Contreras vs. L. Hernandez

knightni

"Maybe it won't be the last time, but it will be the first time," Hernandez said of a showdown between two Cuban defectors facing each other in a major-league game. "There will be a lot of people in Cuba watching."

How are a lot of people in Cuba able to watch the game? I couldn't watch tonight's game and I bought the Extra Innings package.

The (now) unwritten rules of Game Thread starting sate a game thread can not be created until the day of the game (AKA 12am CT) unless of course you have winner's rights. I guess I'm going to have to dig up the old thread.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 12:59 AM)
The (now) unwritten rules of Game Thread starting sate a game thread can not be created until the day of the game (AKA 12am CT) unless of course you have winner's rights. I guess I'm going to have to dig up the old thread.

This was an article that I posted.

Someone assumed that it was a game thread and pinned it.

After I saw that it was pinned, I added the other stuff.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 12:14 AM)
To celebrate the event, I'd have no problem if Ozzie starts Ramirez at 2nd base.

To celebrate the event, I'm smoking Cohibas and drinking Havana Club rum.

This could like the start of a great baseball tradition.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
How are a lot of people in Cuba able to watch the game? I couldn't watch tonight's game and I bought the Extra Innings package.

Illegal satellite dishes if I recall.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
We need a good outing from Mr. Contreras tonight.

Just win series, all we can do

Yep, we need a win. The big focus in 2005 was winning every series. If you do that, you'll be playing in October. Plus this is a home series vs. a division rival, so we need to win today even more.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
Illegal satellite dishes if I recall.

I was in Nicaragua with the Peace Corps (briefly, had to come home for medical reasons) and was surprised how easy it was to watch US sports (especially the MLB). Seemed like every bar down there had a satellite, I never asked about the legality of them but it wouldn't have surprised me one bit if they were 'pirate satellite users'. Im sure the case in Cuba is very similar.

Pretty cool that this is the first Cuba vs Cuba game, I hope that Alexei gets into the game as well (although Im not so sure we'll see much of our bench since they all got in a couple of ABs last night).

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
I was in Nicaragua with the Peace Corps (briefly, had to come home for medical reasons) and was surprised how easy it was to watch US sports (especially the MLB). Seemed like every bar down there had a satellite, I never asked about the legality of them but it wouldn't have surprised me one bit if they were 'pirate satellite users'. Im sure the case in Cuba is very similar.

Pretty cool that this is the first Cuba vs Cuba game, I hope that Alexei gets into the game as well (although Im not so sure we'll see much of our bench since they all got in a couple of ABs last night).

If Ozzie thinks Alexie deserves to be in the game for reasons other than his nationailty, I have no problem with it. Ozzie already gets too much crap about favoring Latin players to put him just because he's Cuban.