2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tommy @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
I don't follow the Cubs but I'm sure it's been a while since they lost a series at home?

It's payback time this weekend.

It sure as hell is.

from baseball prospectus

"NL Rumors and Rumblings: There is growing sentiment among baseball people that the Cubs might be relaying the catcher’s signs from the hand-operated scoreboard at Wrigley Field to the hitters. The Cubs are averaging 6.5 runs a game at home and 4.4 on the road."

Anyone hear Steve Stone say that Ron Santo was complaining how the Cubs have more injuries than anyone? Stone quickly responded to Santo that the Cards have 11 pitchers on the DL, and Santo got annoyed with Stone and "walked" away.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
Anyone hear Steve Stone say that Ron Santo was complaining how the Cubs have more injuries than anyone? Stone quickly responded to Santo that the Cards have 11 pitchers on the DL, and Santo got annoyed with Stone and "walked" away.

Santo was moaning about Jay Payton's homer that went into the basket the other night as well.

piniella has sure been doing alot of whining about being beat up too...i find it hilarious that so many people in baseball complain about injuries, then end their rant by saying "but we arent gonna complain about injuries, its a part of the game"

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 05:51 PM)
When Ryan Franklin is your closer, yes, you should.

that pitching staff epitomizes how bad the NL is ....its a good NL rotation full of guys pulled off the AL scrap heap

Santo is a perfect representative of your average Cubs fan. Stupid, uninformed, and delusional.

Also, it's amazing how all the idiots that said the NL is the better league this year have quited down since interleague started. Outside of the top 3 NL Central teams, that league is awful. This might be the worst the NL has ever been actually. I can't explain why the AL is just always better than the NL these days, but I think the DH is a factor. Either that, or the AL just has way more good (and young) pitching.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 01:53 AM)
Santo is a perfect representative of your average Cubs fan. Stupid, uninformed, and delusional.

Also, it's amazing how all the idiots that said the NL is the better league this year have quited down since interleague started. Outside of the top 3 NL Central teams, that league is awful. This might be the worst the NL has ever been actually. I can't explain why the AL is just always better than the NL these days, but I think the DH is a factor. Either that, or the AL just has way more good (and young) pitching.

oh its the pitching staffs for sure...even outside the cubs those NL Central teams arent that good....i mean right now with Wainright on the DL the cardinals starting rotation is Braden Looper, Kyle Lohse, Joel Piniero, Todd Wellemeyer and Mitchell Boggs....4 guys they got off the scrap heap and someone ive never heard of

brewers outside of sheets are terrible as well....i mean lets be honest, jeff suppan got killed in the AL and is a righty who doesnt throw harder than 88,

the NL West is just laughably bad...arizona is back to the norm offensively...

NL East is the best NL division IMO....i still dont believe in the marlins, but i think the braves are a solid team and i think the phillies are pretty good...the mets i dont see as having enough pitching behind johan, but still are alright

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
oh its the pitching staffs for sure...even outside the cubs those NL Central teams arent that good....i mean right now with Wainright on the DL the cardinals starting rotation is Braden Looper, Kyle Lohse, Joel Piniero, Todd Wellemeyer and Mitchell Boggs....4 guys they got off the scrap heap and someone ive never heard of

brewers outside of sheets are terrible as well....i mean lets be honest, jeff suppan got killed in the AL and is a righty who doesnt throw harder than 88,

the NL West is just laughably bad...arizona is back to the norm offensively...

NL East is the best NL division IMO....i still dont believe in the marlins, but i think the braves are a solid team and i think the phillies are pretty good...the mets i dont see as having enough pitching behind johan, but still are alright

NL lovers will throw batting stats at you, telling you how the NL has leaders in all of the categories. Of course its because NL batters get to face NL pitching on a daily basis and the back ends of those rotations and several of those bullpens can help inflate offensive numbers quite a bit. Compare the pitching staffs of the worst teams in each division. The NL is weak. If we got to play the Pirates as much as the cubs did, we would have a very similar record to theirs.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
Hopefully STL goes after another SP and some bullpen help at the deadline.

Off the top of my head- Brian Fuentes from the Rox comes to mind.

Watching the Cards/Royals game yesterday, the Cards announcers were saying they have one of the best minor league systems in baseball.

I have trouble believing that but if true, GO GET SABATHIA!!!

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Watching the Cards/Royals game yesterday, the Cards announcers were saying they have one of the best minor league systems in baseball.

I have trouble believing that but if true, GO GET SABATHIA!!!

If they have one of the best minors in the baseball then it came out of nowhere last year. They have a classic ability to find good players that other people wouldn't trade for.

They do have the advantage of potentially a carpenter appearance later this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
NL lovers will throw batting stats at you, telling you how the NL has leaders in all of the categories. Of course its because NL batters get to face NL pitching on a daily basis and the back ends of those rotations and several of those bullpens can help inflate offensive numbers quite a bit. Compare the pitching staffs of the worst teams in each division. The NL is weak. If we got to play the Pirates as much as the cubs did, we would have a very similar record to theirs.

Just throw the Royals record vs the NL back at them. 'Nuff said.

Its funny how the tone changes in this thread

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/vie...440&start=0

some great quotes:

I read that the Sox draped a big "L" flag over a counter after Friday's game. I try to be objective, but the White Sox have to be #1 in lacking class

Does anyone know why we don't use any of their traditions against them in the same manner as them draping the L flag?

Because they have no traditions.

LMAO, crying about an L flag

I guess we could run onto the field and try to beat up the umpire or first base coach. Or we could accuse them of cheating. Those seem to be the only White Sox traditions I can think of.

And I've always been amazed the Sox never got in the market of selling the blue "L" flags after the "W" flags starting appearing. For a team that hates the Cubs as much as they do, it seems like a no-brainer.

Hmmm, I seem to recall a few incidents of Cubs fans throwing things at Cubs players(as in baseballs), someone running on the field to talk to Bobby Howry, Stealing a hat from Chad Kreuter, fighting Randy Meyers, etc.

Dont throw stones in glass houses?

Wait... they put an L flag up after they won? That's hilarious. The Sox beat the Cubs, but rather than putting up a flag (or doing anything) signifying their victory, they do something pointing out that the other team lost? That really makes me laugh. What a terrible organization.

This is coming from a fan of a team that blares the "Go Cubs Go" song and raises the "W" flag after every win at home?

The best part of that is the comment that the Sox have no traditions, which is cute. First of all, the W flag and "Go Cubs Go" are very recent "traditions" which were just made up by Cubs Marketing within the last decade for the sake of making money (W flag merchandise) and getting attention. To call either of those traditions is really dumb. But getting back to us, we (well, Nancy Faust) started the "na na na na, hey, goodbye" song being played at sporting events. You now hear that song being played/sung at games all over the world. Second of all, we also invented the concept of fireworks at the game/after home runs, another thing you see at stadiums all over the place. Oh, and hey, what about the singing the 7th inning stretch thing? They do know Harry Carey started that at Comiskey Park and not Wrigley Field, right? That's right, the tradition that defines their ballpark as much as the ivy, drunks, and losing, was originated by the terrible White Sox. But I guess other than three very significant traditions that you see being copied all over the place, we have none of our own. Right.

Edited by whitesoxfan101