Your first place Chicago White Sox!

southsider2k5

Experts counted us out before the season even started. Then we hold onto first for a long time and they come around. One even thought the Sox would run away with it in the second half. Obviously Minny has something to say about that, but I think we have the juice to do it we just need to DO IT!

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
Experts counted us out before the season even started. Then we hold onto first for a long time and they come around. One even thought the Sox would run away with it in the second half. Obviously Minny has something to say about that, but I think we have the juice to do it we just need to DO IT!

I was pretty angry when the person, (who I can remember his name, maybe Steve Phillips) said that we were going to win the division by 10 games or whatever. I knew that wasn't going to happen, so it was hard for me to understand why he'd say that.

i'm not sure you can build an objective case that says the sox are a bad team. anyone who calls them bad needs to step back and take a look around the league. perspective can be very helpful sometimes.

Exactly. This team is not a bad team. We've had a lot of frustrating losses. We are not a bad team. If we could squeak into the playoffs and Mark and Vas get hot, we in fact could be a successful postseason team. IF ...

With the Sox and Twinkies tied, here is a quick look at remaining schedules...

AVERAGE WIN PCT OF REMAINING OPPONENTS:

CWS: .510

MIN: .498

PCT OF REMAINING GAMES ON THE ROAD*:

CWS: 48.7% (19 of 39)

MIN: 61.5% (24 of 39)

* = one of the home games is the completion against BAL, which will be played there, but with the Sox playing as home team

So, SOS is in MIN's favor by a little bit, but the Twins have a lot more road games remaining.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
With the Sox and Twinkies tied, here is a quick look at remaining schedules...

AVERAGE WIN PCT OF REMAINING OPPONENTS:

CWS: .510

MIN: .498

PCT OF REMAINING GAMES ON THE ROAD*:

CWS: 48.7% (19 of 39)

MIN: 61.5% (24 of 39)

* = one of the home games is the completion against BAL, which will be played there, but with the Sox playing as home team

So, SOS is in MIN's favor by a little bit, but the Twins have a lot more road games remaining.

SOS is somewhat deceiving. Here are the remaining opponents still in the playoff hunt:

Sox - 3 vs TB, 3 at BOS, 3 vs LAA, 4 at NYY, 3 at MIN = 16 games

MIN - 4 at LAA, 4 at TB, 3 vs CHI = 11 games

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 07:10 AM)
SOS is somewhat deceiving. Here are the remaining opponents still in the playoff hunt:

Sox - 3 vs TB, 3 at BOS, 3 vs LAA, 4 at NYY, 3 at MIN = 16 games

MIN - 4 at LAA, 4 at TB, 3 vs CHI = 11 games

The fact that they have 7 games AT LAA/TB and we only have 6 and at home could end up being huge.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 06:47 AM)
The fact that they have 7 games AT LAA/TB and we only have 6 and at home could end up being huge.

They have 8 at LAA/TB, and we have 10 at BOS/NYY/MIN.

It seems like that final series vs them will be the deciding factor.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 07:03 AM)
71-53 +1 game over MN

to match our 2005 record, we need to go 28-10 the rest of the way (.737 WPCT)

it's a (VERY)long shot but, what the hell..

edit: to match our 2006 record, we just need to go .500 the rest of the way

also, we are 17-13 since the ASB (.566 WPCT)

Edited by joesaiditstrue

If it comes down to those 3 games at Minn, I don't think I could bear it. It will be crazy pressure. Man ... nailbiting time. Sports are so crazy. We got older players who you'd think would overcome the young Twins. But s*** anything can and does happen in the Twinkdome.

We are getting back to good baseball as evident by the win streak and we are killing oponents and not winning close games. This is when you know the Sox are playing well when they don't just win, they crush. Just look at how the run differtial has gone up since the start of the KC series.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
73-53, still +1 over the farking Twins.

20 games over .500 for the first time this year.

There was a ball player from the past whose name escapes me. Supposedly he had a great feel for the game and some litmus tests for great teams. One of them was that teams that make it to 20 games above .500 typically increase their spread rather than the other way around. He never researched the stuff but some announcer or expert did a quick look and noted that there is a lot of truth to it. I hope it works that way for the Sox as well.