2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)
It looks like the Brewers have their rotation set up so that their main 4 pitchers face the Cubs next week?

Not sure. All I know is barring injuries, extra days rests, or rainouts, CC and Sheets will face them next week, won't face them at all in a series in late-August/early-September, and only CC will face them in the final series of the year in Milwaukee (he will pitch that last game, so if they're tied, the Brewers have the best chance unless Piniella moves up Harden or Zambrano).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)
It looks like the Brewers have their rotation set up so that their main 4 pitchers face the Cubs next week?

The Brewers will skip everyone they have to, to get Sheets and Sabathia against the cubs. The rotation was reset after the break to do this.

The cubs are not choking, they just are not THAT good. They are a good NL team but the ability of Soto, DeRosa, Theriot, Fukodome and the continued productivity of Edmonds/Johnson was a bit of stretch. They are good but by no means a forgone conclusion that they were head and shoulders above everyone else.

They fact any of their 4 pitchers made it to the all-star game over Kyle Lohse is criminal.

As much as I hate the Cubs, I never really thought the Brewers would ever get 1 game out. They are clicking though and unlike the Cubs, are winning on the road.

If they are out of 1st place by the time I get back from St. Louis next week, drinks on Gage.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
Cubs choking and the media will still have sunshine in their asses.

Yeah, I've noticed that. 2 big areas have been completely ignoring Fukudome's tanking and Marmol struggling, the media will still talk about Marmol like it's his first month.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=fukudko01

Fukudome was a good player in April, about an average player in May and June and horrible in July

(replace "player" with "hitter" in the statement above, I haven't seen enough of his fielding to judge, but I believe he always plays a solid OF)

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
Yeah, I've noticed that. 2 big areas have been completely ignoring Fukudome's tanking and Marmol struggling, the media will still talk about Marmol like it's his first month.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=fukudko01

Fukudome was a good player in April, about an average player in May and June and horrible in July

Fukudome's decline has coincided with the league throwing tons of slow and away junk to him

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
The Brewers will skip everyone they have to, to get Sheets and Sabathia against the cubs. The rotation was reset after the break to do this.

The cubs are not choking, they just are not THAT good. They are a good NL team but the ability of Soto, DeRosa, Theriot, Fukodome and the continued productivity of Edmonds/Johnson was a bit of stretch. They are good but by no means a forgone conclusion that they were head and shoulders above everyone else.

They fact any of their 4 pitchers made it to the all-star game over Kyle Lohse is criminal.

I'm guessing the Cubs are just going through a little rough patch. Ramirez won't go 0 for the rest of the season. Lee will hit. If Marmol is healthy, we will get back on track. Soriano is coming back tonight.

That being said. I hope I'm wrong and you're right. But I see a lot of talent on this team that just hit a rough stretch, something every team does.

Tony Clark!! Reading some posts at NSBB.com, its so funny how similar they react to us. Chicago baseball fans seem to overreact more than any other sports fan. But their posts are so identical to ours it's scary. Can't wait till the Brew Crew tie them up after tonight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
DBacks really should be trying to trade for Nady or Bay. Their lineup tonight is just awful!

But I thought Chris Young was a hall of famer in the making, that's if you listen to many Sox fans

Haha. He is still a solid ball player, just can't hit a lick in the majors, but brings it in the other facets of the game. How much would they love to have Quentin as their left fielder right now. They have the parts to make a big move for a guy like Nady or Bay, but if their lineup is clicking they are a tough out in the playoffs with that rotation and a bullpen that is shaping up to be solid if Lyons returns at full strength.

Edited by maggsmaggs