Danny Wright for closer

PWSox87

I think that Danny Wright should be converted to closer. He has a good fastball and curveball and is always effective with the whitesox early in the games. However, he usually runs into trouble after a few innings and can not go deep into games and has a 5. something ERA. Now that Ring is gone and Marte and Gordon are being really effective as setup men the should give Wright an opportunity. It wouldn't hurt and he woul deffinitely do better than Billy Kock. Then the whitesox could go back into the maret for another starter. They could temporarily use Cotts, Rauch or Stewart...if they are successful keep them...but if they aren't go after Ponson again, or also I have heard interst aobut San Diego's ace Brian Lawrence who i like a lot :huh:

I think that Danny Wright should be converted to closer. He has a good fastball and curveball and is always effective with the whitesox early in the games. However, he usually runs into trouble after a few innings and can not go deep into games and has a 5. something ERA. Now that Ring is gone and Marte and Gordon are being really effective as setup men the should give Wright an opportunity. It wouldn't hurt and he woul deffinitely do better than Billy Kock. Then the whitesox could go back into the maret for another starter. They could temporarily use Cotts, Rauch or Stewart...if they are successful keep them...but if they aren't go after Ponson again, or also I have heard interst aobut San Diego's ace Brian Lawrence who i like a lot  :huh:

Cotts is not ready, Rauch is hurt, Stewart just coming back off DL. Probably need another option if that route is taken, not that I think it will.

I didn't know about the injury status of those minor leaguers...which is too bad. :huh:

But there is no way that the wsox can trade Koch for someone good. Maybe Wright or another sox pitcher would be a good long term solution...bu for now Gordon has to be the answer. I am sure that there are plenty of teams who would lve to have gordon close

But there is no way that the wsox can trade Koch for someone good. Maybe Wright or another sox pitcher would be a good long term solution...bu for now Gordon has to be the answer. I am sure that there are plenty of teams who would lve to have gordon close

Your probably right that Koch's value is down, but I think there are some teasm that might take him. I would think that Gordon is the option/answer right now, but for the Sox and not some other team. There are teasm that inquired about Flash, but I would like to keep him on our team.

Wright is ineffective because he does not have good control of his pitches. He walks a ton of people.

I could see where him being a closer could work out...but then again, he could be just like Koch of last year. Walk the first guy, give up a hit to the next, and get out of it. I don't want that from my closer.

It'd be worth a shot though. He does have good stuff.

I think that Danny Wright should be converted to closer. He has a good fastball and curveball and is always effective with the whitesox early in the games. However, he usually runs into trouble after a few innings and can not go deep into games and has a 5. something ERA. Now that Ring is gone and Marte and Gordon are being really effective as setup men the should give Wright an opportunity. It wouldn't hurt and he woul deffinitely do better than Billy Kock. Then the whitesox could go back into the maret for another starter. They could temporarily use Cotts, Rauch or Stewart...if they are successful keep them...but if they aren't go after Ponson again, or also I have heard interst aobut San Diego's ace Brian Lawrence who i like a lot  :huh:

welcome to soxtalk! :cheers

My suggestion, and maybe it's more out of frustration, but let's trade Billy Koch for a closer becasue he certainly isn't it.

Well, you could trade Koch for Weaver and someone and then move Wright to the bullpen. See how he handles one and two innings stints and then turn him into the closer.

The only thing is its rather risky to turn him to a closer midseason with the Sox in the race.

I do agree that he has what it takes to close.

Unfortunately, this season I don't think Wright has been all that good early on. He seems to give up his runs in the first couple innings and then absolutely dominate as the game goes on.

Of course he has such a high pitch count by the 6th inning that its hard for him to go deep into games.

Rauch is the only one that could be ready and he's currently on the DL, so an in house replacement in the rotation just wouldn't work.

That would be really stupid.  Don't see that happening.

That wouldn't happen. If they deal for Weaver it would be a Koch for Weaver deal.

Adding Weaver and giving up one of your best relievers in Tom, who also doesn't make much money wouldn't make any sense from the White Sox perspective.

Now if you move Koch and pick up Weaver you kind of swap even salaries and I think you get a little more in return. I also have no doubt that Jeff Weaver would be a very very good #5 guy with Wright in the pen. I don't think they would immediately move Wright to closer, but maybe they've talked to him about that.

If they've talked to him about it, I guess it would be fine to just go for it. I just think it would be awfully risky. Then again, if a guy can pitch he should be able to do it anywhere, imo.

And if the Sox really wanted to bolster their pitching core, they could do a Ponson for Konerko swap and a Koch for Weaver swap and go with Weaver and Wright in the pen, giving them two very good long guys and then swap Glover and a prospect for a good set up type guy with Tom and Marte closing.

Don't know how much sense it would make to use Weaver out of the pen though, I happen to love him as a starter, but it would give the Sox a ton of arms.

Then when they lose Colon they have Weaver and resign Ponson and those two step into the rotation. So the moves solidify the team this year and in the future.

I don't think Danny would get lit in a relief duty simply because he can throw it a little harder. As a starter, he has to conserve his arm a little bit so as to not get tired to early as a starter. As a reliever of any kind, the most you'll probably ever work is 4 innings, and that's in mop-up duty. In a close game, 2 innings is probably all you'll throw.

I think Danny would make a great reliever....but maybe that's just me.