#42 ~ Should the whole team wear it Tuesday?

Texsox

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should all players on the Sox wear #42

• Yes, you can't honor the man enough
    • No, too many cheapens it
    • Nobody should. Cheap publicity stunt
    • I just like to vote
    • I like it just the way it is

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
Because we're a bunch of idiots who care more about watching American Idol than voting in our elections.

While that is a very popular characterization, I think we underestimate our interest in elections and what is happening. And it is meeting people here that has changed my perception. Lots of people care, but you seriously can't spend the same time caring about elections as you do on entertainment.

There is still a lot more we could do, but it is not as bleak as we sometimes think. As long as we have people like SS who have the balls to run for office, and people like Rex who will work for candidates, I'm staying optimistic.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
While that is a very popular characterization, I think we underestimate our interest in elections and what is happening. And it is meeting people here that has changed my perception. Lots of people care, but you seriously can't spend the same time caring about elections as you do on entertainment.

Agreed, but there are still waaay too many people who choose to not educate themselves on issues/candidates, or even vote for that matter.

There is still a lot more we could do, but it is not as bleak as we sometimes think. As long as we have people like SS who have the balls to run for office, and people like Rex who will work for candidates, I'm staying optimistic.

Keep in mind that most of the people who post here are intelligent, educated, and actually care about the future of their country/local communities. While I'm not necessarily saying that people here are the exception to the rule, there are way too many people in our country who don't have these characteristics.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread with politics...

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
But I did. You suggested that wearing #42 was a celebration of ignorance and I countered that it was celebrating someone breaking through that ignorance. There is a difference.

That was a very minor part of my argument. I am more concerned with the way it divides people as to say, they don't want to lose their identity as black americans, but they do want to lost it in some ways. Its complicated, and I think things like JR day hurt the cause. I also agree with those who mentioned Larry Doby.

Edited by max power