Frank Thomas Thread

knightni

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
Why? Toronto doesn't owe Frank anything. He's well on his way to getting the number of plate appearances necessary for the option. If he was worried about the Blue Jays cutting his playing time in order to keep the option from activating, maybe just maybe, just like with the contract containing the diminished skills clause he signed with the White Sox, he shouldn't have signed it. He'll get more opportunities, but he was awful in spring training, and awful except for a few games this season, he's going to have to perform to get paid. Would you be up in arms if Thome was in the exact same situation to kick in a $10 million option next year and wasn't doing jack, and the Sox tried something else?

I thought thome did have a similar option, was doing about as much as frank, but most importantly is still playing.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 04:44 AM)
I thought thome did have a similar option, was doing about as much as frank, but most importantly is still playing.

No, his option has nothing to do about ABs this year. Its a team option which supposedly part would be picked up by Philadelphia. There's been plenty of b****ing about Thome since he's been here though. One other thing, you would never see Thome act like Frank is right now, no matter what. Sorry Frank, you make $10 million a year and happen to be stinking the place up. BTW Stairs was 2-3 with a walk in a win taking his place.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 07:31 AM)
see, this is the attitude of Thomas that led to me not being a big fan of his. He's a great guy, no doubt, but he always puts himself over the good of the team... IMO.

Well said. When he said he would have never thrown out the first pitch during the 2005 playoffs if he had known the Sox wouldn't bring him back, he lost me as a fan forever.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 05:39 AM)
No, his option has nothing to do about ABs this year. Its a team option which supposedly part would be picked up by Philadelphia. There's been plenty of b****ing about Thome since he's been here though. One other thing, you would never see Thome act like Frank is right now, no matter what. Sorry Frank, you make $10 million a year and happen to be stinking the place up. BTW Stairs was 2-3 with a walk in a win taking his place.

Kalapse's payroll sheet says otherwise. 1100 PA in 06 + 07 and his option is vested according to the aforementioned. Bottom line is Frank deserves more than 60 at bats to show what he is worth, so does Jim. While there is nothing wrong with an occasional day off, Frank seems to think its more than that. What stairs did in one game is pretty meaningless. I'm not even sure why you mentioned it. How do you know frank wouldn't have done better? You don't. Should I site that frank has had some similar games this year? No, because its irrelevant.

Edited by max power

TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays released slumping designated hitter Frank Thomas Sunday, cutting the 19-year veteran loose one day after he was angry for being taken out of the lineup.

Frank Thomas

Thomas

Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi told ESPN's Peter Gammons that the release of Thomas was "by mutual consent. He doesn't want to be here if he's not going to play much, and we don't want him to be unhappy. He handled it with class, and I appreciate that."

The move leaves the Blue Jays on the hook for the remainder of the two-year $18 million contract the 39-year-old Thomas signed in November 2006.

"Our best opportunity is to put other guys in the lineup at this point," Ricciardi said, according to The Associated Press. "Obviously, reduced playing time is not something that he was interested in. In order to let him go forward and get on with his career, I think it's fair to do it at this point."

Thomas was hitless in his past 13 at-bats and had gone 4-for-35 since homering in three straight games April 5-8. Known as a slow starter, he batted .167 with three homers and 11 RBIs for Toronto this season.

Last season, Thomas batted .277, leading the team with 26 home runs and 95 RBIs.

"I don't know that we have the luxury of waiting two to three months for somebody to kick in because we can't let this league or this division get away from us," Ricciardi said, according to the AP.

Thomas' deal included a $10-million option for 2009 that would have kicked in automatically if he made 376 plate appearances this season. On Saturday, Thomas said the Blue Jays had benched him to prevent him from reaching that mark.

"It's pretty obvious," Thomas said. "Sixty at-bats isn't enough to make that decision. I'm angry, I know I can help this team. My career isn't going to end like this."

Thomas did not shake hands with his teammates following Toronto's 3-2 victory over Detroit Saturday and left the clubhouse without speaking to reporters.

Ricciardi said Thomas was more calm when they met Sunday, adding that the contract was not part of their discussion.

"That never came up," Ricciardi said, according to the AP. "I told Frank our decision is based on performance and his decision is based on not being able to be in the lineup."

He reached the 500-homer plateau on June 28 against Minnesota's Carlos Silva.

Thomas has 516 career homers, placing him 18th on baseball's career list. In addition, he has hit 264 career home runs as a designated hitter, the most in baseball history.

With a career average of .302, Thomas is one of four players in baseball history to record at least a .300 average, 500 home runs, 1,500 RBIs, 1,000 runs and 1,500 walks. The others are Mel Ott, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

per ESPN.com

Toronto is picking up the rest of the contract, so he's relatively cheap to sign.

Candidates -

Baltimore (not tremendously likely) - current DH is Aubrey Huff, who could move to 1B (maybe) to replace Millar.

Texas (somewhat more likely) - current DH is Frank Catalanatto, who is not a prototypical DH

Seattle (somewhat more likely) - current DH is Jose Vidro, who is not very good at all.

Minnesota (seems very possible) - current DH is Craig Monroe, who is dog doo-doo.

LA of A (not very likely) - Gary Matthews Jr. is current DH, with others. Would have to be a platoon type situation.

Oakland (not very likely) - He already left there, they have a decent DH platoon.

I don't think KC is going to bench Billy Butler or move him to first to replace Ross Gload.

NYY, Bost, Cle, TB, Det, White Sox, and Toronto are all fine without Frank.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up in Minnesota, Seattle or Texas, with Baltimore as a dark horse.

I'm guessing he'll sign on with the Twins or Mariners. Hopefully its the Mariners. If he catches fire like he did in 2006, i don't want to face him 15 more times.... What ever happens i hope he finishes his career strong. This would be a bad way to end an outstanding career. Love him or hate him he was the best White Sox slugger of all time. Good luck Frank!

• 5 weeks later...

Just goes to show what a dumb f***ing organization the Jays are and how smart Billy Beane is. Yea, Matt freaking stairs over one of the great hitters of all time who is a NOTORIOUS slow starter.

I hope the Jays continue to flail about with no offense while Frank mashes his way to another great year with Oakland.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2008 -> 06:42 AM)
I just noticed Frank is getting real close to some more major milestones

2 RBI from 1700

8 2B from 500

60 hits from 2500

I think he's close to some walk and run numbers too

Frank is always close to some numbers and the names that he passes are the best of the best that baseball has produced.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 26, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
Just goes to show what a dumb f***ing organization the Jays are and how smart Billy Beane is. Yea, Matt freaking stairs over one of the great hitters of all time who is a NOTORIOUS slow starter.

I hope the Jays continue to flail about with no offense while Frank mashes his way to another great year with Oakland.

There's also something to be said about them not wanting to pay $10 mill for him next year too. It was definitely a business decision...a hell of a cold one though.