2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
well, I for one am a believer in the fact that this election is already over, and that Obama already has the presidency locked up (unless very incriminating video comes out).

So, congrats Dems.

I honestly feel that Hilldog would have been a surer bet for a democrat in office.

However, I would have had a REALLY tough time voting for her.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
I honestly feel that Hilldog would have been a surer bet for a democrat in office.

However, I would have had a REALLY tough time voting for her.

And you know what? I feel the exact opposite. I feel like the Republicans would just drag out all the old garbage that never went anywhere, Whitewater, Paula Jones, Vince Foster, and so on...and whether or not there is any merit to them, between the media going off on it, and the fact that I think an awful lot of people are just sick of hearing about this stuff, it would really hurt her in the fall. But thankfully, we'll never have to know, and the last time the Dems voted based on some arbitrary measure of electability, it didn't work that well anyway.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
McCain officially begins the general election with a banner that says "A Leader We Can Believe In"

hmmmm....

Is that REALLY the best he can come up with??

Well, at least it's not lifted from an anti-depressant.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 06:53 PM)
emptysuit.jpg

durrr

change

If you just watched McCain's speech and think he has a chance then pass me what you're smoking. Obama will mop him up in the debates. McCain's voting record is 95% in agreement with George Bush. That's not going to fly with Americans.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
If you just watched McCain's speech and think he has a chance then pass me what you're smoking. Obama will mop him up in the debates. McCain's voting record is 95% in agreement with George Bush. That's not going to fly with Americans.

Do you have a link for that?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
Do you have a link for that?

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/05/28/mccain...e-time-in-2008/

According to a CQ analysis of Senate votes on issues President Bush expressed “an explicit, stated opinion,” Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) voted with President Bush 100 percent of the time in 2008 and 95 percent of the time in 2007.

And that was only the times he was ACTUALLY there to vote. He's missed more votes in the last two years than any person in the senate.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/05/28/mccain...e-time-in-2008/

And that was only the times he was ACTUALLY there to vote. He's missed more votes in the last two years than any person in the senate.

Let's just add, CQ= Congressional Quarterly, which sits behind a subscription wall. Here's the data table on McCain's votes for and against Bush for the last 8 years, also...since as I keep saying, it's just folly to plot up the votes of people who are off campaigning for a higher position, because they only show up for the strongly contested ones.

Year Support Oppose

2008 (through May 15, 2008) 100% 0%

2007 95% 5%

2006 89% 11%

2005 77% 23%

2004 92% 8%

2003 91% 9%

2002 90% 10%

2001 91% 9%

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
Let's just add, CQ= Congressional Quarterly, which sits behind a subscription wall. Here's the data table on McCain's votes for and against Bush for the last 8 years, also...since as I keep saying, it's just folly to plot up the votes of people who are off campaigning for a higher position, because they only show up for the strongly contested ones.

Year Support Oppose

2008 (through May 15, 2008) 100% 0%

2007 95% 5%

2006 89% 11%

2005 77% 23%

2004 92% 8%

2003 91% 9%

2002 90% 10%

2001 91% 9%

those numbers sting. well... not me, but McCain who is DESPERATELY trying to distance himself from Bush while letting Bush run fund raisers for him.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
His speech? It was on live TV just a few moments ago. His one-liners were painful to watch.

No, the link to the stat. It helped me out with an argument on another board :lol: (I was saying that the "most liberal voting record in the Senate" was a useless stat).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)

The speech was fine. But thanks for your input Obamatron3000.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
The speech was fine. But thanks for your input Obamatron3000.

I'm reading that there were actually people on Fox News discussing reasons for why his speech was so bad tonight.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
I'm reading that there were actually people on Fox News discussing reasons for why his speech was so bad tonight.

Well, Barack should certainly win now shouldn't he. I'll inform the people in Washington so the election can be properly canceled and Obama given his rightful throne.

;)

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
They are just like Edwards speeches except with a quasi-MLK inflection.

and a lot less substance. and a lot more preaching. and dumb chants.