Frank Thomas Thread

knightni

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
I just threw up in my mouth a little. Good to see him start off hot, but that uniform just makes me want to curl up in fetal position and sob.

Exactly.

It reminded me of 1993 when they pwn3d Jack McDowell.

:angry:

Frank is such a great player and a great guy. I love rooting for this guy. A boyhood hero of mine, he's never come within a wiff of 'roids or PEDs. A great role model for kids and a class act to boot. Sure, he can be petulant and aloof (very different from arrogant), and he lost some of his prime years to injury, but is there another White Sox who was ever more feared in his prime? Who was ever a better hitter? The numbers he put up in the 90's without roids will stand the test of time. He is one of the 30 greatest hitters of all time.

I wish the Big Hurt well this year and can't wait until he takes his rightful place in Cooperstown!

Trouble in Toronto;

According to Blue Jays manager John Gibbons, Frank Thomas will not be in the starting lineup for the time being as he is off to another slow start.

The Big Hurt was obviously frustrated with Gibbons' decision and thinks it might be about more than his offensive struggles. "Basically, I've been told that I'm not going to be in that lineup," Thomas said. "Gibby told me that this morning. I see it as something else is going on. We'll see how that plays out." He went on to say, "There are some things going on around here this year that I haven't been happy about."

Thomas, who is batting .167 with three homers and 11 RBIs in 60 at-bats, said the Blue Jays are cutting his playing time to prevent the option from kicking in.

"It's pretty obvious," Thomas said. "Sixty at bats isn't enough to make that decision. I'm angry, I know I can help this team. My career isn't going to end like this."

I agree with Frank . Benched for Matt Stairs? After 60 ABs? He was arguably their most effective hitter last season. Something is going on. It was not the best contract for Toronto, but you don't do this to a Legend. If this turns out to be a big deal all season, I have found a new franchise to hate.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
I agree with Frank . Benched for Matt Stairs? After 60 ABs? He was arguably their most effective hitter last season. Something is going on. It was not the best contract for Toronto, but you don't do this to a Legend. If this turns out to be a big deal all season, I have found a new franchise to hate.

Why? Toronto doesn't owe Frank anything. He's well on his way to getting the number of plate appearances necessary for the option. If he was worried about the Blue Jays cutting his playing time in order to keep the option from activating, maybe just maybe, just like with the contract containing the diminished skills clause he signed with the White Sox, he shouldn't have signed it. He'll get more opportunities, but he was awful in spring training, and awful except for a few games this season, he's going to have to perform to get paid. Would you be up in arms if Thome was in the exact same situation to kick in a $10 million option next year and wasn't doing jack, and the Sox tried something else?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Why? Toronto doesn't owe Frank anything. He's well on his way to getting the number of plate appearances necessary for the option. If he was worried about the Blue Jays cutting his playing time in order to keep the option from activating, maybe just maybe, just like with the contract containing the diminished skills clause he signed with the White Sox, he shouldn't have signed it. He'll get more opportunities, but he was awful in spring training, and awful except for a few games this season, he's going to have to perform to get paid. Would you be up in arms if Thome was in the exact same situation to kick in a $10 million option next year and wasn't doing jack, and the Sox tried something else?

Considering how righty dominant the Blue Jays lineup is, it makes sense for Stairs to get more playing time. If Frank was performing, this wouldn't have happened.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)

Totally off topic, but Dick, your new avatar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your former avatar.