2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
Props to the Scubs. Painful as it is to say. They won by default last year. They were simply the best in the NL this year. Now it's time for the perennial October chokejob. We all know it's coming.

...and if it happens, it'll be the biggest one ever. NO reason they shouldn't win the NL, none.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 04:04 AM)
It'll be almost impossible to top 2003. That chokejob is legendary.

It would easily top 2003, they weren't the favorites that year, IIRC that NL post season was a toss up. The Cubs are better than any other team in the NL right now and they have momentum, they're healthy and are hitting on almost all cylinders heading in.

No excuses.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 03:17 AM)
...and if it happens, it'll be the biggest one ever. NO reason they shouldn't win the NL, none.

It would perhaps be a bigger failure, but I doubt it would top the choke jobs (in that sense of the word) in 1984 and 2003. In 1984, all they had to do was win one game out of three, with their 17-1 pitcher in the wings for the 5th and deciding game if needed, and they lost. In 2003, all they had to do was win one game out of three with Carlos Zambrano, Mark Prior, and Kerry Wood pitching. Two of the games were at home, and the Marlins trailed in both of them (including of course late in game 6), and they lost. This year is their best team, but it wouldn't be their biggest choke job. The playoffs are a crapshoot, and the best team doesn't often win. That's part of what made the 2005 White Sox so great, they were the best team all season and dominated the playoffs to boot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 06:34 AM)
I didn't see this anywhere else, did you guys see that the Cubs clinched the division?

I laughed so hard when I saw them running around the field spraying fans with champagne. Thats what you do when you win the World Series.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
I laughed so hard when I saw them running around the field spraying fans with champagne. Thats what you do when you win the World Series.

If the Sox had won any of their 2005 series clinchers in US Cellular Field, I'd bet anything we'd have seen the same thing.

I don't begrudge them celebrating with the home fans. Who knows if they'll have another chance to celebrate? Anything can happen in the playoffs, why not enjoy the moment?

Their players seemed to have the right frame of mind - they all said "we'll enjoy this for a day or two, but we still have work to do".

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 07:39 AM)
If the Sox had won any of their 2005 series clinchers in US Cellular Field, I'd bet anything we'd have seen the same thing.

I don't begrudge them celebrating with the home fans. Who knows if they'll have another chance to celebrate? Anything can happen in the playoffs, why not enjoy the moment?

Their players seemed to have the right frame of mind - they all said "we'll enjoy this for a day or two, but we still have work to do".

Because it's the 2nd year in a row that they've reached the top 8.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
Because it's the 2nd year in a row that they've reached the top 8.

They didn't get a chance to celebrate with the fans last year.

And even if they did, what's the harm in enjoying an achievement, no matter how insignificant some other team's fanbase deems it to be?

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
They didn't get a chance to celebrate with the fans last year.

And even if they did, what's the harm in enjoying an achievement, no matter how insignificant some other team's fanbase deems it to be?

Didn't watch so I can't honestly comment...the only question worth asking is whether or not you go a bit too far. You got to this level last year...your work isn't done yet.

Like I said, every single Cub they spoke to said exactly that - they're enjoying this for a couple days, but their work isn't done yet. No one was saying "WE DID IT - YAHOOOOOEEEEEE!!!!!!!!".

I don't see any correlation between celebrating "lesser" achievements and winning the World Series.

If there was such a connection, you'd see every team sitting calmly in the locker room after every clincher prior to the Series.

You play for 6 months trying to get into the playoffs, why not acknowledge it when it happens? I just don't see the harm, even if others may see it as over-doing it.

Baseball is BY FAR the hardest sport to reach the postseason in, even with the expansion of the postseason over the years. I can't blame a team for celebrating it, even as a Cub hater with an anti-Cub agenda. Their celebration had nothing to do with them losing last year, and it will have nothing to do with what happens in the postseason this year, win or lose.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
I had a debate today with a friend about who Cubs fans hate more, the Sox or Cardinals. He's from downstate, and he simply couldn't grasp what I was saying. So I ask you, who do think Chicago Cubs fans would rather not see win a World Series, the Cards or Sox? I say it's definitely the Sox.

The team you hate the most should be the team you want to play AND BEAT in the WS. :huh

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 12:47 AM)
could this be a Cubs Distraction in the next 48 hours?

http://deadspin.com/5053163/getting-to-kno...leged-road-beef

I'm always amazed at the poor quality of women that you see pro athletes mixed up with. I realize she's just probably something on the side, but c'mon she's about 7 at best. If you're gonna cheat, make it worth it.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
I'm always amazed at the poor quality of women that you see pro athletes mixed up with. I realize she's just probably something on the side, but c'mon she's about 7 at best. If you're gonna cheat, make it worth it.

And if you are going to cheat, dont let someone take your picture while in the lead-up to the act