Negative Catch All ~ House of Blues

Texsox

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)
Crede is what he is. A .260 type hitter that will hit close to 25 HRs.

OC really needs to get it going if this team has any hope in competing this year. Maybe put some pressure on opposing pitchers with guys on base for Thome,PK and JD.

here is what is worriesome Thome is 38...theres no guarantee hes gonna hit above .230 this year (he should, but couldnt he have a mcgwire type finish to his career) ...guys (especially non roid users) usually fall pretty hard pretty quickly...Konerko has always been said to have a body that looks 4 years older than he is and he doesnt have the same bat speed he used to...he and dye are on the downside and its a real possibility that they are honestly a couple years from being done...ditto cabrera on that...

that said, swisher should certainly be hitting...but beyond that...im pretty worried that these guys actually arent gonna start to hit, because frankly they are nearing the end of their careers

Edited by daa84

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)
Well, Joe Crede and Ozzie Guillen should get special recognition for that loss. Pitching to Stewart lost us that game...good job Ozzie! At least you can motivate the players.

no, you should be happy Ozzie had MB pitched to SS. If he hadnt' this game wouldve went 13 innings before losing 1-0. I cant take seeing that offense anymore today.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 3, 2008 -> 02:22 AM)
Kotchman? LOL. Santana would have been nice and a great addition to trade Konerko, but Kotchman is no Konerko.

You mean the .340 hitting Kotchman with a .980 OPS. Did you know that PK beat Kotchman by .001 OPS last season?

You mean the .340 hitting Kotchman with a .980 OPS. Did you know that PK beat Kotchman by .001 OPS last season?

Last year? Okay, how about the years before that? And it's too early into the season to start comparing statistics. Paulie has always been a late starter. Plus, as far as I know Kotchman is not as good defensively.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 2, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
here is what is worriesome Thome is 38...theres no guarantee hes gonna hit above .230 this year...guys (especially non roid users) usually fall pretty hard pretty quickly...Konerko has always been said to have a body that looks 4 years older than he is and he doesnt have the same bat speed he used to...he and dye are on the downside and its a real possibility that they are honestly a couple years from being done...ditto cabrera on that...

that said, swisher should certainly be hitting...but beyond that...im pretty worried that these guys actually arent gonna start to hit, because frankly they are nearing the end of their careers

Dye had a really good 2nd half last season. I think he'll be ok. I think Thome will be Ok, too. I don't think his bat speed is a problem. Konerko I can see, but he should still be a decent hitter (.850 OPS).

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 3, 2008 -> 02:25 AM)
Last year? Okay, how about the years before that? And it's too early into the season to start comparing statistics. Paulie has always been a late starter.

Considering Kotchman's age, I think it's pretty clear that he's blossoming into a big time hitter.

wow, just awful. The fact that Juan Uribe had the best approach at the plate all night is sad. I've posted this before, but I'll say it again... maybe Walker isn't the problem, but after this team has slumped offensively this long, you have to launch him.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 3, 2008 -> 02:25 AM)
Last year? Okay, how about the years before that? And it's too early into the season to start comparing statistics. Paulie has always been a late starter. Plus, as far as I know Kotchman is not as good defensively.

And PK is good defensively? His defense has been atrocious this season, and his lack of range offsets his ability to scoop balls in the dirt.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)

dude, last year was Kotchman's first full season as a pro. He's got a lot more upside than PK does.

Dye had a really good 2nd half last season. I think he'll be ok. I think Thome will be Ok, too. I don't think his bat speed is a problem. Konerko I can see, but he should still be a decent hitter (.850 OPS).

