Carlos Quentin - Nick Swisher - Jermaine Dye

Steve9347

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
There was no need to put his head down and run for the ball because the CF wall was 420 ft. away. The main reason you put your head down is so you can gauge where the wall is, and that obviously wasn't necessary.

Oh let me make note of that.........Not good to put head foward when running,because it doesnt slow you down at all to look back.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A big part of this is... can Alexei be a capable CF backup? Like to the point of being a dependable late inning replacement? We've seen a good arm from him, but will have to study what kind of angle he takes on balls. How much CF has he played in Cuba?

If Alexei can handle that, no more Brian and Quentin can stay and platoon(at the very least). Remember that Jerry has value being up here as a pinch runner too.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
That's the bottom line for me. Does he make the plays he needs to make? Yes. He made a couple of plays yesterday that were better than an average CF would make.

Swisher does a good job as a temporary CF and I would have no problem whatsoever using him there on a limited basis. But I'm hesitant to use him there permanently, especially with BA and JO at our disposal. And with Quentin looking good right now, that muddles the situation even more.

QUOTE(shipps @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
Oh let me make note of that.........Not good to put head foward when running,because it doesnt slow you down at all to look back.

It's better to have a slower approach to the ball than to put one's head down and completely lose track of it.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
However, he's already had a ton of opportunities, and he's been right where he's been needed each and everytime. He's easily as good a CF'er as the overrated Aaron Rowand out there.

I'd be careful with that comparison.

hopefully we can somehow ditch Uribe by the time Richar is ready, and let Richar start at 2B for us.

Also, I can't remember if I said it in this thread or not, but we should really consider sending Ramirez down to get everyday AB's and playing time at SS and calling up one of Rouse or Bourgeois who would be better suited for bench roles.

I am not saying anybody has said this yet but please lets not say that Jerry Owens is the new Wally Pipp.

Wally Pipp was a two time HR champ and a pretty good hitter at the end of his career when the Iron horse replaced him. Jerry Owens is a... damn I don't know, an average 4A player.

Thanks and lets keep this lineup together forever like Rick Astley

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
he caught it, Thats all I am concerned about right now. Such a petty thing to gripe about, whether he put his head down or not, sometimes outfielders lose the ball when they put their head down and run to the spot they think the ball is going to.

ERSTADSUCKS.jpg

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
ERSTADSUCKS.jpg

LMAO! Great example!

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
I am not saying anybody has said this yet but please lets not say that Jerry Owens is the new Wally Pipp.

Wally Pipp was a two time HR champ and a pretty good hitter at the end of his career when the Iron horse replaced him. Jerry Owens is a... damn I don't know, an average 4A player.

Thanks and lets keep this lineup together forever like Rick Astley

Too many out of date references, brain....shutting.........down ;)

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
on that play with Erstad, there was pretty much no running involved. He looked up and the ball was gone.

It was just plain bad luck. Other than that I thought he actually played a pretty decent CF for us. My biggest gripe with him is that he put up mediocre offensive numbers that I'm sure Anderson could've at the very least equaled (his OPS was damn near the same as Anderson's rookie year), and by going to the DL - which even a moron could've predicted would've happened if they were told he'd be the everyday CF.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 07:02 AM)
Yeah, he looks good in the lineup... plus, I don't know when the Sox have had a cannon like that in their outfield. Surgically repaired what??

I am 100% against Jerry Owens being anything more than a 4th outfielder upon his return from the DL. I thought Swisher leading off was a waste of his power, but the dude is always getting on base. I love it. I also believe he is a plus defender in centerfield. What a talent!

Quentin - Swisher - Dye is fine with me for awhile.

