2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 09:40 PM)
Watched most of the forum on "Service" earlier tonight. Both candidates did very well and were refreshing to listen to. It's too bad that starting tomorrow it's back to mudslinging. I'm sure we can expect another 54 days of it too.

I have grown to be disguisted by the politics of both sides in this race, and I mean that in every sense of the word politics, from their beliefs on the issues to the mudslinging. However, I do think the people on both tickets are legitimately good people, and in that sense we could do worse.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080913/ap_on_...e3gICr8SmCs0NUE

WASHINGTON - Activists at a conservative political forum snapped up boxes of waffle mix depicting Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama as a racial stereotype on its front and wearing Arab-like headdress on its top flap.

Values Voter Summit organizers cut off sales of Obama Waffles boxes on Saturday, saying they had not realized the boxes displayed "offensive material." The summit and the exhibit hall where the boxes were sold had been open since Thursday afternoon.

Nope, nobody's calling him a muslim. Nobody's playing the race card but him.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080913/ap_on_...e3gICr8SmCs0NUE

Nope, nobody's calling him a muslim. Nobody's playing the race card but him.

Yup, pretty classless move there. The big difference though is the organizors stopped it when they found out about it. If this were a Democratric convention and 2 people had set up a booth selling Palin Pork Sausage that depicted cartoon images of her as a pig with snout and all, it would have never been pulled, Kos would have front page diaries about how good the sausage was, Randi Rhodes would pass out from complaingin that the sausage was too opiniated and wanted to push its religion on the rest of us and it would just get chuckled away as 2 vendors trying to make a buck, not something that the party or its organizers condoned.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
Yup, pretty classless move there. The big difference though is the organizors stopped it when they found out about it. If this were a Democratric convention and 2 people had set up a booth selling Palin Pork Sausage that depicted cartoon images of her as a pig with snout and all, it would have never been pulled, Kos would have front page diaries about how good the sausage was, Randi Rhodes would pass out from complaingin that the sausage was too opiniated and wanted to push its religion on the rest of us and it would just get chuckled away as 2 vendors trying to make a buck, not something that the party or its organizers condoned.

Not like the organizers could have ever gone to their website or anything, http://www.obamawaffles.com. This only got pulled because the media found out about it and it looked bad.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 08:36 AM)
Not like the organizers could have ever gone to their website or anything, http://www.obamawaffles.com. This only got pulled because the media found out about it and it looked bad.

And Obama only dumped Ayers, Rev Wright and numerous other people because the media found out about it and it looked bad. What's your point? The organizers sell booth space. They don't check every tiny detail of the sellers, and when a problem was brought to their attention, they took care of it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
Gallup daily tracking poll has McCain now up 47-45%

Obama has been gaining a point a day on Gallup for the last three days, so I think we're seeing the tightening of this race that we've always supposed to see.

DailyKos has also commissioned a poll from Research 2000, and it shows the race tied 47-47. The cool stuff about the Daily Kos poll is that it posts all the data every day, so you can see everything.

Rasmussen shows a 50-47 McCain lead.

Now that the McCain/Palin bounce is fading, we are starting to see the reality that neither party wants to admit. The Democrats have spent the summer measuring the drapes at the White House and have been a little overconfident. In reality, they're in a good spot, but on the defensive. In a sense, this could be a hidden blessing for the Democrats. I'd rather be the party that isn't overconfident about a victory in a tight race on November 4.

McCain has seen the race tighten and gotten a nicer, bigger bounce out of the two conventions, but seems to have taken an extremely negative, not straight talk express way to get there. With 50 days left, it means that there very well could be a big backfire happening there.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)

bsflag.gifBiased conclusion based on opinion.

