2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
Obama can motivate me to go fight for my country in Afghanistan. McCain couldn't motivate me to move my car because I am blocking him in at a dinner party.

I want a president who can motivate.

... yeah, so did the germans. and before i get flamed i don't think obama is hitler-esque in any way shape or form, i'm just saying the ability to control people so thoroughly is a bit creepy to me.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
... yeah, so did the germans. and before i get flamed i don't think obama is hitler-esque in any way shape or form, i'm just saying the ability to control people so thoroughly is a bit creepy to me.

NOT if it is for a good cause. I dont see universal health care, an end to the war, and education reform as bad things to motivate people to do.

But, I do completely understand what you mean.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)

Says the actor.

:P

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
After McCain became the presumptive nominee, how long was it until Huckabee conceded? I honestly dont remember. I thought it was that night.

right but huckabee didn't run a massively long campaign and 18 million voters that deserve an easier letdown than her coming out and saying "no" when they were chanting "denver", as some CNN analyst said she should have... idiotic.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:00 PM)
right but huckabee didn't run a massively long campaign and 18 million voters that deserve an easier letdown than her coming out and saying "no" when they were chanting "denver", as some CNN analyst said she should have... idiotic.

good point. but it IS over when you lose. There is NO shame in saying 'hey I lost". In fact, I RESPECT people who can face reality. She hasnt faced reality for the better part of a month,

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
After McCain became the presumptive nominee, how long was it until Huckabee conceded? I honestly dont remember. I thought it was that night.

Huckabee conceeded the night that McCain clinched their delegate count, March 4th (Texas/Ohio). Here's his comparatively gracious speech.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
Huckabee conceeded the night that McCain clinched their delegate count, March 4th (Texas/Ohio). Here's his comparatively gracious speech.

YOu can all tell how much of a centralist I am. i really liked huck. I would have still voted for Obama because of Iraq and health care, but as a PERSON, i liked him a lot. Policies... not so much.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
good point. but it IS over when you lose. There is NO shame in saying 'hey I lost". In fact, I RESPECT people who can face reality. She hasnt faced reality for the better part of a month,

well i think we'll see her facing reality within the next couple days. thing is, she didn't face reality in the same way that huckabee didn't face reality for the last legs of his campaign, ron paul never faced reality. politicians really CANT face reality if they're to maintain their hold on their supporters. You've GOT to keep them going to keep your issues alive. Because once you're out of the race, those people will want to see your issues live on.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)
well i think we'll see her facing reality within the next couple days. thing is, she didn't face reality in the same way that huckabee didn't face reality for the last legs of his campaign, ron paul never faced reality. politicians really CANT face reality if they're to maintain their hold on their supporters. You've GOT to keep them going to keep your issues alive. Because once you're out of the race, those people will want to see your issues live on.

:headbang for the ROn Paul cmment.

As for the dead issues, kinda lke what happened to Edwards, right? It's unfortunate he kinda went away after he dropped out. I've said to you before that Edwards was my #2 love. I still dream of Obama / Edwards or Obama / Richardson.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)

As for the dead issues, kinda lke what happened to Edwards, right? It's unfortunate he kinda went away after he dropped out. I've said to you before that Edwards was my #2 love. I still dream of Obama / Edwards or Obama / Richardson.

yeah... part of me would looove an Edwards VP but I know he doesn't want it - which I completely respect. but I think that you will see poverty resurface in some way, shape or form with Edwards spearheading it, at some point in the future.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
yeah... part of me would looove an Edwards VP but I know he doesn't want it - which I completely respect. but I think that you will see poverty resurface in some way, shape or form with Edwards spearheading it, at some point in the future.

yea. and Obama said he has adopted Edwards poverty policy / campaign. It was the "tipping point" in the Edwards endorsement.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)

I'm not sure about the VP slot, because I don't know what Obama might want to do with that, but I'll bet that other than that he could get any position he wants. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wound up with HHS or the AG slot in an Obama administration.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
I'm not sure about the VP slot, because I don't know what Obama might want to do with that, but I'll bet that other than that he could get any position he wants. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wound up with HHS or the AG slot in an Obama administration.

Edwards has pretty much said he doesnt want to do that VP thing again. BUT, man... it'd be REALLY hard not to run with Obama and ride his coat tales if I were him. Especially with all the polls (yes it is early) that show Obama / Edwards literally DESTROYS McCain in the general. 8 years of Obama followed by 8 years of Edwards. Hard to pass up.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
Edwards has pretty much said he doesnt want to do that VP thing again. BUT, man... it'd be REALLY hard not to run with Obama and ride his coat tales if I were him. Especially with all the polls (yes it is early) that show Obama / Edwards literally DESTROYS McCain in the general. 8 years of Obama followed by 8 years of Edwards. Hard to pass up.

i was always hoping for the other way round - just cuz edwards is older and it would've worked better. but yeah... thats just 16 years of sexy right there. i feel like there's still a slim, slim chance - but i'm talking 1% or less that Edwards takes the VP. I could def see the AG but I dont know about the other posts in the cabinet.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
I dont see universal health care... as bad things to motivate people to do.

I do. Universal health care would only be okay in the smallest sense. Unfortunately, it would end up getting abused just like welfare, for example. If you are any sort of middle class American or better, you need to pay for private health care.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:35 PM)
I do. Universal health care would only be okay in the smallest sense. Unfortunately, it would end up getting abused just like welfare, for example. If you are any sort of middle class American or better, you need to pay for private health care.

why?

and what if you're NOT a middle class american? universal health care seems to work in canada...