2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
PS: Here's the poll closing times for all the states.

based on poll closing, we might have a pretty good idea of how this election will be going right after the first polls close at 6 and 6:30 central time. States include Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, and Ohio. If Obama wins any 2 of those states, it's almost a LOCK for him to win. And the fact that he wins two of those states probably means he'll win most of the other toss-up states as well.

However, if he loses all 4, then we are heading right on into a potential electoral college tie.

Now we all know that there will be whining about long lines and the requisite court order will be granted to keep the polls open for an extra 1-2 hours because people couldn't get their asses out to vote in the allotted timeframe. Where? Cleveland, St. Louis. to name a few.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like McCain is unofficially pulling out of Pennsylvania

Given the convergence between the polls and the calendar, the next logical move is for John McCain to start pulling out of blue states that John Kerry won in 2004 and make his stand exclusively on trying to hold the states President Bush won in 2004.

We're picking up word of McCain ads drying up in states like Pennsylvania and contested states in the upper Midwest. But keep your eyes peeled and see if you see a change. And if you do, let us know.

Would "contested states in the upper Midwest" mean Wisconsin and Minnesota?

It seems like McCain is making his last stand in Ohio, Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Colorado, and Nevada.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Now we all know that there will be whining about long lines and the requisite court order will be granted to keep the polls open for an extra 1-2 hours because people couldn't get their asses out to vote in the allotted timeframe. Where? Cleveland, St. Louis. to name a few.

1. When there are polls where there are consistently multi-hour lines to vote, because they didn't have enough machines, then they SHOULD be allowed to stay open late. That happened all over Ohio in 2004.

2. Why is it you think, since you seem to have a theory, that CLE and STL would be the problem areas?

Why do people get upset when courts try and allow people to get to vote?

It seems ridiculous that voting hours are the same hours that people are expected to work and that employers are not required to allow their workers time off to vote.

Now if Nov 2 was a holiday where there was no work, I could see the argument that they had plenty of time to vote.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this, and I know some people will disagree....

If one week from now, two weeks until the election, Barack Obama still has a VERY strong lead, do you think McCain will start to tone down the harsh rhetoric and try to recover his honor by going down softly?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
Now if Nov 2 was a holiday where there was no work, I could see the argument that they had plenty of time to vote.

I'd rather have that than Columbus Day.

And PS: it's Nov 4, not 2md. ;)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)

It seems ridiculous that voting hours are the same hours that people are expected to work and that employers are not required to allow their workers time off to vote.

I was always under the assumption that they were, or at least they couldn't punish you for taking off to go vote. That's what I was told the first time I voted in 2000 (I was lucky, the year I turned 18 was a presidential election).

At my current job, the time I'm gone isn't paid time, but they make sure to tell you they have no problems with you making arrangements. Maybe I've just had good luck and some really accomodating employers (not counting the time when I was overseas and had to have a hissy fit and write Sen. Durbin, those were different circumstances).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)

Because, unfortunately, the groups of people who typically don't vote have a strong statistical habit of favoring one party over another. Especially if you control for the fact that the areas where poor people live, those trends are exacerbated...if you can keep large numbers of those people from voting by making it more difficult to vote, you can win an election for that particular party. And hence, one party supports more people voting, and one party supports having as few people vote as possible.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)

This is why so many states are now allowing early voting without a specific reason. And it makes a ton of sense. Having just one day, during work hours, to vote, is assinine.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
1. When there are polls where there are consistently multi-hour lines to vote, because they didn't have enough machines, then they SHOULD be allowed to stay open late. That happened all over Ohio in 2004.

2. Why is it you think, since you seem to have a theory, that CLE and STL would be the problem areas?

I sense sarcasm. Including early voting, how many days do voters have to cast a ballot? Seems like plenty of time to make a choice.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
I sense sarcasm. Including early voting, how many days do voters have to cast a ballot? Seems like plenty of time to make a choice.

This will be the first time residents of Cleveland and the rest of Ohio have an opportunity to vote early. So up until now they never really had "plenty of time" to make a choice.

