The Fields Era ~ Developing a young talent

Texsox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
Who? Garland? We won that trade. Gio and DLS, we clearly got the best of that for this team. 30 million and a pitcher like Sabathia on the market=better.

There is no way the White Sox sign Sabathia. If he doesn't stay with Cleveland, the Yankees will give him half of Manhattan for a lot of years. The White Sox stretched out their policy for Buerhle and Linebrink, giving them 4 years each. CC is going to cost at least as much as both of them combined for more years. There's no way KW and JR would give that kind of money and years to a great but extremely overweight pitcher.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 06:24 PM)
No, I understand what you're saying. And I am certainly in favor of transitioning to some of the younger kids. But not ALL of the younger kids. I guess that is the point I am trying to make. You need some veterans. And those with playoff experience are pretty invaluable if you're trying to field a "win-now" team.

I have a solution to our disagreement. This year, we win the whole f***ing thing. That way, Quentin, Swisher, Anderson, Floyd, Danks, Logan, etc., all have 1 full playoff run under their belt, while Buehrle, Konerko, AJ have 2, and guys like Vazquez, Linebrink, and so on are in-between. That way, when we bring up Richar and Fields next year...everyone else has plenty of playoff experience.

Deal?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
I have a solution to our disagreement. This year, we win the whole f***ing thing. That way, Quentin, Swisher, Anderson, Floyd, Danks, Logan, etc., all have 1 full playoff run under their belt, while Buehrle, Konerko, AJ have 2, and guys like Vazquez, Linebrink, and so on are in-between. That way, when we bring up Richar and Fields next year...everyone else has plenty of playoff experience.

Deal?

If they win the WS, they must change the entire pitching staff because of the fatigue of the playoffs if they want to repeat. No?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)

Deal?

Well, I'd still like to sign Joe and deal Fields, and you know if we won it all again with Joe there is no way he would not be re-signed...:)

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
If Crede keeps producing and Harden is made available... would anyone be willing to package Fields in a deal for him? I dont even know if we have enough to get Harden but just putting it out there.

Well, I made this suggestion last night...and then of course got home from the bar after the Championship game and saw that he was scratched from his next start. So the problems have already started....

As for having enough, I think this latest setback just hurt his value tremendously...even if he stays healthy for the next few months, the fact that injury with him is ALWAYS an issue will cut his trade value in half if not more...

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
If Crede keeps producing and Harden is made available... would anyone be willing to package Fields in a deal for him? I dont even know if we have enough to get Harden but just putting it out there.

I wouldn't give up anything of value for Harden right now unless they took on a contract. Notably, Contreras. I mean, it'd be like trading for Mark Prior a year ago. It's just not an intelligent gamble.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
I wouldn't give up anything of value for Harden right now unless they took on a contract. Notably, Contreras. I mean, it'd be like trading for Mark Prior a year ago. It's just not an intelligent gamble.

Would you trade Egbert and Brian Anderson?

Harden's still too much of an injury risk for mine.

I'd probably target Blanton if I was going with one of the 2, but he's quite similar to Garland really.

I still prefer the idea of targeting either Cain or Linecum using a package including Fields.

The Giants are desperate for help in that lineup, and Fields would be an ideal building block for them.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
Harden's still too much of an injury risk for mine.

I'd probably target Blanton if I was going with one of the 2, but he's quite similar to Garland really.

I still prefer the idea of targeting either Cain or Linecum using a package including Fields.

The Giants are desperate for help in that lineup, and Fields would be an ideal building block for them.

How is Fields a building block for them but Lincecum not a building block?

Not saying they shouldn't deal Lincecum to strengthen their system, but I think the best move would be to keep him a few years and then unload him for 2-3 high-upside prospects...

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)

Reportedly, the going rate last offseason on Blanton for one team that asked was "Philip Hughes and Joba Chamberlain". Billy Beane didn't want to trade him last offseason at all.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
Would you trade Egbert and Brian Anderson?

If we could dump Contreras's contract in the same deal I'd probably do it. But I don't think I'd do Anderson for Harden straight up honestly. I just think he's going to be in the Prior boat where he's constantly injured whether we like it or not, and counting on him to be healthy will just screw us over for the future.

Well they both are obviously, but Fields fits more of what they are after right now IMHO.

The Giants lineup is the worst in baseball, and they need to win as much as they can now to keep filling that ballpark. Fields would help them win more over the next couple of seasons than Linecum IMHO, but Linecum's argubly the better talent obviously.

Here's a scenario though.

If the Sox could include Contreras in a deal, and pay at least 50% of his salary for the next couple of seasons (can't remember if he has a NTC), would you do that deal, Contreras and Fields for Linecum.

Jose could put up decent numbers pitching in the NL and in that ballpark I'd think.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
Reportedly, the going rate last offseason on Blanton for one team that asked was "Philip Hughes and Joba Chamberlain". Billy Beane didn't want to trade him last offseason at all.

Yeah I can't really see anything changing there with Beane and his demands.

Maybe some team will cave at the deadline, we'll see.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Well they both are obviously, but Fields fits more of what they are after right now IMHO.

The Giants lineup is the worst in baseball, and they need to win as much as they can now to keep filling that ballpark. Fields would help them win more over the next couple of seasons than Linecum IMHO, but Linecum's argubly the better talent obviously.

Here's a scenario though.

If the Sox could include Contreras in a deal, and pay at least 50% of his salary for the next couple of seasons (can't remember if he has a NTC), would you do that deal, Contreras and Fields for Linecum.

Jose could put up decent numbers pitching in the NL and in that ballpark I'd think.

I do not believe Jose has any no-trade protection any longer.

And yes, I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 07:14 PM)
Of course all of this is dependent on Crede firing Bora$$ as an agent and re-signing with the Sox.

So it's all a wait and see until then.

In other words, it's not happening. Because if Crede was willing to re-up with the Sox and fire his agent, he could easily have done it several years ago.

I think Crede wants to stay with the whitesox, but assuming he stays relatively healthy.... It would be hard to pass on a guy like Harden. That is a potential ace and we could put him 3rd in the rotation. That would definitely set us up for the playoff stretch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
In other words, it's not happening. Because if Crede was willing to re-up with the Sox and fire his agent, he could easily have done it several years ago.

I don't know man...

He keeps reiterating how much he wants to stay in Chicago.

I wouldn't be shocked if he either fires Boras or regulates his ass...

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Even throwing all that out, they still are in a tough spot. If somehow they did re-sign Joe mid season, everyone would now know Fields is expendable. If a team wants Fields, they are going to trade for him, but it's going to hurt his value.

In that scenario, Fields becomes the Sox' future DH as well as insurance at 3B.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
I don't know man...

He keeps reiterating how much he wants to stay in Chicago.

I wouldn't be shocked if he either fires Boras or regulates his ass...

He could have done this a year and a half ago. He could have done something when they pointed out that KW had gone to Boras's people and asked about an extension and been turned down.

If he wanted to stay in Chicago, he could have made it happen a long time ago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
He could have done this a year and a half ago. He could have done something when they pointed out that KW had gone to Boras's people and asked about an extension and been turned down.

If he wanted to stay in Chicago, he could have made it happen a long time ago.

I don't dispute that.

But I don't think the fact that he wants to make some decent cash and still stay with this team are mutually exclusive. It would have been terribly stupid on his part to re-up last year. Maybe after 06', but I doubt the Sox would have been willing to offer him what he thought he was worth then because it was really a career year for him.

I think the finite element is starting to get to him a bit too. He realizes he was almost off this team this spring. I wouldn't be shocked if he were willing to do something along the lines of Mark's contract.