If the Sox really want a leadoff hitter with speed, trade for one that plays 2nd and slide Swisher to a run production spot.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 07:06 AM)
Swisher leaves a lot to be desired out there in CF, IMO, but he's a hell of a lot better then Owens at playing CF

Honestly, I can't see how anyone can say that based on the way he's played this season. I'm not saying it will hold up (its a small sample size) but he has looked very good out there. He's not the best CFer in baseball, but so far this year he's been better than average (very good reads, good routes, making all the plays and than some).

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
hopefully we can somehow ditch Uribe by the time Richar is ready, and let Richar start at 2B for us.

Also, I can't remember if I said it in this thread or not, but we should really consider sending Ramirez down to get everyday AB's and playing time at SS and calling up one of Rouse or Bourgeois who would be better suited for bench roles.

I wouldn't get rid of Uribe until we see that Richar is healthy and productive. Plus it really doesn't hurt to have a bench player with the infield defense of Uribe at your hands for late inning defensive replacements (Juan would also be a solid pinch hitter in the right situation because he is great at getting the timely sac fly as well as laying down a sac bunt).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
Honestly, I can't see how anyone can say that based on the way he's played this season. I'm not saying it will hold up (its a small sample size) but he has looked very good out there. He's not the best CFer in baseball, but so far this year he's been better than average (very good reads, good routes, making all the plays and than some).

He's decent, but his best spot would be LF. I would say so far he's average-slightly (very slightly) above. His routes are good, but his reads aren't as good. He's made all the plays that he's suppossed to though, so that makes him automatically better then both Owens and Mackowiak.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)
I wouldn't get rid of Uribe until we see that Richar is healthy and productive. Plus it really doesn't hurt to have a bench player with the infield defense of Uribe at your hands for late inning defensive replacements (Juan would also be a solid pinch hitter in the right situation because he is great at getting the timely sac fly as well as laying down a sac bunt).

That's why we wait after we see how Richar does in 2-3 weeks at Charlotte.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
That's why we wait after we see how Richar does in 2-3 weeks at Charlotte.

2-3 weeks at Charlotte really doesn't prove much as he still hasn't proved he can hit major league hitting. Personally I think the Sox will do this, if Uribe plays mediocre they'll wait to give Richar his chance and at that point if Richar pans out awesome, if not and neither is really playing that good they will consider making a move for a 2nd baseman (since if Richar doesn't pan out they don't really have one in the system, sans Getz, who is considered more of a utility guy).

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
He's decent, but his best spot would be LF. I would say so far he's average-slightly (very slightly) above. His routes are good, but his reads aren't as good. He's made all the plays that he's suppossed to though, so that makes him automatically better then both Owens and Mackowiak.

I'm curious to know exactly how many plays in CF Owens was supposed to make that he didn't. His FPCT was .991, obviously that isn't the end-all, be-all stat but it doesn't do much to support your argument that makes it sound like he is the worst CF in the AL, with an erratic glove and no range. He even had an outfield assist, not sure how that happened, he must've been throwing out Paul Konerko.

also: while looking at the stats I noticed that Owens played one game in RF... ROFL that is hilarious.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
2-3 weeks at Charlotte really doesn't prove much as he still hasn't proved he can hit major league hitting. Personally I think the Sox will do this, if Uribe plays mediocre they'll wait to give Richar his chance and at that point if Richar pans out awesome, if not and neither is really playing that good they will consider making a move for a 2nd baseman (since if Richar doesn't pan out they don't really have one in the system, sans Getz, who is considered more of a utility guy).

Richar already proved he is at least as good as Uribe, plus he offers more speed and from what I have seen, he is as good defensively (if not better) at 2B. He needs 2-3 weeks at charlotte to prove he's healthy and get his timing back. And Richar better pan out, because we gave up a pretty damn good prospect in Cunningham for him.

I would not be put off at all by Richar's .230 average. He showed me enough at the plate to convince me he can eventually adjust to MLB pitching. He had a OPS of .695 which to me is respectable for a rookie, drew a fair number of walks, and didn't strike out a ton. It's just a matter of getting at-bats for him IMO.