2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
I'm shocked as well. Powell and the Trib.

As for the Trib, I'm not. Call my cynical, but that's one of those "home field" calls. They'd probably have gotten a lot of crap if they didnt support him and the GOP would have said something like "his home town paper wont even endorse Obama".

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
As for the Trib, I'm not. Call my cynical, but that's one of those "home field" calls. They'd probably have gotten a lot of crap if they didnt support him and the GOP would have said something like "his home town paper wont even endorse Obama".

You think the tribune editorial board cares what the GOP would say about it? They are a conservative paper, Chicago knows this. BUt it's by far the best in Chicago and nobody would cancel subscriptions because of htis.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)

The trib endorsement was shocking. Obama is so far from a fiscal conservative that I wasn't sure what they would do.

I honestly think that if McCain would have picked a different running mate the Trib would have endorsed him instead.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 02:29 AM)
The trib endorsement was shocking. Obama is so far from a fiscal conservative that I wasn't sure what they would do.

I honestly think that if McCain would have picked a different running mate the Trib would have endorsed him instead.

This, and I not only say this because the Trib has been very critical of Palin, I say this because without palin, I believe that McCain wouldn't have switched to the "Maverick"/negative theme, he could've continued to push his experience theme. And as such, he could've had a projection of steady leadership during the economic crisis and used it to hammer Obama on taxes.

LOL

David Sedaris in the New Yorker:

I don’t know that it was always this way, but, for as long as I can remember, just as we move into the final weeks of the Presidential campaign the focus shifts to the undecided voters. “Who are they?” the news anchors ask. “And how might they determine the outcome of this election?”

Then you’ll see this man or woman— someone, I always think, who looks very happy to be on TV. “Well, Charlie,” they say, “I’ve gone back and forth on the issues and whatnot, but I just can’t seem to make up my mind!” Some insist that there’s very little difference between candidate A and candidate B. Others claim that they’re with A on defense and health care but are leaning toward B when it comes to the economy.

I look at these people and can’t quite believe that they exist. Are they professional actors? I wonder. Or are they simply laymen who want a lot of attention?

To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. “Can I interest you in the chicken?” she asks. “Or would you prefer the platter of s*** with bits of broken glass in it?”

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
How many conservatives will use ACORN as some kind of excuse for Obama winning?

About as many Dems who blame voting machines for Kerry losing.

In both cases, there may be a small sliver of real effect in there, but its not enough to tip any scales.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
FWIW, NRO is reporting from a variety of sources that Jamie Dimon has agreed in principle to be Obama's Treasury Secretary.

Well, he is leading one of the few banks that remained semi-intact through this mess (Chase/JPM).

But these sorts of things are, I believe, not supposed to be publically acknowledged or announced before the election.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Well, he is leading one of the few banks that remained semi-intact through this mess (Chase/JPM).

But these sorts of things are, I believe, not supposed to be publically acknowledged or announced before the election.

It's actually illegal for either side to officially announce those things because it's illegal to make a deal in exchange for a vote. But precedent says that as long as you keep things under the table, no one really minds, it was pretty widely understood that Powell would have a seat at the table after 2000, for Example.

What's the deal with the big fuss being made over Biden's "Obama's going to be tested" remarks? Strategically it may be a silly thing for Biden to say. But just because it was recorded behind closed doors doesn't make it particularly interesting. Of course Obama will be tested. Maybe it's just Matt Drudge being a goof.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
So much for getting away from big bankings influence...

Why on earth would you put someone in a position like that who doesn't have knowledge of how the banking industry operates?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Why on earth would you put someone in a position like that who doesn't have knowledge of how the banking industry operates?

The funny thing is that I believe they should have tons of banking experience, and I think Dimon will do a great job. There was a whole lot of people who thought that because Paulsen came from a bank, he shouldn't be in the government, just a few short weeks ago, I am sure they will all of the sudden change their minds though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
The funny thing is that I believe they should have tons of banking experience, and I think Dimon will do a great job. There was a whole lot of people who thought that because Paulsen came from a bank, he shouldn't be in the government, just a few short weeks ago, I am sure they will all of the sudden change their minds though.

Seems to me that he pretty much just sucks at his job which is why people don't seem to like him.