe or eventually Richar have little pressure on them to hit as long as they play great defensively).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Asshole :P

And regardless, BA doesnt have the OBP of Q, I think Q will always be the better player.

Quentin might be a better overall player than Anderson at both of their peak levels, but Anderson living up to his potential (assuming he does, and watching him lately, he just might) is still a pretty good player. Hopefully Anderson could stick around for a while and we'd have a OF of Swisher-Anderson-Quentin when Dye leaves, that'd be pretty decent.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
Quentin might be a better overall player than Anderson at both of their peak levels, but Anderson living up to his potential (assuming he does, and watching him lately, he just might) is still a pretty good player. Hopefully Anderson could stick around for a while and we'd have a OF of Swisher-Anderson-Quentin when Dye leaves, that'd be pretty decent.

Absolutely. BA is the ideal CF, with Swish in LF and Q in right eventually. I'd like to see a nice rotation defensively this season in the later innings as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
It is a wrong statement.

I'll personally disagree with you Jas, but I know what your saying. But from what I've read, and seen from Josh and from what I've said in the past.. he'll have a few all-star apperances before it's all said and done. Just too much athletic, raw talent, still learning the game also.

Yesterday was the perfect microcausum of what Joe Crede brings to this baseball team, without filling the statsheet...

-1st inning throws out Clete Thomas at the plate to prevent a run from scoring.

-Diving play to save a basehit and perfect throw to gun out runner.

-Bounding ball to his left to start DP with a perfect throw to Uribe at second.

The game really has a different look if Joe isn't at 3B yesterday.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
Yesterday was the perfect microcausum of what Joe Crede brings to this baseball team, without filling the statsheet...

-1st inning throws out Clete Thomas at the plate to prevent a run from scoring.

-Diving play to save a basehit and perfect throw to gun out runner.

-Bounding ball to his left to start DP with a perfect throw to Uribe at second.

The game really has a different look if Joe isn't at 3B yesterday.

Crede pops up too much. That overrides all of this.

Buster Olney this morning on M&M

"I was speaking to my good friend Peter Gammons about the Chicago White Sox, and we both feel that we didn't give this team enough of a chance in the off-season, but with the additions Kenny Williams has added, we feel this team is definitely for real." This was pretty much what he said, after stating the Royals and Twins weren't really going to be contenders this year.

So ESPN'ers finally giving this team a chance at going to the playoffs in '08, heheh