Positive Catch All

Texsox

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 10, 2008 -> 02:34 AM)
Brian is at the stage he deserves at least 300 at bats.

C'mon Oz, get him some playing time.

The Sox have Quentin in LF, Swisher in CF, Dye in RF, Konerko at 1B, and Thome at DH

If you can tell me how the Sox can get Anderson 300 ABs without seriously f***ing this team, that'd be amazing. For now, I'll just say it's ridiculous to think he can get that many.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 10, 2008 -> 12:48 AM)
The Sox have Quentin in LF, Swisher in CF, Dye in RF, Konerko at 1B, and Thome at DH

If you can tell me how the Sox can get Anderson 300 ABs without seriously f***ing this team, that'd be amazing. For now, I'll just say it's ridiculous to think he can get that many.

If Anderson doesn't get 300 AB's by giving those guys an off day every 10 days or so...then Anderson's going to get 300 at bats when Thome, Konerko, or Dye finally gets hut. It's really crazy to be pushing these guys so hard right now. Thome hasn't had an off day in a couple weeks and this is the hardest part of our schedule, Konerko and Dye are already dealing with some aches and pains.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
If Anderson doesn't get 300 AB's by giving those guys an off day every 10 days or so...then Anderson's going to get 300 at bats when Thome, Konerko, or Dye finally gets hut. It's really crazy to be pushing these guys so hard right now. Thome hasn't had an off day in a couple weeks and this is the hardest part of our schedule, Konerko and Dye are already dealing with some aches and pains.

Word. Anderson should be playing at least 2-3 times a week, and Swisher is a versatile enough player to allow that to happen. This is basically what I was getting at in the thread I started not too long ago.

I hate to be the guy that was so negative in the offseason but tries to look at the season with Sox colored glasses on, but I seriously think this offense is a move or two away from turning it on offensively, and the pitching is here to stay. Honestly, replace Juan Uribe with Brian Roberts, Alexei Ramirez with Juan Uribe, and just fire Greg Walker and just see what happens. I have a weird feeling it would work.

You'd see a slight regression defensively, so thus, a slight regression in the pitching department, but having just one more guy in the lineup getting on base and getting on 2B consistently would do wonders for this lineup. I've long preached slugging percentage, but what's a bit underrated is just XBHs period, and too many of the Sox XBHs are homers (that sounds terrible, but it should be much more dispersedly spread out). Seeing how the Sox have scored 26% of their runs from the player hitting a home run himself (HR/R), it tells you that they do need to diversify the offense slightly. I feel the 2 (or 3) moves I suggested above will do that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2008 -> 02:05 AM)
I hate to be the guy that was so negative in the offseason but tries to look at the season with Sox colored glasses on, but I seriously think this offense is a move or two away from turning it on offensively, and the pitching is here to stay. Honestly, replace Juan Uribe with Brian Roberts, Alexei Ramirez with Juan Uribe, and just fire Greg Walker and just see what happens. I have a weird feeling it would work.

You'd see a slight regression defensively, so thus, a slight regression in the pitching department, but having just one more guy in the lineup getting on base and getting on 2B consistently would do wonders for this lineup. I've long preached slugging percentage, but what's a bit underrated is just XBHs period, and too many of the Sox XBHs are homers (that sounds terrible, but it should be much more dispersedly spread out). Seeing how the Sox have scored 26% of their runs from the player hitting a home run himself (HR/R), it tells you that they do need to diversify the offense slightly. I feel the 2 (or 3) moves I suggested above will do that.

Buehrle & Richar for Roberts!

Edited by joesaiditstrue

I do agree that Roberts single-handedly makes the offense much much better and a lot less one dimensional. It is funny the type of impact a top notch lead-off hitter can have. The problem is the cost to acquire Roberts is too steap, imo. I think the Sox should look at the rotation they have, realizing that if Floyd/Danks keep it up (and they will have to for the rotation to be good) than you have a good foundation plus Javy/Mark who will be here and productive. Find one more young guy to replace Contreras and than you really will have a nice mix of pitchers (Broadway could be that guy until Poreda comes up and potentially develops into a #1/#2 guy (I'm not saying he will, but it is clear he has the type of arm that can dominate lineups; and yes, there is much more than having a good arm, but you have to at least be excited about his upside).