LOL. Paulie is way too young for anyone to be "giving up" on him. JD I still have a little hope for, although I think he's past his best years. And as much as I want to, I can't get very excited for Thome anymore. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm past the point where I expect much from him anymore.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)

you mean those years before when kotchman was hitting like .370 in AAA and was establishing himself as a top 5 prospect in basbeall...also showed promise initially after he was called up and then got hurt?

actually the story sounds eerily similar to a certain OF we now have

kotchmans legit...id take him over konerko everyday of the week at this point in their careers....especially considering money

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
LOL. Paulie is way too young for anyone to be "giving up" on him. JD I still have a little hope for, although I think he's past his best years. And as much as I want to, I can't get very excited for Thome anymore. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm past the point where I expect much from him anymore.

im certainly not giving up on Konerko, but if people are waiting for konerko to be the paul konerko of 2004-2006...i think they will be sorely disappointed...

oh and can i please squash a false statement that goes around on this site alot...konerko hasnt always been a slow starter....the two years he made the allstar team he was dynamite early in the year...that one year i think he had 22 HR at the break (the year he was in teh derby)....inconsistent? yes he always has been very streaky, but not always just a slow april type guy

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 3, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
im certainly not giving up on Konerko, but if people are waiting for konerko to be the paul konerko of 2004-2006...i think they will be sorely disappointed...

If his hands are really hurting every time he swings, we should put him on the DL.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 3, 2008 -> 02:43 AM)
Remember in 2005 when Cleveland couldn't hit and then they fired Eddie Murray, and then started hitting.

This happens every year:

i) team can't hit ii) team fires hitting coach iii) team starts hitting

What is taking so long?

The Sox had a payroll over 100 million dollars last year, and barely won 70 games. The only person who wasn't brough back was Razor Shines. That's all you need to know.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
The Sox had a payroll over 100 million dollars last year, and barely won 70 games. The only person who wasn't brough back was Razor Shines. That's all you need to know.

I certainly hope you're not trying to insinuate Kenny won't fire Greg Walker. He's already fired two other guys in his tenure.

Watching our offense makes me mad at our GM again. Didn't take me all that long for this inevitable development, although I can't blame Ozzie for anything right now. His hands are tied with this roster offensively, and the pitching has been fine.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

This season was supposed to be 'a run' with all these old guys, dealing away our entire minor leagues and this is what we get?

The team could still rebound and do something a little better than mediocre, but I don’t see it, because mediocre is exactly what the White Sox are.

We should have started rebuilding this thing as far back as 2 years ago, instead we get this same laborious crap for yet a 2nd straight year. Rebuilding this franchise will be a task of herculean proportions due to the dismal shape in which Williams has left it. Oh I know I know, Williams won a World Series, so no matter how horrifically he runs the team now, he has that special little get out of jail free card.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 2, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
I certainly hope you're not trying to insinuate Kenny won't fire Greg Walker. He's already fired two other guys in his tenure.

Well Ozzie just came out and said he isnt firing Greg Walker. That he has vets and they dont need the hitting coach.

if you dont need a hitting coach ozzie, then why are we having him stay around.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 3, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
Well Ozzie just came out and said he isnt firing Greg Walker. That he has vets and they dont need the hitting coach.

if you dont need a hitting coach ozzie, then why are we having him stay around.

If Ozzie keeps making these horrible decisions with an open base, then his ass better be fired. I'm so sick of the KW/Ozzie/Walker trio.

Ozzie knows this team is struggling to score runs, and he's made some horrific decisions the last two games in the first inning.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
Another pathetic outing by the offense. Doesn't matter who they did or didn't pitch to if you don't score any runs.

Just wait! They'll start hitting in June! I promise!

I'll just repost this for today's game.

7th in the AL in runs scored

9th in the AL with OBP,

Last in BA with .237

Last in Hits

11th in doubles

13th in triples

1st in homers though.

PFB's rant now is that firing Greg Walker might make it worse because they like him. Worse that the worst offense in the AL for over a year in a half? Really?

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 3, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
7th in the AL in runs scored

9th in the AL with OBP,

Last in BA with .237

Last in Hits

11th in doubles

13th in triples

1st in homers though.

PFB's rant now is that firing Greg Walker might make it worse because they like him. Worse that the worst offense in the AL for over a year in a half? Really?

:crying