2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
Gagne just needs to be released. He is not good and will never be good again. This is at least the 2nd game he has cost them in less than a month. Release him now!

3rd blown save. I fault Yost on this though, as this is the 4th straight game he's pitched in. On a team with 14 pitchers on the roster, you just can't put him in that situation.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)
It only took the Cubs two batters to take the lead today. Reed Johnson was a superb pick-up for the Cubs. He was the righty platoon outfielder the Sox lacked the past few seasons.

LOL at "Reed Johnson" and "superb" being in the same sentence. Then again, it's easy to make that statement when the guy is hitting .375. Let's see... below average hitter? Check. Stretched defensively in CF? Check. Useless against righties? Check. Blocking the Cubs' best prospect? Check. If anything, you should be happy that Johnson has come out flying out of the gates -- that means Lou will probably stick with him longer than he should.

At this point in his career, Johnson is a dime-a-dozen ballplayer -- most definitely not someone you'd characterize as a "superb pick-up."

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
LOL at "Reed Johnson" and "superb" being in the same sentence. Then again, it's easy to make that statement when the guy is hitting .375. Let's see... below average hitter? Check. Stretched defensively in CF? Check. Useless against righties? Check. Blocking the Cubs' best prospect? Check. If anything, you should be happy that Johnson has come out flying out of the gates -- that means Lou will probably stick with him longer than he should.

At this point in his career, Johnson is a dime-a-dozen ballplayer -- most definitely not someone you'd characterize as a "superb pick-up."

Considering they were desperate for a righty platoon hitter, he was a much better acquisition than having to trade Murton and Ceda for Marlon Byrd. Johnson is a career .307 hitter against LHP. I wish he wasn't blocking the Cubs "best prosect", as Pie absolutely sucks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
Considering they were desperate for a righty platoon hitter, he was a much better acquisition than having to trade Murton and Ceda for Marlon Byrd. Johnson is a career .307 hitter against LHP. I wish he wasn't blocking the Cubs "best prosect", as Pie absolutely sucks.

Pie sucks based on what -- his 204 major league at-bats? And for a lefty-masher, Johnson's career .830 OPS versus lefties isn't very 'mashy'.

Talk to me in a couple of months... you know, not 55 at-bats into the season, mmkay?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
They have decent long men in Lieber and Hart (Lou's been pulling his starters very early so far). Wuertz is a solid reliever, as righties suck vs him. Hopefully Howry continues to suck. So far, they've made the right choice in moving Dempster to the rotation.

Lieber huh? Hart? Come on. Dempster will be out of the rotation by the end of the year. They are a tall midget in a bad league. Playing the Pirates over and over seems to help.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
Pie sucks based on what -- his 204 major league at-bats? And for a lefty-masher, Johnson's career .830 OPS versus lefties isn't very 'mashy'.

Talk to me in a couple of months... you know, not 55 at-bats into the season, mmkay?

Answer me this....wouldn't you have liked to see Reed Johnson as our righty back-up outfielder the last few years instead of Ozuna and his butcher outfield defense?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
3rd blown save. I fault Yost on this though, as this is the 4th straight game he's pitched in. On a team with 14 pitchers on the roster, you just can't put him in that situation.

Agree. Yost is the worst manager in baseball. I still can't believe he's hitting Kendall 9th. If he's so worried about his OBP in front of Braun and Fielder, just hit him leadoff and move Weeks down.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Answer me this....wouldn't you have liked to see Reed Johnson as our righty back-up outfielder the last few years instead of Ozuna and his butcher outfield defense?

How is that relevant? The Sox outfield situation the past couple years has been absolutely brutal...you are talking about a team that had Scott Podsednik and Darin Erstad starting in LF and CF. I think taking a s*** in CF would have been an upgrade. Along with that, Reed Johnson was a Blue Jay, so I'm not sure I understand the argument from that standpoint either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
How is that relevant? The Sox outfield situation the past couple years has been absolutely brutal...you are talking about a team that had Scott Podsednik and Darin Erstad starting in LF and CF. I think taking a s*** in CF would have been an upgrade. Along with that, Reed Johnson was a Blue Jay, so I'm not sure I understand the argument from that standpoint either.

Now all I can imagine is someone walking out to center field in the first inning, dropping a fat deuce and leaving it there for the rest of the game. Then Hawk comparing the steaming pile's defensive skills to Yaz's. And yes, it's making me laugh.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
How is that relevant? The Sox outfield situation the past couple years has been absolutely brutal...you are talking about a team that had Scott Podsednik and Darin Erstad starting in LF and CF. I think taking a s*** in CF would have been an upgrade.

This is the funniest post ever.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)

Wow... wite stole the words right from my keyboard, but I'll re-iterate. My answer to that question is irrelevant -- I don't know why you asked it. The Cubs are asking him to be a CFer, despite the fact that he isn't one. He's also blocking Pie, who is, in fact, their best prospect -- a good CF prospect who put up good minor league numbers (seeing that he was young for his level every step of the way) and who is pretty 'toolsy'. He's looked pretty terrible so far but 200 bad at-bats isn't something to hang an argument on.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
He's looked pretty terrible so far but 200 bad at-bats isn't something to hang an argument on.

This is the standard argument for anyone who doesn't like a prospect, for any reason.

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 12:56 AM)
Of course, the Cubs would miss Johan Santana. ... On another note, Carlos Delgado is pretty much a waste of space.

Mets have been good against lefty pitchers, so there's hope tomorrow. Zambrano's dominating tonight so far, as the Cubs are firing on all cylinders. I didn't know until today that the 3 interleague teams they face outside of the Sox are Toronto/Tampa/Baltimore.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
Mets have been good against lefty pitchers, so there's hope tomorrow. Zambrano's dominating tonight so far, as the Cubs are firing on all cylinders. I didn't know until today that the 3 interleague teams they face outside of the Sox are Toronto/Tampa/Baltimore.

To rag on the Mets some more, how unimpressive is their offense aside from Wright and Reyes. Beltran has never proven worthy of his money. I am sure the Mets can not wait til Delgado's contract expires and they can get an offensive 1B. After that, they count on Alou to be healthy (ha, ha). The Mets have a long way to go before they are in the Yankee/Red Sox category of juggernaut.

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 01:15 AM)
To rag on the Mets some more, how unimpressive is their offense aside from Wright and Reyes. Beltran has never proven worthy of his money. I am sure the Mets can not wait til Delgado's contract expires and they can get an offensive 1B. After that, they count on Alou to be healthy (ha, ha). The Mets have a long way to go before they are in the Yankee/Red Sox category of juggernaut.

Yeah, it really makes you wonder what they did this offseason outside of Santana. And I'm thankful the Sox didn't sign Luis Castillo. Talk about someone who's lost 2 steps.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
He had a fantastic 2006, and pretty good 2007(given his contract).

2006 was a great year, but my standard is Manny. Beltran makes Manny money and hits .270. He is good but not worth the money nor has he proven he is one of the top ten players in baseball based of performance in my opinion. At least not compared to the expectations after his half season with the Astros where he carried the team.

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
2006 was a great year, but my standard is Manny. Beltran makes Manny money and hits .270. He is good but not worth the money nor has he proven he is one of the top ten players in baseball based of performance in my opinion. At least not compared to the expectations after his half season with the Astros where he carried the team.

Dude, Beltran received Manny money what, 5 years after Manny did?