West Palm Beach Congressman Tim Mahoney (D-FL), whose predecessor resigned in the wake of a sex scandal, agreed to a $121,000 payment to a former mistress who worked on his staff and was threatening to sue him, according to current and former members of his staff who have been briefed on the settlement, which involved Mahoney and his campaign committee.

Mahoney, who is married, also promised the woman, Patricia Allen, a $50,000 a year job for two years at the agency that handles his campaign advertising, the staffers said.

A Mahoney spokesperson would not answer questions about the alleged affair or the settlement, but said Allen resigned of her own accord and "has not received any special payment from campaign funds."

Senior Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives, including Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL), the chair of the Democratic Caucus, have been working with Mahoney to keep the matter from hurting his re-election campaign, the Mahoney staffers said.

A spokesperson for Emanuel denies that account, but said Emanuel did confront Mahoney "upon hearing a rumor" about an affair in 2007 and "told him he was in public life and had a responsibility to act accordingly." The spokesperson added that it was a "private conversation" that had nothin

What is up with this district? FLASOXX? any thoughts?

I sense sarcasm.

That's good, 'cause I was laying it in pretty thick. :lolhitting

Including early voting, how many days do voters have to cast a ballot? Seems like plenty of time to make a choice.

I don't know Ohio's laws, Sqwert says they didn't have early voting before. They DID have some districts (specifically, low income areas, as I've read) that had way too few machines, and absurdly long lines. IMO, I think you generally have to err on the side of getting as many votes in as possible, when it comes to deciding on keeping polls open a little longer. I fail to see the harm in doing so anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
I don't know Ohio's laws, Sqwert says they didn't have early voting before. They DID have some districts (specifically, low income areas, as I've read) that had way too few machines, and absurdly long lines. IMO, I think you generally have to err on the side of getting as many votes in as possible, when it comes to deciding on keeping polls open a little longer. I fail to see the harm in doing so anyway.

Electing Democrats, of course.

Sorry about the date haha I was just typing and not really thinking for some reason.

Here are what I believe to be different laws on state voting rules:

http://www.wildman.com/index.cfm?fa=public...4949F14613FBC9B

Usually law firms are pretty reliable for statute information. About 20 states have no laws requiring employees to be allowed to vote.

On to early voting, why is that a good thing? There is still a debate, there is still 3 weeks for things to change, for one of the candidates to do something to make me not want to vote for them or to vote for them. Why should I be forced to vote early just so that I can be sure that my vote works?

Voting for elections is one of the most important things in America, no one should ever be forced to chose between their job and having the right to vote. The problem for many is that where they work and where they vote are not very close so they cant just leave work for an hour to vote.

Ive always wondered why the Presidential vote is not a national holiday, or even a national half day. Sure not every election requires a day off, but once every 4 years American voters can get the day off to make sure they vote. Hell make it so that you get a receipt or something and if you dont have proof you voted the day isnt a paid day off etc.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
West Palm Beach Congressman Tim Mahoney (D-FL), whose predecessor resigned in the wake of a sex scandal, agreed to a $121,000 payment to a former mistress who worked on his staff and was threatening to sue him, according to current and former members of his staff who have been briefed on the settlement, which involved Mahoney and his campaign committee.

Mahoney, who is married, also promised the woman, Patricia Allen, a $50,000 a year job for two years at the agency that handles his campaign advertising, the staffers said.

A Mahoney spokesperson would not answer questions about the alleged affair or the settlement, but said Allen resigned of her own accord and "has not received any special payment from campaign funds."

Senior Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives, including Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL), the chair of the Democratic Caucus, have been working with Mahoney to keep the matter from hurting his re-election campaign, the Mahoney staffers said.

A spokesperson for Emanuel denies that account, but said Emanuel did confront Mahoney "upon hearing a rumor" about an affair in 2007 and "told him he was in public life and had a responsibility to act accordingly." The spokesperson added that it was a "private conversation" that had nothin

What is up with this district? FLASOXX? any thoughts?

He should resign. Now.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)
To hold you over Gallup has Obama +10 today nationally. There is more great news in the state polling that I'll post once 538 puts up their chart.

Not sure where you got that idea. Looking at the state polls on 538 and RCP, it looks to me like the recently-posted polls in battleground states are pretty much in line with where they were. Except VA, where McCain may have closed the gap a bit.