2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
Gwen Ifill, who is scheduled to moderate Thursday's VP debate, broke her ankle today carrying debate related materials up some stairs. She's still expected to moderate.

She also wrote a book about Obama. Hopefully she can stay as in the background as the guy who did the Presidential debate did.

"In 'The Breakthrough,' veteran journalist Gwen Ifill surveys the American political landscape, shedding new light on the impact of Barack Obama's stunning presidential campaign and introducing the emerging young African-American politicians forging a bold new path to political power.

"Drawing on interviews with power brokers like Sen. Obama, former Secretary of State Colin Powell, Vernon Jordan, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and many others, as well as her own razor-sharp observations and analysis of such issues as generational conflict and the 'black enough' conundrum, Ifill shows why this is a pivotal moment in American history."

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.a...307665403952437

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This has nothing to do with either candidate, but I finally registered to vote today. I've been putting it off for no reason, and today just decided to go get a form and fill the darn thing out. It feels good to have finally done it.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 04:05 AM)
This has nothing to do with either candidate, but I finally registered to vote today. I've been putting it off for no reason, and today just decided to go get a form and fill the darn thing out. It feels good to have finally done it.

:headbang

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 07:16 AM)
There is always this too. Just because she gives a 101 answer, doesn't mean she doesn't know it on a 401 level. You risk alienating a lot more people the more detail you get into. Its the same reason Obama stayed vague for the first year of his campaign, and ran for President after two years in Congress instead of 6. The less that other party has to pick apart of your record, the better.

I don't know. I think that if you really understand something on a 401 level, you can make it accessible to people at a lower level of understanding.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
I don't know. I think that if you really understand something on a 401 level, you can make it accessible to people at a lower level of understanding.

I can remember a couple of the classes I had in college that the professors couldn't relate to 101 classes. It was just horrible. I learned less from them because they couldn't figure out how to dumb it down enough to teach to an intro level class.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
I can remember a couple of the classes I had in college that the professors couldn't relate to 101 classes. It was just horrible. I learned less from them because they couldn't figure out how to dumb it down enough to teach to an intro level class.

But, and I say this with love, Professors, in general, are incapable of relating to other human beings. Palin is, for all of her faults, good at relating to people. So, I would think she's the perfect candidate to bring complex issues to people in a palatable and understandable way. Honestly watching her interviews makes me think she's in over her head.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
But, and I say this with love, Professors, in general, are incapable of relating to other human beings. Palin is, for all of her faults, good at relating to people. So, I would think she's the perfect candidate to bring complex issues to people in a palatable and understandable way. Honestly watching her interviews makes me think she's in over her head.

I agree with the first part of that 100%!

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
Thanks to 2 new Quinnipiac polls in Ohio and Florida.... RCP now has an Obama landslide in the electoral college:

New Time/CNN polls out:

FLORIDA: Obama 51, McCain 47

MINNESOTA: Obama 54, McCain 43

MISSOURI: Obama 49, McCain 48

NEVADA: Obama 51, McCain 47

VIRGINIA: Obama 53, McCain 44

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
Balta,

Where is that from?

Its not part of any Simpsons episode Ive seen (the newest one was Ned and Homer as bounty hunters)...

Is that a future episode, maybe Halloween?

I have no idea where it's from either, but it clearly exists and is now out on the internets. That's clearly from the correct people and has the correct, non-spliced voices, so it's either from a future episode or its' something they released solely to the internets.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
New Time/CNN polls out:

FLORIDA: Obama 51, McCain 47

MINNESOTA: Obama 54, McCain 43

MISSOURI: Obama 49, McCain 48

NEVADA: Obama 51, McCain 47

VIRGINIA: Obama 53, McCain 44

When Quinnipiac released their polls this morning with Obama +8 in FL and Ohio, they said this:

“These polls are laughable. We hope Obama thins they’re true. The national tracking is clear: Some polls have us down 2%, some 4, some as high as 6. How could you have national numbers like that, but have those kinds of numbers in three of the largest, most competitive states in the country? These states are bellwethers because they closely mirror national demographics. Given the volume of campaigning in those states, we expect that they are close to the national track – if not tighter.”

I wonder if they are a little more worried now.

Balta,

Im at work but could not hear the voices, I could tell that it was new artwork and it was clearly not just old episodes that were some how digitally remade to make those scenes out.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertain...-simpson-w.html

As predicted will be a tree house of horrors episode, my guess is that the end joke is what happens when McCain is president.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 05:06 PM)
4 Different Polls released today show Obama up 3-8 in Florida.

To prove that these are not just "fluke" polls, Florida GOP holdd secrete emergency meeting.

Florida Republican leaders hastily convened a top secret meeting this week to grapple with Sen. John McCain's sagging performance in this must-win state.

Their fears were confirmed Wednesday when four new polls showed Sen. Barack Obama leading, a reversal from just a few weeks ago when McCain was opening up an advantage.

The polls come amid a cascade of bad news about the economy, an issue that McCain has struggled with in recent days.

With some grass roots organizers complaining about coordination problems with the campaign, Republican Party chairman Jim Greer gathered top officials at the state headquarters in Tallahassee on Tuesday afternoon. He swore the group to secrecy.