2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

They're unproven? So what? That's a weak argument. Fukodome figures to be a good bat, "proven" or not. I'd really like for Soto to prove that last year was a fluke, but most projection systems don't seem to think so. Why is DeRosa a bad second baseman? He's pretty average, actually -- his last 1000 at-bats have been as a league average hitter, which is better-than-average for a second-baseman. He gives some of that away on defense, but overall he's average.

And they're not relying on Soto and Fukodome to have "big" years. They figure to be better than average or average at every offensive spot except SS.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Soto and Fukudome aren't good, their offense will be bad. Soto has a 7 year OPS of .780 in the minors and isn't a great fielder, and you can go ahead and like Mark DeRosa, but he's just a guy. And you think they will be better than average on offense in CF? They just aren't all that good, they are going to have to rely on injuries from Milwaukee to win that division. Now that's more than possible, but when you need that to even get to the playoffs, you aren't a very scary team.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Utley misses a game tying homer by a foot, and the Phillies eventually lose. Cubs are playing just awful right now, and somehow still have a winning record.

Just saw the highlights on the news, DeRosa's home run was a foul ball

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
Soriano got hurt doing his stupid hop. Sad to see that they'll miss Santana next week at Wrigley. I always wanted to see how he'd fare against the Cubs.

That hop finally got him like Gramatica.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
Ryan Braun makes Adam Dunn look like a Gold Glover out there

There was quite a discussion on boers and bernstein about the NL Central having the worst collection of defensive left fielders in the history of the game.

Cincinatti- Adam Dunn

Houston- Carlos Lee

Cubs- Alfonso Soriano

Pittsburgh- Jason Bay

Milwaukee- Ryan Braun

St Louis- Chris Duncan

Other than Jason Bay, those are all converted infielders who really have no idea what is going on. Funny how they all ended up in the NL Central

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 07:52 AM)
There was quite a discussion on boers and bernstein about the NL Central having the worst collection of defensive left fielders in the history of the game.

Cincinatti- Adam Dunn

Houston- Carlos Lee

Cubs- Alfonso Soriano

Pittsburgh- Jason Bay

Milwaukee- Ryan Braun

St Louis- Chris Duncan

Other than Jason Bay, those are all converted infielders who really have no idea what is going on. Funny how they all ended up in the NL Central

Atleast all the managers/GMs realize that LF is the least important spot defensively on the field, so they do what they can to get some offense there. It's not like starting Podsednik there for 3 straight years.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)

Cincinatti- Adam Dunn

Houston- Carlos Lee

Cubs- Alfonso Soriano

Pittsburgh- Jason Bay

Milwaukee- Ryan Braun

St Louis- Chris Duncan

I still contend Carlos has got himself to average at worst. In that group he is a gold glover.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
Soriano is a fine left-fielder -- I don't know why he's on that list...

Maybe because he is the only player in the league who can injure himself doing a stupid hop when catching the ball?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
Maybe because he is the only player in the league who can injure himself doing a stupid hop when catching the ball?

or because the only thing he does well defensively is throw the ball. His reads and angles are atrocious, he is afraid of the wall, if he thinks it is past him he doesnt sprint all out for the ball. to think last year that the Cubs REALLY wanted him to play center is laughable

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)

That's irrelevant, but go ahead and try to argue it.

He's got a strong arm -- probably one of the best LF arms in baseball (top five I'd guess without putting a whole lot of thought into it -- I could certainly be wrong, though). Even if his reads are bad, his speed and athleticism does a lot to make up for that. He's rated above average in LF in Tango's Fan Scouting Report amongst both National and Cub fans, and I'm fairly certain John Dewan has him above average in LF.

He's not someone I think as one of the 'best' LFers (defensively) in baseball, but he's far from belonging on a list of the worst.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)
That's irrelevant, but go ahead and try to argue it.

He's got a strong arm -- probably one of the best LF arms in baseball (top five I'd guess without putting a whole lot of thought into it -- I could certainly be wrong, though). Even if his reads are bad, his speed and athleticism does a lot to make up for that. He's rated above average in LF in Tango's Fan Scouting Report amongst both National and Cub fans, and I'm fairly certain John Dewan has him above average in LF.

He's not someone I think as one of the 'best' LFers (defensively) in baseball, but he's far from belonging on a list of the worst.

He has one of the quickest, most accurate releases I've seen in a long time.