The key is really retooling the lineup and the Sox have at least found Quentin/Swisher who are nice pieces (plus Fields in the minors). AJP/Dye will be here a bit longer and technically so will Paulie. They will have to find a way to get some more good younger position players here and if you can do that you can really turn things around, imo and have a team that can battle for a year or two and still be solid enough to compete (the offense isn't doing much anyway, so try to get as much young position talent as possible and hope that the pitching staff can keep the Sox in a lot of games and slowly yet surely the offense comes around and you have a real nice looking squad.

And no, it won't necessarily be easy to do this, but it is possible.

How about having Kenny Williams on the roster as the GM? This is the guy who kept Nick Massett and Joe Crede on the opening day roster. This is the guy who believed in Gavin Floyd and Jose Contreras when no one else did. He pulled Carlos Quentin off of the scrapheap for a prospect. Kenny got John Danks AND Nick Massett, when the whole planet, myself included, believed Brandon McCarthy was the next great thing. I could keep going, but yeah for Kenny!

How about having Kenny Williams on the roster as the GM? This is the guy who kept Nick Massett and Joe Crede on the opening day roster. This is the guy who believed in Gavin Floyd and Jose Contreras when no one else did. He pulled Carlos Quentin off of the scrapheap for a prospect. Kenny got John Danks AND Nick Massett, when the whole planet, myself included, believed Brandon McCarthy was the next great thing. I could keep going, but yeah for Kenny!

I was optimistic about Quentin but never thought he'd be this good this soon. He'll probably level off some but that's not for this thread. Southsider I agree with you about believing in players, it appears that's one of Williams strengths. He is willing to be patient in the impatient world of baseball. Sometimes that patience bites him in the behind, but that's not for this thread either.

Detroit does not look good right now, Cleveland is a very good team but not invincible. So, there's reason for optimism but to be fair, there's also reason for optimism in KC, Minnesota, Cleveland, and even Detroit. It's May. But it's nice to see the team coming together. Also in talking to a good friend of mine who posts here, we both feel Williams will add to the team if they're still squarely in the mix two months from now (duh). And I suspect the groundwork is being layed now.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 19, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
I was optimistic about Quentin but never thought he'd be this good this soon. He'll probably level off some but that's not for this thread. Southsider I agree with you about believing in players, it appears that's one of Williams strengths. He is willing to be patient in the impatient world of baseball. Sometimes that patience bites him in the behind, but that's not for this thread either.

Detroit does not look good right now, Cleveland is a very good team but not invincible. So, there's reason for optimism but to be fair, there's also reason for optimism in KC, Minnesota, Cleveland, and even Detroit. It's May. But it's nice to see the team coming together. Also in talking to a good friend of mine who posts here, we both feel Williams will add to the team if they're still squarely in the mix two months from now (duh). And I suspect the groundwork is being layed now.

I would be willing to bet that Kenny is working the phones hard to try to add a second basemen/leadoff hitter as we speak. He likes to make his deals early. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get something done around Flag day.

It's funny how things change so quickly in baseball.

The great road trip puts the Sox back atop the division standings for now and things are looking promising again.

But heading into the road trip and after the first two Angels games, it looked like the same ol s*** and KW was a moron, etc.

I thought we would go 2-8 on the trip and be pretty much toast.

Now it looks like KW is a genius with all those things you mentioned and it looks like Oz is a genius again.

A week of not hitting and losing baseball and KW and Oz will be morons again.

Sox have played pretty well in the wake of the furor over the doll.

Keep making KW look good, Sox. Great great road trip.

Floyd did a great job recovering from the nightmare 5th tonight. First career complete game, only gave up 3 runs and 3 hits, induced 16 ground outs, and gave us a chance to win in the 9th. Just needs to continue to work on that control.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The SP has been great, Cabrera seems to be waking up out of his coma (I'm telling you, once the weather gets hot, so will he), Dye has hit well lately, and we still have Carlos Quentin. We also stole 4 bases tonight.