2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
Very few leaders in this country actually know what the f*** they're talking about when it comes to energy, so frankly, I don't want to hear it.

Another reason for Obama to pick Richardson (or Gore) as VP.

again, no way in hell Gore would become VP. Would he become 'special advisor to the president' or something? yeah, but right now he's allowed to do whatever he wants and probably has more influence.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
again, no way in hell Gore would become VP. Would he become 'special advisor to the president' or something? yeah, but right now he's allowed to do whatever he wants and probably has more influence.

Not to mention he has gotten rich as hell off of the whole green thing, and there is no way he divests his positions to take the Veep job. I am convinced that is why he didn't run for the top job in the last two elections.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
Another reason for Obama to pick Richardson (or Gore) as VP.

I've heard a lot about Richardson becoming VP, as he'd be good for the Latino vote for Obama (although how would that affect white middle class voters who may then go from Clinton to McCain I wonder?).

Who are the other main candidates for the position?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
Let me just say, "What the f***, New Yorker?"

At least we can finally confirm that Obama is not Muslim because if he was then he'd be bombing embassies or something because of this.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
At least we can finally confirm that Obama is not Muslim because if he was then he'd be bombing embassies or something because of this.

Green not necessary?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
Didn't want to be called out on stereotyping.

It's not a stereotype if it's true. :lol:

In fact that's what makes me laugh about the whole thing. You're pissed that your religion gets mocked, and your prophet is portrayed as a terrorist, so what do you do in protest? Act exactly like a terrorist. ROFL. Way to fight those negative stereotypes!

http://rasmussenreports.com/public_content...l_tracking_poll

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll

Monday, July 14, 2008

Email a Friend Email to a Friend

Advertisement

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll shows Barack Obama attracting 44% of the vote while John McCain earns 42%. The candidates had been tied at 43% for the past two days.

When "leaners" are included, itâ€s Obama 47% and McCain 46%. For most of the past month-and-a-half, Obama has led McCain by approximately five percentage points (see recent daily results). Tracking Polls are released at 9:30 a.m. Eastern Time each day (see recent demographic highlights). McCainâ€s improvement in the polls comes as more Americans believe it is possible for the U.S. to win the war in Iraq.

McCain is now viewed favorably by 56% of voters and unfavorably by 41%. For Obama, the numbers are 54% favorable and 43% unfavorable. Other key stats on the race can be found at Obama-McCain: By the Numbers.

Please sign up for the Rasmussen Reports daily e-mail update (itâ€s free)… let us keep you up to date with the latest public opinion news.

The Rasmussen Reports Balance of Power Calculator shows now Obama leading in states with 210 Electoral College votes while McCain leads in states with 171 votes. When leaners are included, itâ€s Obama 293, McCain 227. New state polling data will be released each afternoon this week.

Rasmussen Markets data gives Obama a 66.4 % chance of winning the White House.

Daily tracking results are collected via telephone surveys of 1,000 likely voters per night and reported on a three-day rolling average basis. The margin of sampling error—for the full sample of 3,000 Likely Voters--is +/- 2 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Results are also compiled on a full-week basis and crosstabs for the full-week results are available for Premium Members.

A review of last weekâ€s key polls is posted each Saturday morning.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
If Obama were the Republican nominee and this was run, the GOP would be on every major news outlet and every talk show decrying this and saying how dare the "liberal media" libel a presidential candidate.

They don't seem to think much of it either...

Republican John McCain's campaign spokesman, Tucker Bonds, agreed that the cover was "tasteless and offensive."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

A couple of things.

One, Obama has done a wonderful job of turning red states purple and purple states red. The fact that he is polling ahead in states like North Carolina is pretty amazing, as he can really seem to mobilize a base.

Two, as far as Bill Richardson, at least here in Iowa, he tends to get a lot of respect from both Democrats and Republicans. I have no idea why Survey USA didn't include him on the polling with vice presidential matchups, but I do think he'd make Iowa overwhelmingly blue. It's simply amazing how many people I've talked to from both parties that feel he's very qualified.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
His plan has some holes, but its a far sight better than anything that McCain or Bush have offered. Although with McCain, he's sort of changed his mind a few times on it, so its hard to say what his plan really is.

I respectfully, completely disagree. Throwing money at the problem, blaming speculators, and investing some moneys in future development is not a comprehensive energy plan.

Bush, a terrible president, at least took some real action.

Edited by Maxwell

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
If Obama were the Republican nominee and this was run, the GOP would be on every major news outlet and every talk show decrying this and saying how dare the "liberal media" libel a presidential candidate.

the New Yorker cover is actually making fun of the perception of Obama. The New Yorker has been very pro-Obama, claiming that they are intentionally trying to hurt his campaign is false.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
I respectfully, completely disagree. Throwing money at the problem, blaming speculators, and investing some moneys in future development is not a comprehensive energy plan.

Bush, a terrible president, at least took some real action.

Wait... you're serious about Bush taking "some real action"??? He sat on his ass for 7 years and watched a big problem become a GIANT problem, not to mention his policies and actions have contributed to the rise in the price of oil. And every time he gives a speech about alt energy, his spokesperson follows with a "he didn't mean it".

Bush has been abjectly awful on energy policy. Either of these candidates will probably be a world better.

No doubt he has been terrible in the past. The fact remains, he took action today by lifting one ban on offshore drilling and urging congress to do the same. That will have a real effect on the price of oil, right now, should congress follow suit. If obama were implementing his plan at this moment, I could not say the same thing. I'd be sitting around waiting for a check for 5 months watching the problem get worse.

Edited by Maxwell