Chris Singleton

fathom

Never in a million years did I think I'd say this, but Chris Singleton is awesome on ESPN. He was on ESPNews earlier, and he's on Baseball Tonight now. He's easily the best of the ex-baseball players they've had on the show in the last 5 years. I'm proud of him, as he looks like a natural at this.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
Never in a million years did I think I'd say this, but Chris Singleton is awesome on ESPN. He was on ESPNews earlier, and he's on Baseball Tonight now. He's easily the best of the ex-baseball players they've had on the show in the last 5 years. I'm proud of him, as he looks like a natural at this.

I was thinking that when watching earlier.

Maybe just getting away from Farmer helps?

Caught him on BBTN last night. Thought that he was competent and did a good job, but my problem with Singleton has always been that he has no personality. Maybe it'll come out over time as he gets more experience and becomes more comfortable in that role.

Anyway, Singleton going to ESPN and Stoney taking his place appears to be a win-win. Chris might be able to fill Harold Reynolds' shoes in time.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)

Good for him. I thought Ed was holding him back.

Bob

Doesn't surprise me at all. I don't think people realize how different doing a game and doing studio work is, but they are just different animals. With the studio work, you have time to be prepared and you know what your going to say and can even read off a prompter often times. With doing the games, you have to be able to improvise and go as it happens and that is a lot more difficult for some people.

I don't think Chris is great at the going with the flow yet (he might yet turn out to be though, still a young guy) and if you combine that with being thrown into the fire of working with Ed Farmer as your first gig and he was in a tough spot. I am not surprised to hear he's doing well at ESPN so far and I think he'll only get better with more experience.