2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 06:48 PM)
I thought Beltran had been a disappointment in NY, but his numbers were much better than I thought.

No doubt about it. It is tough to call a guy with those number a "disappointment" but the Mets are a team that can't seem to close the deal. And again, after all the hype for Beltran after he carried the Astros, I think we all expected more from him.

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
2006 was a great year, but my standard is Manny. Beltran makes Manny money and hits .270. He is good but not worth the money nor has he proven he is one of the top ten players in baseball based of performance in my opinion. At least not compared to the expectations after his half season with the Astros where he carried the team.

can Manny play CF too?

I mean, say what you want to say, but Torii Hunter didn't get $90 mill this offseason because of his bat - it was because of his all-around game. That's why the Mets gave Beltran his contract too.

Beltran is good. He had a very mediocre 2005, but he has been pretty damn good and I'd say worthy of his contract the past 2 seasons.

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 02:35 AM)
Is it possible that the Cubs are a better team without Soriano?

For now, yes. But once it gets hot out, they're better with him. How come no one can play defense against the Cubs? Every game, it seems like there are 3-4 terrible defensive plays.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
How come no one can play defense against the Cubs? Every game, it seems like there are 3-4 terrible defensive plays.

I was thinking the same thing. It is like teams are intimidate by their awesomeness. Maybe 2008 will be the opposite type of rollercoaster ride compared to 2007 for the Cubs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
This Mets lineup is hideous. Half of them should be out of baseball.

not only that...nelson figuroa? wow...this cubs team has scored more runs on defensive blunders than just about any other team i have ever seen....this mets team IMO is very overrated. I really think minaya has done a really poor job there. The cornerstones for that team in wright and reyes were there when he took over. He signed beltran to an overrated deal, signed delgado to a horrible deal, traded away bannister for nothing, signed pedro to a really bad deal. He did get santana, but that long of a deal is gonna turn out to be bad at some point i think.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Wait, did the Mets make more defensive blunders today?

Routine grounder to 2nd, Delgado couldn't run the 15 feet to 1st, Ted Lilly beat it out when Figueroa couldn't get there. Reed Johnson then hit a bloop shot into LF that scored two runs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
Wait, did the Mets make more defensive blunders today?

with 2 outs in the fourth ted lilly hit a chopper to second base....delgado barely moved and instead of going to cover 1st base he just stopped and waited for the pitcher to cover who got there late....next AB brady clark watched a reed johnson bloop land 10 feet in front of him and played it on a bounce instead of charging and making the catch...at least i thought he easily coulda gotten to it