Supermarket Frozen Pizza

Texsox

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
I will submit, though, that the best drunken food ever...Totino's Pizza Rolls. I dare you to say otherwise.

ive always loved pizza rolls....and to make them that much worse for you...try dipping them in ranch dressing...i was skeptical at first, but its fantastic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Is it any slower? I usually dislike unitaskers in the kithcen, but with my son coming back from college and on his own for most of the summer while I'm at the island, I may pick one up.

the pizzazz will take prolly 12-15 min for a normal pizza, maybe 20 for a thick one like a digornio...it heats up faster than an oven so i think overall the time is less...

oh and there is no better way to reheat delivery or restaurant pizza than on a pizzaz

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
the pizzazz will take prolly 12-15 min for a normal pizza, maybe 20 for a thick one like a digornio...it heats up faster than an oven so i think overall the time is less...

oh and there is no better way to reheat delivery or restaurant pizza than on a pizzaz

Reheat?? What is this reheat? *If* I ever leave a slice behind, it is later consumed cold :lol:

QUOTE (SnB @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
No one else has a love for reggio's? If any of you guys are "crust guys" pick it up one time, it has the best crust you will ever have in a frozen pizza.

(EDIT: This was in response to Max Power. I somehow managed to mess up the quote.)

Sorry about the delay in responding....

Let's see if I can remember the basic crust recipe. You need 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of warm (110 degree) water, 1 packet of yeast, a teaspoon of sugar, a heavy pinch of salt, and a splash of extra virgin olive oil.

Put the warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add in the sugar and yeast. Let the yeast bloom for about 5 minutes (you'll see frothing when it's ready).

In a separate bowl, mix the flour and salt.

When the yeast has bloomed in the first bowl, add a small splash of olive oil to the water/yeast mixture. Then, gradually pour the flour into the yeast-water. You can mix this by hand (which is fun, but messy) or with the dough-hook of your mixer (which is less messy and somewhat less fun). It takes some work to get the flour combined into the water, as it's pretty sticky. If you're mixing by hand, you basically use the dry flour in the bowl to take the wet, sticky dough off your hands and work it into a ball of dough. (This is why the mixer is easier.)

When all the dry flour is worked into the dough ball, knead the dough for about 10 minutes. When you're done, pour about a tablespoon of olive oil into a clean medium bowl. Put the dough ball in there and coat it with the oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for about 90 minutes. It will double in size as the yeast raises the dough.

90 minutes later, preheat your oven to 475 and take the dough ball out and put it on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out into a circle. Put it on a pizza pan or pizza stone. Put your sauce, cheese, and toppings on the crust. (I recommend Pastorelli pizza sauce from a can if you don't want to make sauce.) Bake that sucker for 8-10 minutes. Let it cool a few minutes before cutting and eating!

Hope that helps! You can look at foodnetwork.com for other recipes; I just know this one works well.

Edited by Balance

QUOTE (Balance @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
(EDIT: This was in response to Max Power. I somehow managed to mess up the quote.)

Sorry about the delay in responding....

Let's see if I can remember the basic crust recipe. You need 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of warm (110 degree) water, 1 packet of yeast, a teaspoon of sugar, a heavy pinch of salt, and a splash of extra virgin olive oil.

Put the warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add in the sugar and yeast. Let the yeast bloom for about 5 minutes (you'll see frothing when it's ready).

In a separate bowl, mix the flour and salt.

When the yeast has bloomed in the first bowl, add a small splash of olive oil to the water/yeast mixture. Then, gradually pour the flour into the yeast-water. You can mix this by hand (which is fun, but messy) or with the dough-hook of your mixer (which is less messy and somewhat less fun). It takes some work to get the flour combined into the water, as it's pretty sticky. If you're mixing by hand, you basically use the dry flour in the bowl to take the wet, sticky dough off your hands and work it into a ball of dough. (This is why the mixer is easier.)

When all the dry flour is worked into the dough ball, knead the dough for about 10 minutes. When you're done, pour about a tablespoon of olive oil into a clean medium bowl. Put the dough ball in there and coat it with the oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for about 90 minutes. It will double in size as the yeast raises the dough.

90 minutes later, preheat your oven to 475 and take the dough ball out and put it on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out into a circle. Put it on a pizza pan or pizza stone. Put your sauce, cheese, and toppings on the crust. (I recommend Pastorelli pizza sauce from a can if you don't want to make sauce.) Bake that sucker for 8-10 minutes. Let it cool a few minutes before cutting and eating!

Hope that helps! You can look at foodnetwork.com for other recipes; I just know this one works well.

Lemme add -- you can also get pizza dough pre-made from Trader Joe's ($1 for a bag of dough enough for one pizza). Then all you have to do is roll it out and add the sauce, toppings, cheese.

I'm SURE yours turns out better. I'm just saying, for those of us without patience, and those of us who can't ever get anything with yeast to do anything right, it's an option.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
I will submit, though, that the best drunken food ever...Totino's Pizza Rolls. I dare you to say otherwise.

false, you will ALWAYS wake up to a burnt roof of your mouth

One I really like that I haven't seen listed yet is California Pizza Kitchen's White pizza. These are covered with several different cheeses, garlic and spinach... mmmmmmm tasty! These puppies helped me get through Fridays during Lent the past couple of years!

QUOTE (SnB @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 07:21 PM)
false, you will ALWAYS wake up to a burnt roof of your mouth

:notworthy the voice of experience. You will also find the petrified remains of a few in strange places over the next week. Or, better still, when preheating the oven a couple days later, you will discover you put them in the oven. forgot to turn the oven on, tried eating a couple, and fell asleep.

For a good quick crust, I recommend Martha White Pizza Crust. It comes in a blue pouch and you just have to mix with water. I let it sit for 15-20 minutes on the stove where it is warm with the oven preheating. Note: don't let it sit in a stainless steel mixing bowl if the surface will be warm at all, it will start to cook early!

For sauce.....

1 8oz can of Hunts Tomato Sauce

a 2:1 mixture of oregano and basil (play with the amounts to suit your own taste)

1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon of ground fennel (buy the seeds, dump them into a blender and pur back into the bottle)

Mix it all up and then add a small amount of EVOO (again, adjust to your own taste) Stir in the EVOO well and you will have one hell of a pizza sauce. You can add salt if you prefer, but I don't think that is necessary.

Fennel seeds are often found in fresh sausage and eaten alone taste a little like black licorice. Ground fennel adds an element to the sauce you won't find in a can. Don't skip it.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
Lemme add -- you can also get pizza dough pre-made from Trader Joe's ($1 for a bag of dough enough for one pizza). Then all you have to do is roll it out and add the sauce, toppings, cheese.

I'm SURE yours turns out better. I'm just saying, for those of us without patience, and those of us who can't ever get anything with yeast to do anything right, it's an option.

That probably also works. I've never tried it myself.

I have to admit, though, there's a definite sense of satisfaction that I get when I make something from scratch.

QUOTE (Balance @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
That probably also works. I've never tried it myself.

I have to admit, though, there's a definite sense of satisfaction that I get when I make something from scratch.

I don't doubt that at all. But I'm more familiar with the definite sense of dissatisfaction that I get when my dough ends up a sticky, uneven, rock-hard ball of uselessness. :D

And whoever posted about the fennel seeds -- that does sound good. I'm gonna give that a shot next time.