Lately, when I hear Republicans I think Kap, SS, etc or when I hear Democrats I think Balta, Jim, Rex and it really puts things in perspective. If it doesn't fit for those guys, then I reject it. I am guessing that most people rejected the Obama waffle mix and probably walked by with some dismay. I believe if Kap was there he would have smirked the I'm going to hell smirk, then voiced some complaint.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
And Obama only dumped Ayers, Rev Wright and numerous other people because the media found out about it and it looked bad. What's your point? The organizers sell booth space. They don't check every tiny detail of the sellers, and when a problem was brought to their attention, they took care of it.

You'd think when they saw the giant poster behind them, they'd have figured it out before the third day of the convention.

Here's an interview with the Waffle folks at their booth at the convention.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/b...bctid1790977147

I don't want to make a broad generalization here and say that the Republicans support the Muslim rumor or the veiled racism here, but it seems pretty obvious that these people who ran the convention were more than willing to turn a blind eye to it.

And if this doesn't represent the mainstream of Republican politics, why did the chair of GOPAC, Michael Steele speak there? Why did Mittens Romney make an appearance for the second straight year? And Tom DeLay, Sean Hannity and Newt Gingrich?

There's no outrage or anger here. But for all the talk I've heard about Obama's supporters alienating people on the fence by being annoying - how does this make the people behind McCain look?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
Lately, when I hear Republicans I think Kap, SS, etc or when I hear Democrats I think Balta, Jim, Rex and it really puts things in perspective. If it doesn't fit for those guys, then I reject it. I am guessing that most people rejected the Obama waffle mix and probably walked by with some dismay. I believe if Kap was there he would have smirked the I'm going to hell smirk, then voiced some complaint.

I know you were sorta kidding, but seriously, no way. I think this stuff has no place whatsoever in the election. In fact, I find it extremely distasteful, stupid, and just flat out wrong and totally comdemn what these people think as a "joke".

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
You'd think when they saw the giant poster behind them, they'd have figured it out before the third day of the convention.

Here's an interview with the Waffle folks at their booth at the convention.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/b...bctid1790977147

I don't want to make a broad generalization here and say that the Republicans support the Muslim rumor or the veiled racism here, but it seems pretty obvious that these people who ran the convention were more than willing to turn a blind eye to it.

And if this doesn't represent the mainstream of Republican politics, why did the chair of GOPAC, Michael Steele speak there? Why did Mittens Romney make an appearance for the second straight year? And Tom DeLay, Sean Hannity and Newt Gingrich?

There's no outrage or anger here. But for all the talk I've heard about Obama's supporters alienating people on the fence by being annoying - how does this make the people behind McCain look?

I have often heard from the Dem side here that the blogs don't represent the mainstream democratic party. If they don't represent them, why do so many of the prominent politicians on that side post there? You know as well as I do that they all need every vote they can get. That is why they go to these things. The convention last year frew 7 of the 8 presidential candidates. But nothing racist or derogatory ever appears on Kos.

http://www.yearlykosconvention.org/about

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
I have often heard from the Dem side here that the blogs don't represent the mainstream democratic party. If they don't represent them, why do so many of the prominent politicians on that side post there? You know as well as I do that they all need every vote they can get. That is why they go to these things. The convention last year frew 7 of the 8 presidential candidates. But nothing racist or derogatory ever appears on Kos.

http://www.yearlykosconvention.org/about

You answered your own question.

You guys act like yearlykos is a celebration of dailykos diaries, when it's really a collection of the top liberal bloggers and online sites to have seminars about the changing media landscape and changing political landscape in the face of this gigantic new tool on the internet.

Once again, Dkos has thousands of people writing diaries everyday. It's not the same as a newspaper editor having reporters below him, kos enables a site that allows anyone to come in and write a diary.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
I think what he's trying to emphasize is that recessions are temporary and he's trying to say we aren't all f***ed.

well he's certainly not "f***ed". He's got 10 houses. They could sell 7 and still have money left over. ;)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
I think what he's trying to emphasize is that recessions are temporary and he's trying to say we aren't all f***ed.

I realize that but the message seems like he's a bit out of touch. The average American isn't an economist.