HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

McCain is pulling out of Michigan

John McCain is pulling out of Michigan, according to two Republicans, a stunning move a month away from Election Day that indicates the difficulty Republicans are having in finding blue states to put in play.

McCain will go off TV in Michigan, stop dropping mail there and send most of his staff to more competitive states, including Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida. Wisconsin went for Kerry in 2004, Ohio and Florida for Bush.

McCain's campaign didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Republicans had been bullish on Michigan, hopeful that McCain's past success in the state in the 2000 primary combined with voter dissatisfaction with Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm and skepticism among blue-collar voters about Barack Obama could make it competitive.

McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin spent the night after the GOP convention at a large rally in Macomb County, just outside Detroit. The two returned later last month for another sizable event in Grand Rapids.

But recent polls there have shown Obama extending what had been a small lead, with the economic crisis damaging an already sagging GOP brand in a state whose economy is in tatters.

A McCain event planned for next week in Plymouth, Michiigan, has been canceled.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
Almost.

I dont think McCain's going to give up there though, he needs to at least put pressure on Obama somewhere.

well right. But if you wanted to be realistic about it, PA is gone. But yes, McCain atleast needs to put up a fight.

Let the record reflect that Barack Obama made the approach to John McCain tonight.

As the two shared the Senate floor tonight for the first time since they won their party nominations, Obama stood chatting with Democrats on his side of the aisle, and McCain stood on the Republican side of the aisle.

So Obama crossed over into enemy territory.

He walked over to where McCain was chatting with Republican Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida and Independent Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut. And he stretched out his arm and offered his hand to McCain.

McCain shook it, but with a “go away” look that no one could miss. He tried his best not to even look at Obama.

Finally, with a tight smile, McCain managed a greeting: “Good to see you.”

Obama got the message. He shook hands with Martinez and Lieberman — both of whom greeted him more warmly — and quickly beat a retreat back to the Democratic side.

CQ

Obama Spends $350K On Ads In Omaha

It is an unlikely scenario, but one the Obama campaign has been prepping for. If the Democratic Senator wins every state won by John Kerry in the 2004 election, plus Iowa, New Mexico and Nevada, he and John McCain would be tied at 269 electoral votes.

Obama, however, has an ace in the hole. His campaign has been pouring resources into Omaha, Nebraska, in hopes of getting that one additional electoral vote from a state that divvies them up by congressional district.

To date, the Obama campaign has spent $350,000 on television advertisements in that market compared to zero from the McCain campaign, according to Evan Tracey of the Campaign Media Analysis Group. Obama also has 15 paid staffers on the ground in a state that hasn't voted Democratic since Lyndon Johnson in 1964 and hasn't had a Democrat seriously compete within its borders since Bobby Kennedy's Nebraska train tour in 1968.

"The presence of the campaign here is historic in and of itself," said an Obama aide.

I was wondering if they would do something like this.

So, here is something to consider...

I brought up here, a while back, what I considered the 2 X-factors on election day. In Obama's favor was the turnout and ground machine game. In McCain's favor was fear of the unknown driving some people to vote for him at the last second.

Now that Palin is out there for all to see, I think interestingly, this will partially neutralize that factor that would have helped McCain. Palin scares some people the same way Obama does - lack of experience, unknown person, different race/gender.

I think this VP choice will backfire for McCain even more than we are seeing in the polls.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 04:44 AM)
Get ready folks, McCain is set tp run one of the most personal and nasty attacks in recent history. Ayers and Rezko are set to be the main top of disgussion my the McCain camp. Not the economy. Not the war.

Palin's already bring up Ayers.

I guess if you cant bea tup.... Swiftboat 'em.

Here's the BO campaign attempting to fight back.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
Get ready folks, McCain is set tp run one of the most personal and nasty attacks in recent history. Ayers and Rezko are set to be the main top of disgussion my the McCain camp. Not the economy. Not the war.

Palin's already bring up Ayers.

I guess if you cant bea tup.... Swiftboat 'em.

coming from you or any Obama supporter, complaining about 'swiftboating' or 'smear' campaigning is hilarious. like Barry Bonds complaining because Mark McGwire was on steroids.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
coming from you or any Obama supporter, complaining about 'swiftboating' or 'smear' campaigning is hilarious. like Barry Bonds complaining because Mark McGwire was on steroids.

So, I'm not sure I like it, but if the McCain campaign is going to go after the Ayers junk, then I guess this is "Fair" in the Rovian sense. The Obama campaign seems like it's going to make an issue out of the ol' Keating 5 scandal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
So, I'm not sure I like it, but if the McCain campaign is going to go after the Ayers junk, then I guess this is "Fair" in the Rovian sense. The Obama campaign seems like it's going to make an issue out of the ol' Keating 5 scandal.

when it comes to the future of America and your governmental / economy philosophy, Keating 5 is FAR more of a legit topic of discussion.

This is also very smart of Obama. McCain was set to roll out Ayres, Rezko and lord know what other crap. Keating Five not only nullifies McCain's attacks, it will now force him to go on the defensive. Remember, Rezko and Ayres were hashed in the primaries, Keating 5 has bearly been mentioned at all. This will get more coverage than anything McCain tries to throw at Obama for the next week or so.

I think it's pretty clear that Obama had this in the bag if McCain "went there" and now that McCain is, Obama will push back real hard.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
PS: Depending on how this plays out tomorrow and Tuesday, the debate on Tuesday could be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

I won't find it fun at all, I find this kind of politics nauseating. Makes me want to start slapping random people.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)

I'm sure they were planning to go with a Keating 5 attack no matter what, just like the Ayers attacks were inevitable. The closer election day gets the more accusations will fly. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big late 'scandal' to break, maybe something unexpected.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:47 AM)
I'm sure they were planning to go with a Keating 5 attack no matter what, just like the Ayers attacks were inevitable. The closer election day gets the more accusations will fly. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big late 'scandal' to break, maybe something unexpected.

I don't think so, I mean, his poll advantage is pretty significant right now, and we're in landslide territory right now in the electoral count. People only do stuff like that when they're losing. Hence, McCain saying at the beginning he'd never resort to character assassination and whatnot, but now he's indifferent.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
The Obama campagin should sit back and point out the pettiness of all this. s*** is hitting the fan and all the Republicans care about is smearing.

That's sort of what Kerry tried in 2004 when it came to the Swiftboat stuff.

It's great to talk about being high minded when it comes to campaigning, but the truth is raw negativity can work, and if you don't fight back, you can get seriously damaged. As to how long this stuff will fly, it all depends on whether or not McCain can get any traction from it. I get the feeling that Obama won't press his negative attacks if McCain won't. Because, in that sense, he's playing the role of a traditional front runner - choosing to challenge his opponent more or less on issues than character. It will be both interesting and sickening to see how this plays out.

Thank god I don't have tv. I would chew my own face off if I had to listen to the constant negative ads. It's so sad that those things are more effective than the actual issues. Sometimes (usually around an election) I wish we could go back to the time before mass media/Hearst (I guess we could trace the genesis to him).