Negative Catch All ~ House of Blues

Texsox

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
Ok maybe not fields, but thome shouldn't be playing anymore

anymore? as in the Sox should just cut him or trade him or bench him?

That might be the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard on here. You are talking about a hitter that will, almost certainly, make or break the Sox year.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 12:00 AM)
Jim Thome was our best hitter last season.

Crazy idea to think of getting rid of him just yet.

This team needs to get really hot here the next couple of weeks as they are playing beatable teams wrapped around the Yankees. If you look at the rest of the division they are playing tough schedules. The Sox need to open ground now as May is a complete road trip with little or no off days.

The Quintin AB in 9th was a disgrace both he and Crede had a miserable nights at the plate.

The 2-0, 3-1 pop-ups are inexcusable.

Edited by Jenks Heat

I dont know if it was the weather but at last nights game there was a large percentage of a-hole fans at the game,more than usual.There was a small group of Oakland fans that were about 15 years old holding signs up for the A's.People were cursing and heckling them the whole game.I have a problem with that,its not like they were rubbing it in our face that they were there in our territory trying to mock our team.They were just some kids cheering for their team while they ate their dippin dots and we have all these meathead fans that wouldnt let them hear the end of it.It was pitiful to see as a sox fan.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
I dont know if it was the weather but at last nights game there was a large percentage of a-hole fans at the game,more than usual.There was a small group of Oakland fans that were about 15 years old holding signs up for the A's.People were cursing and heckling them the whole game.I have a problem with that,its not like they were rubbing it in our face that they were there in our territory trying to mock our team.They were just some kids cheering for their team while they ate their dippin dots and we have all these meathead fans that wouldnt let them hear the end of it.It was pitiful to see as a sox fan.

Welcome to "Value Mondays" also known as half price night. Save $12 on a ticket and buy 5 beers at $32......

You see what you are getting on "Value Mondays".

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
Welcome to "Value Mondays" also known as half price night. Save $12 on a ticket and buy 5 beers at $32......

You see what you are getting on "Value Mondays".

I forgot about that.I was drinking hot chocolate.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
Jim Thome was our best hitter last season.

Crazy idea to think of getting rid of him just yet.

I'm a big Thome guy (even back when he was with the hated Tribe), but I'm going to be pissed if he's in a Sox uniform next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 08:14 AM)
Prepare to be pissed

So you don't think that they'll buy out his contract? He'd have to have 1,100 plate appearances combined from last and this year for that to happen. I guess it's possible.

I'd look to let him walk next year (he'll be 39 next August), but that's just me.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
So you don't think that they'll buy out his contract? He'd have to have 1,100 plate appearances combined from last and this year for that to happen. I guess it's possible.

I'd look to let him walk next year (he'll be 39 next August), but that's just me.

The Phillies are including $5.5 mill, so that means the Sox have Thome for $7.5 mill next year with a $3 mill buyout; essentially, a savings of $4.5 million isn't worth losing a potential 35 homers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
The Phillies are including $5.5 mill, so that means the Sox have Thome for $7.5 mill next year with a $3 mill buyout; essentially, a savings of $4.5 million isn't worth losing a potential 35 homers.

I didn't realize that the Phillies were paying for Thome's option year. In that case, it might not be a terrible idea.

Still, I'd prefer to put the money towards the first year of a four-year deal for Joe. The Sox desperately need to get younger.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
I didn't realize that the Phillies were paying for Thome's option year. In that case, it might not be a terrible idea.

Still, I'd prefer to put the money towards the first year of a four-year deal for Joe. The Sox desperately need to get younger.

Putting money towards a 4 year deal for Crede really doesn't make the team that much younger.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
Putting money towards a 4 year deal for Crede really doesn't make the team that much younger.

Crede is still in his early 30s. Thome will be 39 next August.

Dumping Thome would also allow JD or PK to move to DH and open up a spot for Fields.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
Crede is still in his early 30s. Thome will be 39 next August.

Dumping Thome would also allow JD or PK to move to DH and open up a spot for Fields.

For the sake of accuracy, Crede turns 30 on April 26th and Thome turns 38 on August 27th.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)

Whereas not putting money towards a 4 year deal for Crede gets you the 4-5 years younger Josh Fields.

Plus, I know this is the negative thread and all, but the Sox really aren't that old anymore. Fields, Swisher, Richar, Ramirez, Quentin, Anderson, Owens - none of those guys can really be considered "old" and all of them are with the club for several more years either at a really cheap price, or a below-market price.

I also know that Konerko has been with the Sox (and quite frankly in the majors) forever, and I like to say he plays older than he really is...but he's only 32 too, and he's a pretty damn good hitter. I see his power fading away in a few years, but his contract runs out after 2010, and he should still be atleast an average regular at 1B at that point in time.

It's also a bit ironic that people want to lock Crede up to a long term deal, yet want to dump Konerko to get younger...he's 2 years older than Joe and has been a much better player over the course of his career. Crede's back issue is, IMO, a bit more severe than the hip issue Konerko has, though neither is something to bat an eye at.

I really, really don't want to see Crede here long term, unless it's something somewhat reasonable for the level of player he is (and that would be like a 4 year deal with the ability to opt out after 2 if he doesn't reach something like, say, 800 PAs...a very reasonable number should he stay healthy, yet unachievable if his back goes out early in the contract). And I really don't want to see that either. Crede's not really a player you build around, and I think signing him to a contract extension could have a similar effect to giving Contreras a contract extension.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)

Younger by getting rid of/trading Joe, inserting Fields, and signing a free agent arm hopefully to take the Count's place.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
It's also a bit ironic that people want to lock Crede up to a long term deal, yet want to dump Konerko to get younger...he's 2 years older than Joe and has been a much better player over the course of his career.

It probably has something to do with the fact that Joe can play All Star-caliber defense at 3B, while Paulie's limited to 1B and DH. The fact that Crede was downright phenomenal both offensively and defensively down the stretch in '05 is likely a contributing factor as well.

I'm not expecting KW to keep Crede around, and would be fine with Fields as our future 3B. But comparing Paulie to Joe is almost comparing apples and oranges.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
It probably has something to do with the fact that Joe can play All Star-caliber defense at 3B, while Paulie's limited to 1B and DH. The fact that Crede was downright phenomenal both offensively and defensively down the stretch in '05 is likely a contributing factor as well.

I'm not expecting KW to keep Crede around, and would be fine with Fields as our future 3B. But comparing Paulie to Joe is almost comparing apples and oranges.

Well, if you're talking playoffs, that's apples to apples, and it's at best a wash because if one guy had to be chosen, Konerko was the absolute hero of the playoffs. FWIW.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
Well, if you're talking playoffs, that's apples to apples, and it's at best a wash because if one guy had to be chosen, Konerko was the absolute hero of the playoffs. FWIW.

Crede hit four homers in the playoffs and drove in 11 runs, including a game-winning single and saved at least a couple of runs in the first two games of the WS with his defense. Konerko was the better hitter, but Crede was by far the best overall position player in October of '05.

What happened 3 years ago in the playoffs should have zero influence on signings going forward. This team should get younger where they can, and one of those spots is 3B.

That said, I came into this thread to voice my concern about how bad Contreras is looking. Is he hurt? Just sucks? I think he's washed up personally. I'm glad for that great half season or so he gave us, but it's time to show him the door if there is a move to be made at the deadline or sooner.